Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: pauline

Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

September 15, 2012

Watch out, everyone!  I just got another one of those messages, this time from Sandy1 at GCT.  I've left a message on Michelle's voicemail.

Pauline

Author: shatzi

Trips Taken: 6
Traveler Since: 2009

September 15, 2012

I guess I missed something?  Could you explain more, please.  Thank you so much!

Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

September 16, 2012

Ok.  This started last week.  I got an e-mail purporting to come from the OAT website asking if I would accept an e-mail from someone interested in accompanying me on a trip.  This happened a couple of times before, and they were legit.  Actually, one was about that, and the other was a question about luggage.  So I accepted the mail, and it turned out to be something like those Nigerian bank things wanting money.  A few other people got them, and Michelle is on top of it. 

Yesterday, I got another one, this time supposedly coming from the GCT website.  I didn't click on the link.  I did post a warning, and I left a message on Michelle's voice mail.  They somehow have the correct printing at the top and the pictures.  And where they got my e-mail from, I don't know.  I never give it out online, and it's not on my profile.

Pauline

Author: janice!

Trips Taken: 7
Countries Visited:

many

September 16, 2012

Pauline, don't you think the messages did come from OAT and GCT by someone using the Travel Companions send message option?  A person doesn't need your email address to send you a message.

Countries Visited:

September 16, 2012

No.  In each case, the original message came into my own personal e-mail account.  I had to click on a link to read the message, which I did the first time in all innocence.  The second time, reacting to the timing (just a few days later), I didn't click. 

GCT/OAT does have my e-mail address.  But I never give it on the forum when talking about travel plans.  And I do warn people who seem to be too forthcoming about private information.  In any case, this e-mail is not the one I had before.

So either the message is legit, and I'm becoming paranoid.  Or someone has been able to get into the GCT/OAT database.  BTW, I was not the only one to get the first message.  Someone (name escapes me) put a warning on Facebook.

Countries Visited:

many

September 16, 2012

Pauline wrote: "No.  In each case, the original message came into my own personal e-mail account.  I had to click on a link to read the message, which I did the first time in all innocence."   Unless your personal email address is not the same as the one stored in your GCT/OAT account, then that is where you will receive an email message from the GCT or OAT website when someone uses the Send a Message feature associated with your Travel Companion profile.  The email message will contain a link to the actual message written by the person who used the Send a Message feature. As long as your profile exists, you may continue to receive these messages.  I would send you a message to show you what I am describing but it requires that I create a profile which I do not want to do. One of them did post a message on OAT's Facebook page with the contents of the message she received.

When you reported this on the OAT discussion forum, two other women reported that they also received the same message.  Both of them have created Travel Companion profiles.

Countries Visited:

September 16, 2012

Janice, if that's the case do you know how I can delete that profile?  My original idea of being receptive to a traveling companion was not to share a room.  Just to take a trip that would interest us both, eating together if we wanted which would be nice for independent meals. 

But now, I have one trip reserved for this coming summer, and two more in my Travel Planner which I hope I'll be able to manage.  Then we'll see.

Countries Visited:

many

September 16, 2012

The only way to answer your question was to create a profile. So I now have one with no personal information in it unless anyone believes I really am 100 years old. :-)  As I suspected, there is no option to delete a profile but you can edit it and remove any of the personal information you don't want to be viewed by others. You can also de-select options to receive email and be included in Travel Companions. Just go to your account page and select your profile on the left side of the page. If you contact GCT, they should be able to remove the profile.

Now that I have a profile, I will send you a message.  The nickname I used is testing so I expect that is what you will see in the email message you get from GCT. Please let me know if you receive it.

I sympathize with your concerns about your future travel plans.  Personally, it's very likely that I won't be able to do any more international travel and I am not happy about it.

Countries Visited:

September 16, 2012

Yes, it's there.  Now, I can reply to that in the profile page or I can delete it.  I'll take your advice about editing my entire profile.  And maybe sometime find out how to delete it.

At my age, I can't plan too far ahead.  The rest of 2012, what there is of it, has a short visit to my college roommate to celebrate her 80th birthday and a trip to Israel with my son to celebrate mine.  Then the Paris to Normany river trip next summer.  Any travel after that will probably be taking advantage of last minute deals when I can.

Pauline

Countries Visited:

many

September 16, 2012

Pauline, thanks for replying to my Travel Companions message. It gave me the opportunity to see the email message that is sent by GCT. I can no longer find your profile so I believe you have successfully made yourself invisible on Travel Companions; there is probably no need to actually delete the profile.

Did you ever look at the message which was sent to you by Sandy1? I found her profile and she appears to be actual GCT traveler and even has a photo in her profile. If you haven't seen the message, it could actually be legitimate and not a scam like the one you got before.

Countries Visited:

September 17, 2012

I was afraid to click on the link, and I think I may have deleted the e-mail.  I was doing a lot of cleaning up yesterday.  But if someone got into my profile to send me that message supposedly from OAT, they could have got into hers to send a message pretending to be her.  I always thought that the system was as secure as such systems can be.  But maybe not.

Countries Visited:

many

September 17, 2012

You don't need the link from the email message. Just click on Messages at the top of any GCT web page to get to your inbox.

Countries Visited:

September 17, 2012

So I guess that one was legit.  But the other one that supposedly came through OAT wasn't.  The message I got when I was foolish enough to click on the link was definitely one of those Nigerian bank scams things.  The sender addressed me as "dearest" and spoke how she and her son managed to escape but needed financial help to access the money she was forced to leave behind in her bank account.  If that isn't a scam, then I don't know what it is.

Author: doe409

Trips Taken: 2
Countries Visited:

Along with Carribean cruises I have travelled to Ireland, Costa Rica and in 2014 will go to Italy. I love national parks so I have been to many of them. Maine, Vermont, DC, Mt Rushmore area, parks of the Southwest, Oregon Coast, Hawaii, Colorado, Alaska, Canadian Rockies, San Fransico area.

Traveler Since: 2012

October 27, 2012

WOW maybe I am just too trusting. I do e-mail others that come up as a match to see if they may be interested on travel somewhere, not neccessarily as a roommate but a companion in free time. I agree that if you get an e-mail in your personal one you can just go to GCT website and check your messages there. I have just started travelling international and most will be solo so I hope it dosen't scare off other possible solo companions for me.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.