Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: mttroj674

GCT Trips Taken: 3
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Traveler Since: 2006

May 11, 2010

I always wear a baseball cap with a large logo; gaudy Hawaiian shirt with shirttail out; white

tennis shoes.  i have never been robbed yet.  Also have never been mistaken for a local.

So nobody asks me questions that I can't answer.  Enjoy your travels.

Author: gobuckeyes

GCT Trips Taken: 4
OAT Trips Taken: 9
Traveler Since: 2005

September 21, 2010

I don't know if you are joking or not; however, my suggestion is to follow the US Department of State's recommendations that include;

Take precautions to avoid being a target of crime: To avoid being a target of crime, do not wear conspicuous clothing or jewelry and do not carry excessive amounts of money. Also, do not leave unattended luggage in public areas and do not accept packages from strangers.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/tips_1232.html

Author: cmbaker69

GCT Trips Taken: 9
OAT Trips Taken: 7
Countries Visited:

52 countries and 49 states and counting. Most recent international trips were Belize/Tikal for Mayan ruins and OAT's Safari Serengeti. The OAT trip remains the best trip I've ever taken as a tourist, and this was my 5th subsaharan trip/3rd safari type.

Traveler Since: 2000

September 27, 2010

Believe it or not, I've gone both ways. In Europe and perhaps major cities elsewhere, I suggest a black all weather coat with everything, including a purse if you carry one, secured UNDER the coat and black shoes (even walking shoes are OK). .Everywhere else I find casual clothes (long pants or skirt, long sleeve shirt) with comfortable walking shoes are great, but tshirts with your hometown/state/college logos can lead to great conversations. I suggest no one use the white running shoes so popular in the US - they get dirty and are a dead giveaway that you are a tourist, not a traveler.

Author: kaytravels

GCT Trips Taken: 8
Traveler Since: 2002

September 27, 2010

Some of us have walked so much and traveled along such paths that our feet need more help and white NB  type shoes with lots of inserts for heels, .etc.,make it nececessary to forgo some of the more fashionable footware.  Never in my 55 trips to Europe have I felt out of place  or uncomfortable because of white shoes, nor looked upon as a tourist.  Most of my trips were not tours just independant travel.  GCT is excellent for the tours they provide and I enjoy the ones to the places where language is a problem. Be comfortable and enjoy your travels.

Author: kaytravels

GCT Trips Taken: 8

September 27, 2010

Some of us have walked so much and traveled along such paths that our feet need more help and white NB  type shoes with lots of inserts for heels, .etc.,make it nececessary to forgo some of the more fashionable footware.  Never in my 55 trips to Europe have I felt out of place  or uncomfortable because of white shoes, nor looked upon as a tourist.  Most of my trips were not tours just independant travel.  GCT is excellent for the tours they provide and I enjoy the ones to the places where language is a problem. Be comfortable and enjoy your travels.

Author: luisa

GCT Trips Taken: 6
OAT Trips Taken: 2
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji. Ireland

September 29, 2010

"Some of us have walked so much and traveled along such paths that our feet need more help and white NB  type shoes with lots of inserts for heels, .etc.,make it nececessary to forgo some of the more fashionable footware.  ... Be comfortable and enjoy your travels."

I agree. Comfort trumps fashion. I wore expensive, taupe, so-called "walking shoes" on a trip to Spain and couldn't walk though the rocky paths in the gardens at the Alhambra because there was  not enough padding. Never again. If white shoes are the most comfortable then I'll wear white shoes.

I  don't like labels, but when I see  "traveler" versus "tourist"  I  think that   true "travelers"  do not worry about the color of their shoes or what other people think about what they wear. I think most of us are tourists and that's nothing to be ashamed of.

Europeans wear white shoes too. I saw shopkeepers in a hilltown in Italy wearing jeans and white sneakers.

Author: captainlarry

GCT Trips Taken: 10

September 29, 2010

Thanks, Luisa, for posting what I was just coming here to post. I will never be mistaken for anything but an American regardless of what I might be wearing. And that's just fine.

And to Kay, I agree that New Balance makes the most comfortable walking shoes I have ever worn. Recently they have started making them in various colors and I have brown ones and black ones. But I still wear predominantly white ones.

