Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: bobandbarbs

Trips Taken: 9
Traveler Since: 2004

November 16, 2012

We booked this trip over a year ago with the itinerary of spending 3 days in Fiji and leaving from Fiji and flying directly to LA and then on to Chicago.  The flight from Fiji was supposed to be 10:30 hours.  We have now seen that the flight has changed from early on the third day in Fiji, going back to Sydney then flying to LA.  This flight takes away a day of vacation and adds almost 8 hours of flying time as we have to go back and the wait time has increased.  This is an unhealthy and unaccptable flight.  I am thinking twice now about this trip.  I know changes need to be made, but this is not an inconvenience; it is a major change that can prove dangerous to our health both physically and mentally.   I am very disappointed in GCT on this.  

Author: gobuckeyes

Trips Taken: 13
Traveler Since: 2005

November 16, 2012

Just sayin': If you booked over a year ago you couldn't have had a "confirmed air schedule" (at time of booking) as airlines only book flights 11 months in advance, etc.  I have no idea what all your circumstances are; however, the GCT forum moderator posted the GCT Air Dept telephone number in a thread titled "Transfer in Charles de Gaulle Airport" on 6 Nov 2012 (i.e. 800-321-2835). If it was me I'd give them a call.

Author: nanaandpapa

Trips Taken: 15
Countries Visited:

Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

Traveler Since: 2002

November 16, 2012

Currently there are 4 non-stop flights a week between Nadi, Fiji and LAX, on Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. I don't know how your trip schedule matches these flights. They all leave at 10:PM  and arrive in LAX at 12:15PM, a 10hr and 15min flight. These flights are actually several hundred dollars cheaper than the cheapest connecting flights. To switch to one of these flights may entail staying and extra day in Fiji. All of the one stop flights transfer in Auckland, Sydney, Brisbane, or Seoul,  Your best bet is to work with the GCT travel department to get on one of those 4 flights a week. By the way, we did this trip in 2010, taking the non-stop redeye from Nadi to LAX, followed by a redeye the next night from LAX to Boston. I did a trip report on the trip. It is http://jackthetravelingman,blogspot.com.

There is actually another alternative, although it is significantly  more expensive ; There are Sunday  night flights from Nadi to Honolulu and daily flights from Honolulu to Chicago. You could take a layover in Honolulu ofa couple of days.

Author: bobandbarbs

Trips Taken: 9
Traveler Since: 2004

November 16, 2012

I know about that flight from Fiji to LA, but that is not the one GCT booked us on.  When we booked that was the information we received that we would leave at 10:00 PM from Nadi, Fiji  and arrive in LA at 1:15 for a 10:15 min. flight.  We have already paid for the airline portion with the knowledge that flight was the one we would take.  I am waitng to hear from GCT.  I hope they can resolve this.

Thanks for the information.

Author: luisa

Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji

Traveler Since: 2006

November 17, 2012

Wow. I took that trip and it was great, except for the long flight from LAX to Sydney and then the flight to Cairns. I don't mean the plane or the service, but the long time in the air. I was exhausted and my legs were swollen for a couple of days even though I had a aisle seat and got up and walked several times.. Other people had that problem too.

I loved Fiji; it was a wonderful end to the trip, and would hate to have it cut short and would be very unhappy about flying to Sydney and then the long fllight to LAX.

Since you have three months you might be able to get it changed. I assume the flight change is about money, so I think I would pay the difference to fly out of Fiji if it comes down to that.

Good luck. I hope you can get it worked out, it would be a shame to miss a great trip.

Author: gobuckeyes

Trips Taken: 13
Traveler Since: 2005

November 17, 2012

luisa (posted)...I took that trip and it was great, except for the long flight from LAX to Sydney and then the flight to Cairns. I don't mean the plane or the service, but the long time in the air. I was exhausted and my legs were swollen for a couple of days even though I had a aisle seat and got up and walked several times.. Other people had that problem too.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just curious, several companies sell a product called "flight compression socks" for airline travelers. Wearing them supposedly helps prevent swollen ankles and tired legs on long haul flights. They seem to be a little pricey for a pair of socks (i.e. $10 - $20 per pair range). Has anybody tried them and do they actually work?

Author: singsling

Trips Taken: 11
Traveler Since: 1995

November 17, 2012

I wear compression stockings even on 4- hour car rides or flights.  I have tried several pair of those socks you suggested.  Even from Walgreens and Walmart.  It might be okay if the person is small/thin.  I'm not, and the socks bind under  the knee.  Also, the ones I got were quite thin; my husband got a pair and ended up not wearing them because they roll down; his ankles don't usually swell, but  he should really wear them for medical reasons.  Years ago, I was always flying for my job across the Asia continent, long flights/sitting in terminals.  Even with knee high $80.00 compression stockings my feet swelled.  It took me 4-5 days for the swelling to go down, and as soon as I got to my lodging, I would elevate my feet several times before bedtime.  I had to stand for a minimum of 4 hours when teaching, so the stockings really didn't not  help end the swelling.

My doctor suggested thigh highs because they don't bind at the knee.

