Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: suitcase

GCT Trips Taken: 1
OAT Trips Taken: 7
Countries Visited:

Have lived and traveled in Hawaii, Alaska, Japan and the Azores. Have also visited Hong Kong, Thailand, Germany, Holland, England, Scotland, Greece, Costa Rica. Panama, Guatemala, Belize, Peru, Tanzania and various places in Mexico and Canada. Have also done the Morocco Sahara Odyssey, Ultimate Africa, Namibia, Croatia and Slovenia.

Traveler Since: 2008

October 02, 2012

I had been booked on the Nov 8th departure for Turkey.  Three weeks ago I received a phone call advising me that the trip had been canceled due to lack of interest.  Some things seemed odd to me.  One being I wondered why a trip would be canceled two months prior to departure due to lack of bookings..seems like a lot of time left to fill the trip.  At the same time the Dates & Prices section online had showed all Nov & Dec trips as sold out.  Now the Dates & Prices section for 2012 states information not available.  I'm wondering about other folks that were canceled on this trip and what they were told.  Thanks

Author: jayge

GCT Trips Taken: 11
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Traveler Since: 2004

October 02, 2012

I looked up GCT Crossroads of Turkey and they are offering it for 2013.

I cannot imagine why the cancellation unless they feel uncertain about conditions there at present.

It makes me feel a little uncomfortable to visit Turkey and it is offered as an extension on the new trip Ukraine to the Black Sea.

Author: sealionlady

GCT Trips Taken: 6
Traveler Since: 2001

October 02, 2012

Suitcase, did GCT refund your money?  Did they offer you any other trips leaving the same time as the cancelled trip? 

Author: mertziek

GCT Trips Taken: 5
Traveler Since: 2010

October 02, 2012

This is a great trip so hopefully it was just cancelled due to being so late in the season.  If possible, try to reschedule it for next year because it is such a wonderful experience.

Author: luisa

OAT Trips Taken: 2
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji. Ireland

Traveler Since: 2006

October 02, 2012

They've done this before with the Crossroads trip. The year that I went it had been canceled and then it was back because of "popular demand." And I think it was canceled last year and brought back again. I hope you get to go, it's a wonderful experience.

Author: suitcase

GCT Trips Taken: 1
Countries Visited:

Have lived and traveled in Hawaii, Alaska, Japan and the Azores. Have also visited Hong Kong, Thailand, Germany, Holland, England, Scotland, Greece, Costa Rica. Panama, Guatemala, Belize, Peru, Tanzania and various places in Mexico and Canada. Have also done the Morocco Sahara Odyssey, Ultimate Africa, Namibia, Croatia and Slovenia.

Traveler Since: 2008

October 03, 2012

Sealionlady:

GC offered me the Turkey trip during the 1st quarter of 2013, credit toward another trip or a full refund.  I opted for the full refund.  If the trip was canceled for safety concerns I would have appreciated them being up front about it as they were with Egypt last year.  My other thought was that others scheduled for the trip were having second thoughts based on the situation and were canceling.  At any rate, if the area is deemed unsafe now it will probably not get any better any time soon.

Author: sealionlady

Traveler Since: 2001

October 03, 2012

Thanks, Suitcase!  I've always wondered how that worked.  I know from previous trips that many people have extensions cancelled; the first notice many received was a sudden credit on their credit card bill. 

Now I'm a bit concerned about my upcoming trip, but at least I now know the process. 

Author: janice!

GCT Trips Taken: 7
Traveler Since: 1999

October 04, 2012

A woman asked about the October 11 Turkey trip on the Grand Circle Facebook page yesterday. The Grand Circle response was: "At the moment, all of our Turkey itineraries are operating as scheduled."

Author: mertziek

GCT Trips Taken: 5
Traveler Since: 2010

October 05, 2012

Watching the news and see there has been a second bombing into Turkey from Syria so maybe it is too volatile to go there right now.  A real tragedy because it is such a wonderful country to visit.

Author: svncontinents

OAT Trips Taken: 6
Traveler Since: 2007

October 21, 2012

We're booked on the OAT trip Turkey's Sacred Lands and Ancient Civilizations trip this April, which goes much closer to the disputed areas that the Crossroads Trip.  We would suspect that the OAT trip would have fewer cancellations than the Grand Circle trip, because most OAT clients are somewhat more adventurous than those who travel with Grand Circle.  But even still, OAT may elect to cancel the trip due to safety concerns, which is another matter entirterly.

If they do cancel it, we'll be greatly disappointed, as we booked the pre-trip to the Silk Road, which OAT offered for the first time in 2013.  But what will be will be, and we'll just have to wait and see. 

Author: hawkeye62

November 11, 2012

It's a shame that people are so fearful of travel in the middle east. I've visited nine times and never once was there even a hint of a threat.  I've never felt so welcome and safe anywhere in Europe as I have in the middle east. I consider being able to meet and interact with the Egyptian people in particular one of the greatest experiences in my life.

Author: pauline

GCT Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

November 11, 2012

I agree.  People sometimes have the weirdest ideas about travel not being safe in certain areas. 

My trip to the Best of Eastern Europe was supposed to depart on September 12, 2001.  We finally left on the 21st.  It turned out that about half our group canceled, and so did the next group, so we were combined.  It never occured to my friend or me to cancel, nor did our families or friends urge us to.  And we were welcomed everywhere we went.  There were flowers and American flags around the statue on Wenceslas Square.  A girl on the Charles Bridge in Prague sold me a pair of earrings for half price, just because I was American.

This week, my son and I are flying to Israel so that I can spend my 80th birthday in Jerusalem.  I've been before, but he never has, and it seemed like a wonderful way to celebrate.

But I'm not finished with travel yet.  I have a river cruise booked for July  -  Seine to Normandy with the post-trip extension.  And two more trips in my Travel Planner.

Author: luisa

OAT Trips Taken: 2
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji. Ireland

November 12, 2012

Pauline, what a wonderful way to celebrate a milestone birthday. I hope you and your son have a wonderful adventure and that you have a memorable birthday if it occurs while you are on the trip. 

Happy travels 

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.