Author: porkchop55

OAT Trips Taken: 5
Countries Visited:

Vietnam, Cambodia, Great Britain, Israel, Italy, Spain, Turkey, France, Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland, Tunisia, China, Peru, Canada, Japan, Philippines, Thailand, Fiji, American Samoa, Australia, Taiwan, Singapore, South Korea

Traveler Since: 2004

March 05, 2011

I was in Rome this past November and it was cool and raining.  As I looked around the Metro during rush hour I noticed how much the Romans love colorful coats and jackets.  They had on every shade of black you can imagine.  So when in Europe in the winter ware jeans and a black jacket if you want to blind in, and pick up a scarf to match. 

Author: walshcs

OAT Trips Taken: 1
Countries Visited:

Costa Rica, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Guatemala, the Canadian Maritimes incl. Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and PEI, Montreal (Quebec), , and many USA cities incl. NYC, Chicago, New Orleans, Washington DC, Portland Oregon, the Oregon coast, Maine coast, parts of Florida. I took a 10 day tour to Costa Rica where I was especially thrilled to experience the tropical plants, birds, volcanos, and met the friendly Ticos. I did Ireland in Depth with GCT Oct. 2011 and it was an inspiring, beautiful, and meaningful experience to finally visit the land of my Irish ancestors. Completed the Tuscany & the Amalfi Coast with the pre-trip to Venice April 21, 2012 and it was a travel dream fulfilled. I booked Guatemala with Tikal, Antigua and Atitlan for January 2013 and had a wonderful adventure discovering modern day Maya culture and learning about ancient Maya city states with my visit to Tikal. It was very exciting that OAT brought back the trip to Japan. I had the trip of a lifetime including the pre-trip to Tokyo in Nov. 2013 and even did the Maiko make-over in Kyoto. My friends at home couldn't believe the "20 year old" in the photos of a Geisha were really me. Thank you professional photographer & photo shop! :) The next trip booked for Sept. 2014 is the Best of Eastern Europe (land trip version) and I'm looking forward to history & culture in that region. Now I finally have the resources to pursue my "bucket list" of foreign travel and the freedom to chart my own life's course. Ask questions that will satisfy your requirements/interests in a travel buddy. Looking forward to meeting you here and maybe in the world. Warm regards, Cate I'll post a photo when I remember to bring one from home. (Only have internet at work for now.)

Traveler Since: 2011

August 25, 2011

Sounds like there are two camps on the "blending in" topic. I've noticed that on the forums devoted to women travelers it is still recommended that we make an effort to dress in a more low-key, less obvious way. (Ditch the logo ware, white walkers, anything that says "American Tourist"). Personally, I'm looking to balance between comfort and having respect for the culture I'm in, so I dress in nice slacks or a skirt and sweaters or blouses in darker colors with comfortable walking shoes or ankle boots. For walking I add cushioned socks and gel inserts with footware that is 1/2 size larger than usual.

The moment we open our mouths to speak...the game's up. Happy trails everyone.

Author: uofmich77

GCT Trips Taken: 4
Traveler Since: 2005

August 25, 2011

I noticed the beginning of this thresd earlier and decided not to add anything but after seeing the delightfully lively debate I just have to get my te cents worth in. We've traveled in many parts of the world and I have my share of foot problems. That said I wouldn't be caught dead in white tennis shoes or a hometown logo. There are great shoes out there that will accomodate orthotics and padded socks that are brown or other very dull, muted colors and blend in much better with the places we visit. It is truly a personal choice but comfort need not be the determing factor. Merrill, Ecco, and many other brands are great. You just have the to find thee ones that fit you. I do have to admit that at home I only wear white tennis shoes at the gym so it is personal taste.

Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji. Ireland

August 27, 2011

I think the original post was a joke, but the different views have been interesting. First of all, no matter what you wear, if you're traveling with 32-38 other people you are not going to blend in. Secondly, I've traveled independently many times, wearing black, good leather shoes, coat, pants, etc. and have always been recognized as American even before I spoke. When I asked the clerk in the Bon Marche in Paris how she knew, she said I knew looking at you that you were either American or British. On another trip, I took the train from Rome to Chiusi sitting in the first class compartment with three Italian women wearing blue jeans and white shoes. I was in my usual travel black.

The suggestion for Merrill, Eccos, etc is good providing you wear a size under 11. I've developed tendonitis and need orthotics, which means size 11-1/2 or 12, which are virtually impossible to find other than in a sneaker type shoe. I wear size 11 Ecco sandals but cannot wear Ecco closed shoes because I'd need a half size larger and there aren't any!

