Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: wendyinfrance

Trips Taken: 1

September 16, 2012

I will be traveling to Croatia and will be attending a home-hosted dinner.  Could someone suggest a gift I could take to the family?  I live in the Boston area and I would like to give them something that relates to Boston or New England.

Author: pauline

Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

September 17, 2012

Depending on when you're going.  If the calendars for the following year are out, I have given ones with scenes of New England.  Or, when I went to Ireland in July of 2011, I found a fairly new publication of pictures of New England scenes.  It had the older traditional pictures  -  Faueil Hall, State House, Harvard Square.  But also the Zakim Bridge, both in daylight and at night with the blue lights.  Tea towels, with local scenes, are always useful and don't take up any room in the suitcase.

Author: shatzi

Trips Taken: 6
Traveler Since: 2009

September 17, 2012

I found  small two books about the local area.  One is a pictorial guide of Cape Cod and the other gives recipes from early Cape Cod settlers.  I will sign them with my email address and a thank you for their hospitality.  Hope this helps with some ideas.

Author: garyrr

Trips Taken: 16
Countries Visited:

Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe, S Africa, Guatemala, Honduras, Costa Rica, Belize, Panama, Peru, New Zealand, Greece, Turkey, Albania, Croatia, Montenegro, Czech, Slovakia, Hungary, Serbia, Romania, Bulgaria, India, China, Vietnam, Thailand, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Italy, Ireland, Great Britain, Netherlands, Belgium, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia

Traveler Since: 2000

September 17, 2012

Just remember, these families who sign up to do this - host OAT/GCT groups several times every month!  Some do it once a week!   Can you imagine all the "stuff" they get?   I know it's nice to be polite and bring something, but just remember that they are getting paid to do this - and they do it often! I'm not saying not to do it - it's just something to keep in mind when selecting what you are bringing.

Author: oldbog

September 17, 2012

Since they are hosting several times a month or so perhaps something edible would be a choice..maple sugar candy? cranberry jelly or pepper? acontainer of "jimmies!?

Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

September 17, 2012

I've thought of that, but you'd have to make sure what you're allowed to bring in.  A friend I used to travel with used to bring maple syrup from New York State which she insisted had a much larger maple syrup industry than Vermont.  I wouldn't bring that in case the bottle leaked, but maple sugar candy, if allowed, would be good.  Or people from New Jersey could bring salt water taffy.

Author: elna

Countries Visited:

France, Germany, Italy, Switzerland, Russia, Austalia, Finland, Estonia, England, Scotland, Wales, Pakistan, Singapore,

Traveler Since: 2009

September 18, 2012

After taking postal cards and local info on VA and DC, and then a magnet, I've been taking a small can or bag of Virginia roasted peanuts. I think the food item is more welcomed. Just my opinion.

Author: nanaandpapa

Trips Taken: 15
Countries Visited:

Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

Traveler Since: 2002

September 18, 2012

Candy or other sweets are not generally recommended as most countries do not have the level of dental care that we do. Even if they do, you would also be contributing to the spread of our obesity epidemic.

Author: luisa

Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji

Traveler Since: 2006

September 18, 2012

nanaandpapa have a point but I think it depends on the location. I had to laugh though about "our obesity problem." I don't recall any obese hosts or hostesses, I think that's more of a U.S. problem.

I brought fresh figs to the lunch in Turkey. Both women hosting were thin but served us Turkish baklava drenched in sugar syrup.

Postcards or small books about your home area are usually appreciated. Most hosts are curious about where we come from. One had a map on the wall with dots representing their guests.

Countries Visited:

September 18, 2012

Maybe we're overthinking this.  It's customary in most places to bring a hostess gift.  And it should be something that we have devoted some thought to in choosing.  We don't know how many visitors they may get from any particular place in the US.  The OP is from the Boston area and wants to bring something that is from here.  It could be that they have never hosted someone from the Boston area and it would be new to them.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.