I have since learned to spend money wisely.  I used to buy from those catalogs that seem to find their way to my mail box.  That's the ones  I'm talking about not worth the money.

I got my last pair from Elite Home Medical Supplies.com 1-800-229-9600., you can also try drugstore.com.  I buy the Jobst Opaque Support thigh  highs, they do not ride down; I get the open toe so that I can wear socks with my sport or casual oxford type shoes.  The last pair cost me 40.00.  They ask you to measure the circumference of the thigh, length thigh to floor, around calf; etc.  They recommended 15-20 mmHG compression based on measurements.  The order person helps you with the measurements, or you can download the page showing how to take measurements yourself.  If you buy any compression socks or stockings, you should also buy the rubber gloves they sell to help put the stockings on, or buy the supermarket rubber gloves (not vinyl).  Helps not to pull holes in the stockings as you pull/glide them on  The gloves help to evenly distribute the compression, as they should not just be pulled up to the length desired.

In addition to the stockings and getting up every 2 hours or so to walk (depending if the flight attendants are not blocking the aisle, I do the recommended feet and leg exercises found in the airlines magazine in the seat pocket.  That seems to help.  Wearing tie shoes help, as told to me by a nurse, although the doctor said that wasn't good enough.

Even people who do not have problems with swollen feet when sitting for long periods, can get deep vein thrombosis.  A perfectly healthy woman who sat in first class a few years ago got sick, and died from DVT. And first class at least has a recliner type base to allow the feet to be elevated at least straight out.  The woman I think was flying from Australia to Britain.

Hope this  helps

Author: nanaandpapa

Trips Taken: 15
Countries Visited:

Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

Traveler Since: 2002

November 17, 2012

In addition to compression stockings and getting up periodically, watch your salt intake, probably for a  couple of days before flying.

Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji

November 19, 2012

I always watch my salt intake, never put salt on my food or use it cooking. When I fly I order low-sodium meals. 

I'm confused about wearing compression hose/stockings. When I went to Morocco I mentioned to the county health nurse that compression hose was the last thing on my to-do list and she said, unless your doctor told you to get them we do not recommend wearing them, then something about the possibility of making a bad situation worse. When I've asked my doctors they have kind of waffled on it and were definitely not enthusiastic but recommended plenty of water, getting up, etc.

One of the problems for me on the Australia trip was that I'd had two flights the day before to get to LAX and then on the long flight to Sydney and did not have a lot of space to stretch my legs out or change position, more than US planes, but my legs were pretty much flexed for several hours. Then we flew from Sydney to Cairns, which didn't help matters and had a long bus ride the following day.

On my last trip, I spent a bit more for Economy Comfort on Delta and it was much better but I don't know if that's an option on Qantas. I would do it if it is.

Author: singsling

Trips Taken: 11
Traveler Since: 1995

November 19, 2012

Luisa,

Different doctors, different patient, etc.  I  have never had a doctor tell me NOT to  wear compression stockings.  Most recommend them.   I walk a lot from deplaning, to the next gate, rarely use the elevators or moving sidewalks, simply to exercise my lower extremities.I originally started out with a prescription for the knee hi's; when I needed new ones, and the drug stores or medical equipment companies didn't have what I liked, I just ordered them.  The medical equip companies want a prescription to see just what did the doctor order.  After a while, when I couldn't use the knee hi's any more, my cardiologist practically ordered me to wear compression thigh highs when traveling over 3 hours, including sitting in terminals.  I got another prescription; some stockings are just too tight to even put on and when I got them on they just were too tight and they sat in the drawer.  I then looked on line and then called the company to discuss with person "in the know" on how to purchase.  I had to fax a prescription, and we discussed what I wanted.  I wanted less compression than doctor ordered so that I could at least get them on.  The 20-30 compression is way too tight to get  up comfortably.  So, if  you are healthy not to get swollen feet while traveling, then you don't need them.  If you swell, then it is someting to discuss with your doctor.  That's how I happened to start wearing them, by swelling, taking too long to go down, not trusting a water pill to allow me to sit long enough during take off or landing, or when there is a long line on the plane to the lavatory, that I figured hose might be the better.

I do watch my sodium intake, but not religiously enough.  Like you, I don't add sodium to cooking, don't add at the table, don't eat canned food, etc.  We usually start a day ahead of time at a hotel, so it's eating meals out even before the trip.  All meals, even low sodium, at restaurants are loaded with sodium.  If you see "natural flavor" as an ingredient, it is a form of MSG and that is pure sodium.

Countries Visited:

November 20, 2012

Singslng,

I'm glad it worked out for you and that now you have something that works well.

I think you're correct, it's different doctors. different patients. I see my primary care doctor once a year for an annual physical and have no heart problems. She told me to walk and drink plenty of fluids (except caffeine and alcohol). I saw an orthopaedic surgeon this year before taking a trip and he said the same thing (I had the surgery after the trip.)

Your experience of needing a prescription kind of backs up what the county health nurse told me -- they recommend not using compression hose unless a doctor advises it. It sounds like they think if someone uses the wrong type it could cause a problem.

Happy travels

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.