Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: gmb1220

Trips Taken: 3
Traveler Since: 2012

October 10, 2012

I'v going to be on the Nov. 6th China & the Yangtze trip but I'm doing my own air. Can anyone tell me their experience doing this.  I'm traveling alone and will arrive approx. 10 p.m.  Would you need the Hotel written in Chinese?  I'd prefer to be taken directly to the hotel so I guess a taxi would be best.  Any tips would be appreciated.  Thanks

Author: rwhansen

Trips Taken: 5
Traveler Since: 2010

October 11, 2012

We arranged our own air several years ago.  We contacted our hotel in advance and had them arrange for a private car for our transfer.  The driver was not there when we arrived but a call to our hotel corrected that quickly.  The advantage being that hotels typically will have someone who speaks English if there is a need.  After asking several people at the airport, we found somone who spoke English and Chinese and initiated the call using my cell phone.

As a second choice, Google " airport transfer service Beijing" and you will see several private car companies offering the service.  They most likely will also have someone who can respond to an eMail from you in English as they are in the business of dealing with foreigners.

October 12, 2012

Thanks very much.  Your suggestions were very helpful.  I'll try googling as you recommended and once I have the final documents verifying what the hotel in Beijing, I'll contact them as well. Again Thanks! It is kind of a fellow traveler to take time to hel.

Author: gobuckeyes

Trips Taken: 13
Traveler Since: 2005

October 14, 2012

Just sayin": In case you do the independent transfer/taxi from the airport, I suggest that you Google "airport taxi scams beijing" to know what to do to avoid being scammed/cheated. There are dishonest taxi drivers all over the world and Beijing is no exception.

Good luck with your tour, I did the OAT Imperial China. Tibet & Yangtze River tour a few years ago and it was fabulous. I'm sure you will really like GCT China trip too.

October 15, 2012

Thanks, that was one of my concerns so I'll also try that.  The final list of hotels has just arrived so I think I see what they have to offer first.  Your helpful comment is appreciated.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.