Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: pauline

GCT Trips Taken: 11
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

September 28, 2012

I do read the travel protection plan in the Important Information booklet and make sure I understand what it is I'm purchasing.  But the leaflet that is the policy you carry with you when you travel in case you need medical care abroad arrives with your final documents, i.e., final itinerary, list of fellow passengers, e-ticket and your name tag and luggage tags.  At least, that has been my experience.

I have the booklet for my river trip next July.  But the leaflet I have came with the final papers for the trip last July that I had to cancel.  I keep that in a folder with copies of my claim form to Trip Mate.  I did discard everything else.  The terms in that leaflet agree with the terms in my new booklet.  But I just noticed in going through the booklet that different sections have different dates.  Basically, this is dated 3/28/2012.  But one small section is dated 3/07/2012.  The pages within  the Travel Protection Plan are dated 10/2011.  And the Terms and Conditions section says revised 12/01/2011; that's all the legal stuff.

So I think it's very important to read the whole thing carefully, do some highlighting, and call GCT if there's any question about any of it.  The original post is something of a wake-up call.

Author: gibbsgirl

GCT Trips Taken: 4
Traveler Since: 2011

October 04, 2012

October 04, 2012

I had tried to post a reply a few minutes ago and failed - I'll try again.  My husband and I just returned from 21-day China tour.  While on the tour, I fell on the bus but did not seek treatment while on the trip.  Two days after returning home, I decided to visit the ER for X-rays.  Before going to the ER, I phoned TripMate to ask about coverage for medical expenses.  I was told that the policy only covers medical expenses while on the trip.  They no longer cover medical expenses after return home - they did cover these until this year.  Prior to 2012 they covered medical expenses for 60 days after return home.  The change was made at the beginning of this year and it is because changes to our healthcare law.  If that is the case, other insurers may have the same policy.  I will check with Amex from whom I have taken a policy for a trip in 2013.

Author: luisa

GCT Trips Taken: 6
OAT Trips Taken: 2
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji. Ireland

Traveler Since: 2006

October 04, 2012

Perhaps I misunderstood, but it sounds like you had a fall in China, did not get treatment and then called about reimbursement for medical expenses at home after your return. If you have an injury when on a trip, you need to get treatment and documentation while on the trip. I don't think any carrier will cover treatment expenses after you return if you can't prove you became sick or injured while traveling. Trip Mate used to cover related expenses up to 60 days but the initial treatment still had to be on the trip required documention. 

Some policies are very clear about when coverage begins and ends. With some carriers, it begins when you get on the departure plane and ends when you get off the return flight.

So the reason is a change in our insurance law? Another reason to carefully read the information booklet and policy.

Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

October 04, 2012

Luisa is correct.  Even if Trip Mate still offered the 60 day post trip extension for coverage, you would still have had to seek medical assistance while you were away when the incident occured.  What they are selling is travel insurance coverage.  Once you are home, your regular insurance kicks in.

Author: gobuckeyes

OAT Trips Taken: 9
Traveler Since: 2005

October 04, 2012

Re: gibbsgirl....Before going to the ER, I phoned TripMate to ask about coverage for medical expenses. I was told that the policy only covers medical expenses while on the trip. They no longer cover medical expenses after return home - they did cover these until this year. Prior to 2012 they covered medical expenses for 60 days after return home. The change was made at the beginning of this year and it is because changes to our healthcare law.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just sayin': I've never heard of any health care law (including Obamacare) that restricted what an insurer could cover. I think what TripMate really meant was "Reimburing clients for medical expenses (due to a vacation related accident) for 60 days after they get home was cutting into our profits. To stay competitive we really don't want to (or can't by contract with GCT) raise the rates so we'll eliminate the coverage. After all with Obamacare everyone is supposed and/or required to have some type of health insurance that might cover this by 2014 anyway. If we blame it on a government law they won't think that we are just greedy".

Evil Smile animated emoticon

Countries Visited:

October 04, 2012

And it didn't change in 2012.  Maybe 2011, or more likely 2010.  But I don't understand how someone could expect a travel insurance company to start coverage after the traveler returned home.  When they did have the 60 days extension, it was to continue coverage that had started while the traveler was abroad.

October 05, 2012

Whether I had sought treatment while on the trip or not - TripMate stated that they no longer cover medical expenses for 60 days after return home -- they did but they no longer do cover expenses at home.  The issue was not whether I had sought treatment on the trip -- but that once home, your regular medical coverage picks up for medical expenses.  When I looked at the TripMate policy which was sent before the trip, sure enough - it states that they do not cover medical expenses at home.  I remember in an older TripMate policy, it did state coverage for 60 days after arriving at home.

