Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: amcculloch2001

Traveler Since: 2012

September 02, 2012

It's time to start looking around for a jacket for the Great Rivers cruise in mid-October.  I would like to hear some of your suggestions.  I'll be looking for something water-resistant with a hood, maybe a zip-out fleece liner, lightweight/packable for travel, yet warm enough for windy deck-sitting and long enough to cover the rear.  Not to ignore the adage "you get what you pay for", but somewhere around the $100 - $120 range or less and made in the USA would be great.

Let me hear what brands you like!  Thanks.   -Geli

Author: shatzi

Traveler Since: 2009

September 02, 2012

As a New Englander, I tend to turn to LL Bean.  Both my husband I have a Storm Chaser 3-in-1 jacket with a zip out lining.  It comes in very handy.  You can check it out at the Bean site.  I believe it runs about $120. 

Author: luisa

Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji

Traveler Since: 2006

September 03, 2012

I'm very happy with an LL Bean jacket I bought a few years ago. I don't think it's the storm chaser, but has a warm fleece button-in jacket with a waterproof shell with deep pockets and a detachable hood. It's worked very well for me.

September 08, 2012

Thanks so much to Luisa, Worldtrekker and Shatzi for the suggestions.  Shatzi, I did like the LL Bean Stormchaser and it seems to check all of the boxes except for length.  Luisa, I didn't see a jacket with a button in-liner on the website.

Worldtrekker, the Land's End Rainstop looked to be the right length but did not have a lining.  Sigh.  

Just FYI, I am also watching Columbia and North Face but they tend to be pricier. 

I appreciate all of your replies.  -Geli

Author: janice!

Countries Visited:

many

Traveler Since: 1999

September 08, 2012

L.L.Bean has a knee-length Gore-Tex coat on sale. It doesn't have the removable liner you want but perhaps you could find a fleece vest or jacket to wear under the coat when you need the extra warmth.  

Author: luisa

Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji

Traveler Since: 2006

September 09, 2012

The LL Bean jacket that I bought has a button-in fleece jacket that can be worn separately. It isn't a liner. There are loops on the cuffs of the sleeves and I think at the back of the collar. I wore it both ways on my trips. It was called a 3-in-1, but it was a bit longer than the storm chaser. I looked on line and don't see it now, maybe it was discontinued.

I hope you find something suitable.

September 11, 2012

Thanks Janice and Luisa.

I can finally offer a tip today instead of always begging for one:  Sears has a couple of very nice Fleet Street jackets with hoods and button-in liners for about $95.  One is regular raincoat type fabric and the other is suedy looking microfiber...both are water repellent.  They fall to mid-thigh and I liked them, but they are Misses sizes only  They are imported from Viet Nam, but I have not yet found any made here.

I thought about buying a man's jacket or just wearing a fleece jacket under a windbreaker (stuff I already have), but I was really hoping for a tidier look.  Plus it's just nice to get new stuff  :-) 

-Geli

Author: pauline

Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

September 11, 2012

Do you think he meant "plough through" when he typed "ply through?"

Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

September 11, 2012

According to the dictionary, the word "ply" is usually followed by the word "with." The word "plough" is usually followed by the word "through."  Used in the context above.

None of which has anything to do with the choice of jackets.

Author: grandcircle

Trips Taken: 0

September 11, 2012

Hello Everybody -

A friendly reminder to stay on topic; keep the conversation light; & be respectful of other posters.

Kind Regards,

Michelle

GCT Forum Moderator

Author: singsling

Traveler Since: 1995

September 11, 2012

Nice, GCT.

I'm still trying to figure out what ticked Worldtrekker (formerly known as Centaur) off to give more than 4 paragraphs (oops, should I have written four), to cut people down on language, which is not even their primary language, and including comments that people should stick to the subject.  Well, look who did not stick to the subject. on this thread, which is jacket..  How did we go from looking for a great jacket to learning or using a foreign language if we have traveled or been a Captain in the military.  I hope   this person does not join me at a dinner table on a cruise or across from me at a banquet table.  If that person does, believe me, I will use  "ain't" as many times as I can, as well as "that's stupid, " shut up (in today's words meaning "that's great" or bitte shane!  What side of the bed does this person get off on  anyway?  This is the second thread I've seen with his name and former name, I had seen his response on another thread before he/she changed the profile name, but he/she left the comments as they were.  Unfriendly.

Countries Visited:

September 11, 2012

Thanks, Singsling. 

You said it better than I would have.  I sometimes get annoyed with svncontinens for starting their sentences in the subjunctive, but at least they offer interesting and important comments and advice.  These are just picking fights.

Pauline

Author: hootie

Countries Visited:

China, Austria, Germany, Hungary, Slovakia, Poland, Serbia, Croatia, Romania, Transylvania, Bulgaria, Chech Republic, Slavakia, Bratislava, Egypt, Israel, Cyprus, Crete, Greece, Turkey, Istanbul, Italy, England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Estonia, Russia, Tahiti & French Polynesia/Society Islands, Hawaiian Islands, Bermuda, Alaska, Costa Rica, Mexico, United States, Panama Canal, Caribbean (extensively), Canada/Nova Scotia, Canary Islands, Gibralter, Spain, Portugal, Morocco, Vatican City, France, Holland, Belgium, Tasmania, Australia, New Zealand, Ukraine, Russia.

Traveler Since: 2001

September 12, 2012

I think it would be very interesting to be on a trip where worldtrekkr/centaur & svncontints were in the same group.  However, there is NO WAY that I would want to be in THEIR group.  Neither do I think they would want to be in mine.  I was raised to be nice by my granny, but since I only have a high school diploma & thus a trailor park mentality, I don't think we'd be "buds".  But, it sure would be amusing to watch the interactions.

Author: wattsed

Countries Visited:

All seven continents, 113 countries and all states except Hawaii and Idaho.Plus some interesting places that are not countries such as The zores, Falkland Islands, South Georgia, etc.

Traveler Since: 2010

September 12, 2012

Ain't that   just grate!  I can't hardly wait to be at that table with all the "buds"! (for all non-linguist majors hardly always comes after can't)  We shud have a lot in common especilly those of us from the treller park---we can dis-cus pink flamingos, white warshed trees, chew bakker and just have sum good ol fun together....PBR's wud be the perfect pre and after supper drink ( dinner is is always around noon time and supper is the evening meal but a lot of folks seem to get these con-fused) ..Jist how many coons has you fav-o-rite blu tick hound treed lately and what is the best v-hicle to use in the nex mud dune buggy trials...wow, endless things to totally start educated converastions!  Just now, I am so happy that colege major was english---The military re-consized my languge skills so much that they sent me to studdy russian and made me a part of the U-2 overflight program---Oh, by the way---when I was in basic training they gav me too pairs of shues and when   I wrot my mom about my gud luck about the shues and other cloes we got, she signed up the nex day!!

Author: lennie_

September 13, 2012

Stercus accidit !!

Countries Visited:

September 13, 2012

Quite true, but it works both ways!

Author: janice!

Countries Visited:

many

September 13, 2012

Several of the previous posts have taken over this thread and discouraged any further discussion of jackets for travel. If your post has nothing to do with the discussion header, please delete it. Thank you.

Author: captainlarry

Traveler Since: 2002

September 13, 2012

Janice, you are correct and I complied with your request. Thank you.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.