So, it is not a matter of preference for me any longer. Cole Haan used to make 12s but stopped a couple of years ago. I was in a Merrill shoe store yesterday and there were no women's shoes over size 11. If I have to wear white shoes, then that's what I'll wear and I don't think I'll be the only tourist in Europe or anywhere else in white shoes.

Author: walshcs

OAT Trips Taken: 1
Countries Visited:

Costa Rica, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Guatemala, the Canadian Maritimes incl. Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and PEI, Montreal (Quebec), , and many USA cities incl. NYC, Chicago, New Orleans, Washington DC, Portland Oregon, the Oregon coast, Maine coast, parts of Florida. I took a 10 day tour to Costa Rica where I was especially thrilled to experience the tropical plants, birds, volcanos, and met the friendly Ticos. I did Ireland in Depth with GCT Oct. 2011 and it was an inspiring, beautiful, and meaningful experience to finally visit the land of my Irish ancestors. Completed the Tuscany & the Amalfi Coast with the pre-trip to Venice April 21, 2012 and it was a travel dream fulfilled. I booked Guatemala with Tikal, Antigua and Atitlan for January 2013 and had a wonderful adventure discovering modern day Maya culture and learning about ancient Maya city states with my visit to Tikal. It was very exciting that OAT brought back the trip to Japan. I had the trip of a lifetime including the pre-trip to Tokyo in Nov. 2013 and even did the Maiko make-over in Kyoto. My friends at home couldn't believe the "20 year old" in the photos of a Geisha were really me. Thank you professional photographer & photo shop! :) The next trip booked for Sept. 2014 is the Best of Eastern Europe (land trip version) and I'm looking forward to history & culture in that region. Now I finally have the resources to pursue my "bucket list" of foreign travel and the freedom to chart my own life's course. Ask questions that will satisfy your requirements/interests in a travel buddy. Looking forward to meeting you here and maybe in the world. Warm regards, Cate I'll post a photo when I remember to bring one from home. (Only have internet at work for now.)

August 29, 2011

Luisa...you make a good (and humorous) point that when we are traveling in a group...forget about blending in with the locals. I've had hopes that when I'm on solo time, I will attract less undesirable attention if I'm conservative and tasteful in my appearance. I'm an assistant  Innkeeper and have often noticed how our foreign guests usually dress with a more low key style than the average American guest staying at our Inn. Just sayin'...no judgement intended.

It also sounds like you have had a very frustrating and uncomfortable challenge finding footware to accomodate your anatomical needs. Painful feet can quickly take the pleasure out of a person's day. Wear those white trainers in good health and keep traveling!

Cate 

Countries Visited:

August 30, 2011

Thanks Cate.

I guess seeing a variety of tourists you're more aware of clothing choices. Because I'm not good at putting colors together, mine are pretty conservative, almost everything is black, white or gray with a few solid colored tops (pretty boring). Prints are scary but I admire them on other people. For my upcoming trip I'll be wearing gray sneaker type with the orthotics and think I can wear my leather ankle boots because they are supportive and one pair of black flats for dinners and for very short walks. 

I never realized how limiting having foot problems were. My mother had to wear oxford type shoes and growing up I thought they were hideous. I was a shoe freak and wore the pointed toe leather heels (maybe why I have problems now) and leather flats to work. My doctor told me years ago not to wear them but I didn't listen. I don't wear white shoes but have seen them in so many cities and on so many people who are walking comfortably that I think if that's all I could find for comfort that's what I'd wear.

I haven't had a problem with undesirable attention, but wear a money belt and have a couple of jackets with inside pockets where I keep my money for the day. so I don't worry much about pickpockets. If they should get into my purse, they wouldn't find anything of value.

Author: par5drl

GCT Trips Taken: 2

September 04, 2011

RE: Blending & Dress,

We just returned from The Great Rivers Of Europe Cruise (Amsterdam - Vienna).

Walking behind your PM with a flag: Name tag; receiver & ear peice; with 38 other people

Sorta gives you away as a tourist.....Also found that the Europeans dress in any and everthing,

including Jeans, athletic shoes and logo clothing....So relax & enjoy your trip...

By the way, the trip was great and the Crew outstanding.....

PAR5DRL

Author: captainlarry

GCT Trips Taken: 10

September 13, 2011

I saw a picture recently in the news of several people in a South American country kicking and stomping a policeman. Shockingly, the attackers were all tourists from the USA! I know that is true because they were all wearing white sneakers.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.