Countries Visited:

October 05, 2012

But only if you had used it while on the trip to treat an illness or accident that had occured on that trip!  It was a continuation of coverage that had gone into effect while you were traveling.

October 06, 2012

Perhaps it is best if you all phone TripMate with your question.  I have no complaint with the coverage - I just shared the fact that I had been told that once you return home, your own coverage picks up.  I made a decision not to seek treatment in China because I was able to move my hand, wrist and walk - had I had a problem with movement, I'd have sought medical treatment.  I am perfectly content with the way things went - I have deep bruising which will heal (and which I thought at the time - used ice, compression stocking to apply support) and I had no expectation one way or the other for payment by insurance once home.  I just needed to ask how to handle the insurance info at check-in in ER.  I was very lucky not to have been injured in a very hard fall - but did not see the need to interrupt the trip since we were headed to another flight within hours.  I have no complaints whatsoever.

Author: lbalsanek

October 08, 2012

As I understand travel insurance, if you come down with an illness or injury duing the time of your covered trip which continues up to 60 days after you arrive home, you should be covered by this insurance.

I do not purchase travel insurance from GCT - since I am able to comparison shop on-line at insuremytrip.com and can pick and choose my options, and in the long run, the cost is usually cheaper with higher coverages.

I don't think GCT is the one you need to contact - you need to contact Tripmate for yourself

and have them handle the matter.

Hope this helps.

Author: luisa

GCT Trips Taken: 6
OAT Trips Taken: 2
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji. Ireland

Traveler Since: 2006

October 09, 2012

"As I understand travel insurance, if you come down with an illness or injury duing the time of your covered trip which continues up to 60 days after you arrive home, you should be covered by this insurance."

The above is not true of all policies. GCT/Trip Mate "used to" cover up to 60 days but no longer does. This is the issue with the original poster. He/she believed they had 60 days after the illness contracted on a trip but have been told they have not. They have contacted both GCT and Trip Mate but have not posted again so we don't know if the problem has been resolved.

What we do know is: Trip Mate used to cover an illness/injury for up to 60 days after a trip but the policy was changed some time in the past couple of years. The insurance now covers the time on the trip only.

The lesson is to read the Information Booklet carefully and read the insurance policy when it arrives before the trip.

Author: singsling

Traveler Since: 1995

October 16, 2012

My comments do not have anything to do with medical coverage issues discussed above, but they are concerning the comments on this post and another post about cost of GCT insurance and cost of same/similar travel protection policies found on Insuremytrip.com.

We booked a Princess cruise for the South Pacific recently and were billed for travel protection.  I looked at Princess's policy and $$ amounts.  No way do they compare with GCT's.---$10,000 Medical $10,000 Accident and $25,000 for evacuation/repatriation....  I thought those limits were unreasonable, so I asked for their Platinum plan.  That plan's medical was $20,000 accident and sickness each,and evacuation $50,000--this Platinum would have cost us $734 each for our trip; the baggage loss/lateness, trip interruption protection were not very good either.

.  Having read articles about cost of evacuation/repatriation costs being upwards of $100,000 to $500,000, I decided to shop around.  I went to Insuremytrip.com and reviewed several companies plans, individial ala carte costs vs plans.  The individual medical costs coverage up to $25,000  plans were over $2500 for one person per trip--just for medical/sickness; The plan costs that included medical and trip cancellation, trip interruption, lost/delayed baggage, evacuation/repatriation were also well over $2500 per person, but considering what they covered were better prices than individual coverages (medical).   I reviewed several companies' plans, some had lower prices for individual, but were not from well known companies.   I concluded that buying ala carte for just what I needed was much more expensive. 
My travel agent offered a policy from Travel Guard, which is highly rated and I read the reviews on Insuremytrip about Travel Guard's policies, and found the company was well liked.  So, for under $2000, I got travel protection for the entire trip, with cancel for any reason for two persons from my travel agent.  The dollar coverage amounts are not near as good as GCT's and cost a lot more; my policy does cover $500,000 for emerg. evacuation.  An example my agent disclosed was a patient having a heart attack  and had to be evacuatied back to  the US on a private charter plane, with physician, nurse, technicians to operate equipment; she said the cost was $50,000.  From articles I read, this is a very reasonable cost for this type service.  But, it was just to the East Coast. 

So, for me, travel protection when I travel with GCT,  will be from GCT.  The coverage has never been more than $1700 for 2 for the trips that we take, with extension(s) with GCT and coverage amounts are much higher, and all prices are dependent on cost of trip per person.  I feel I get my money's worth from GCT, should I ever need to use the insurance.

Just another view on buying travel protection  from GCT or from another supplier.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.