Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: mjdoat

GCT Trips Taken: 1
OAT Trips Taken: 4
Traveler Since: 2011

October 06, 2012

Hi Folks,

On our OAT Egypt trip I purchased a souvenir at the Egyptian museum which had an issue.  Our guide Sally promiced that we would have a chance for me to return to the museum for an exchange.  I was willing to go to the museum on my own time and expense and make the exchange but Sally insisted it would not be necessary.  We never did get back for the exchange so I gave the souvenir to Sally and agreeded to pay to have it shipped, in addition I gave her a large tip.

No souvenir had arrived after 4 months and two emails from me, with no responses.  I contacted customer services at GC and they took the info and said they would solve the problem.  1 year and 6 months have gone by with 8 calls and emails later with no success.  Each time the rep I speak to assures me it will be resolve soon.  In one case the rep told me that the item was sent with an accompaning email in addition to a separate email with a tracking number.  I recieved no emails from Sally and no package.  When I requested GC to provide me with copies of these purported emails - no response.was forthcoming.

After some research I discovered that OAT/GC has one of the highest unresolved complaint rates in the world - over 100 times the rate of United Airlines, one favorite target for complaints.

Any suggestions on resolving this issue?

Shane Devenshire

Author: grandcircle

GCT Trips Taken: 0
OAT Trips Taken: 0

October 09, 2012

Hello Shane -

I just spoke with somebody in our Quality Department.  We will be contacting you offline to discuss this issue.  We apologize for the inconvenience.

Kind Regards,

Michelle

GCCL/GCT Forum Moderator

Author: gobuckeyes

GCT Trips Taken: 4
OAT Trips Taken: 9
Traveler Since: 2005

October 09, 2012

Shane,

I realize that this is a personal matter between you and GCT/OAT; and understand GCT/OAT’s position of wanting to resolve it offline.

However, once settled/resolved, if you would like to share how the problem came out; I’d (and probably a lot of others too) would like to hear about it.

October 12, 2012

Hi Gobuckeyes and others,

As of 10/12/2012 I have not been contacted.  Actually, considering that I have beem contacted about 8 times in the past and each time I was told that they would get right on it and then nothing happened, I wasn't surprised with the response posted above, and hold out little hope for any success.

I will keep all of you up to date regarding progress, or lack there of.

Cheers,

Shane

Author: travelann

GCT Trips Taken: 8
Traveler Since: 2010

October 12, 2012

WOW......  Unbelievable.....

Author: pauline

GCT Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

October 12, 2012

When I saw Michelle's response, I thought "OK, now Shane will see some action!"  Not so?  Still, keep hoping.

Pauline

Author: janice!

GCT Trips Taken: 7
Traveler Since: 1999

October 12, 2012

Perhaps, the Quality Department has a large backlog of complaints :-)

Author: gobuckeyes

GCT Trips Taken: 4
OAT Trips Taken: 9
Traveler Since: 2005

October 14, 2012

Shane,

Most likely Sally doesn't work for GCT anymore and her whereabouts is unkmown.

However, just sayin'; this is probably a long shot here, but is Sally's last name Abaza? Sally Abaza is profiled on GCT's website:

http://www.gct.com/Community/Harriets-Corner/News-and-Views/New-and-Views-Archive/Challenging-Myself-Every-Day-at-Grand-Circle.aspx 

http://eg.linkedin.com/pub/sally-abaza/21/22b/735

Sally Abeza is from Egypt and I don't believe that Sally is a real common Egyptian name. If that is her maybe she just changed email address, etc., this Sally Abaza does have LinkedIn & FaceBook pages that you could try to contact her through. Even if she isn't your Sally (she is listed as GCT's Regional Product Manager, Middle East) you might try to contact her and just maybe she could provide additional information on your Sally.

December 14, 2012

Hi Folks,

Grand Circle has resolved the issue, although I did not receive the item I purchaced, nor did Sally contact me, Grand Circle did make monitary compensation. 

In all fairness, they (Grand Circle) did this about 2-3 weeks after my initial post but I haven't been back here to post.  One point I do want to make, this forum turned out to be the way to get some action.  After eight or more unsuccessful contact by phone, one post on the forum worked wonders.

Thanks all,

Shane

Author: svncontinents

GCT Trips Taken: 7
OAT Trips Taken: 6
Traveler Since: 2007

December 16, 2012

We're disappointed that it took so long and action was forthcoming only after a significant public airing of the company's inaction.  It's not typical of Grand Circle/OAT, and we hope that it's not predictive of what happens when acompany gets too big.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.