Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: garyrr

Trips Taken: 17
Countries Visited:

Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe, S Africa, Guatemala, Honduras, Costa Rica, Belize, Panama, Peru, New Zealand, Greece, Turkey, Albania, Croatia, Montenegro, Czech, Slovakia, Hungary, Serbia, Romania, Bulgaria, India, China, Vietnam, Thailand, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Italy, Ireland, Great Britain, Netherlands, Belgium, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia

Traveler Since: 2000

March 01, 2014

The ONLY time it makes sense to get TSA PreCheck and NOT Global Entry is if you're not an international traveler and don't have a passport.  That would require the additional fees and paperwork to get the passport first, then Global Entry.  In that case, TSA PreCheck alone does make more sense.

BUT, by definition, most people on GCT/OAT websites are international travelers!

Author: pauline

Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

April 25, 2014

Now I need some clarification again.  I recently flew round trip Boston/San Antonio.  I flew First Class and I have Global Entry.  And in both cases, I was patted down.  They did ask if I could stand without support, because I use a cane and arrived at the checkpoint in a wheelchair.  It didn't seem to be any different from any flight I checked in before I had Global Entry.  I'd appreciate comments, since I'll be taking this trip again in a few months.

Author: calsandy

Trips Taken: 15
Traveler Since: 2007

April 25, 2014

Global Entry (GE) applies to immigration and customs, not the TSA screening, which is TSA Precheck, meaning that you don’t remove your shoes, belt, light jacket, laptop or your 3-1-1 bag but you still have to go through the screening and may be subject to a pat down. Further, TSA may screen you randomly.You can apply for TSA PreCheck or if you already have GE, enter your id# (trusted traveler) into your airline frequent flyer profile. In the latter case, the airlines issues your boarding pass designating it as TSA PreÖ. I hope this helps.

Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

April 25, 2014

I thought I had, but it didn't show up on my boarding pass.  The woman I talked with when I made my reservation also screwed up my wheelchair reservations.  Oh well, I'll be more careful next time.

Thanks.

April 25, 2014

That IS frustrating. Hope it works better next time.

Author: singsling

Traveler Since: 1995

April 25, 2014

Pauline,

We also have GE.  I inserted our Trusted Traveler number on line on our reservation page.  We flew business class to Houston on way to Panama City Panama; at Phoenix we had pre-check marked on our boarding passes.  Going through the Security, one person was grabbing people from the First Class/ TSA Pre-Check line, yelling them not to remove their shoes, belts, or laptops.  I had already done all that, ho hum.  I got to the screening point, went through the x-ray, was asked if I had metal in my leg; I answered yes, she wanded me on my knee and told me to go, actually pushed me through.  My husband went through just after me; he kept his belt on as the guard at the line told everyone to do.  After my husband came out of the xray machine, he was told to remove shoes, belt, coins, etc.  He was patted down and had to wait for his belt to come through the screener.  Before the pat down he was asked if he had any metal; he said both knees were replaced.  So, he got the pat down, I did not, I just got wanded.  

In Houston, going into the International terminal, we had to go through security both going to Panama and coming back through.  We had GE and TSA pre-check but it didn't matter, since all security is done on the kiosks by questions and answers, then with that paper you go through security. This procedures was for everyone not just Trusted Traveler people.  Here, we had to take almost everything off (what I mean, except our clothes).  All shoes, belts, jackets, heavy watches, etc. off, and open bags with e-readers, laptops, etc.  Even going through the lane for pre-check in Houston, we had to do all this.  Every TSA security point is different in different airports.  Wonder why they tout the "you won't have to...." and then keep doing what they have been doing the long way, not shorter.  

So don't feel bad.  They randomly select people based on the spot they see on an x-ray or the ping with the wand.  

Countries Visited:

April 26, 2014

This weekend's New York Times Travel Section has an article by someone about "is Global Entry Worth the $100?"  Seems this person's membership has been revoked with no explanation.  And calls to ombudspeople have not resulted in any help.  The letters of comment include a number of people who've had very good luck with their memberships and other people who haven't.  One woman has the same problem I have with age affecting fingerprints, so she has to find a security person to pass her through.  As I have had to do.  It seem to be a mixed bag.  If it works, it's great.  If it doesn't, you're no worse off than you were before except for being out the $100.

Author: travelann

Trips Taken: 7
Traveler Since: 2010

April 26, 2014

Last Fall I traveled Business class UA. I have neither Global Entry or TSA precheck. However, my boarding pass was stamped prcheck; I passed through the precheck line...no body scan,no pat down, shoes and coat on. My friends have had the same experience,and I have read where this happens much of the time to many,many people. So, I will save my $100.00 and maybe my luck will continue...or not. Isn't traveling fun ??

April 26, 2014

Eligibility requirements for TSA precheck include members of the military and the following from the TSA Website:

You may still be able to experience TSA Pre✓™ screening on a flight by flight basis*

1. TSA Risk Assessments uses Secure Flight Data already supplied to TSA, which allows passengers to access the TSA Pre✓™ screening lane on a random basis. Check your boarding pass each time you fly for an indication of TSA Pre✓™ eligibility.
  2. The TSA Managed Inclusion program uses real-time threat assessments of passengers at select airports.

*Note: Participation in TSA Pre✓™ via these methods will not be as frequent or consistent as it is for those travelers who have joined a DHS Trusted Traveler Program.

Perhaps you fell into that category. Global Entry, as noted in a previous post, allows you to skip the sometimes long line at immigration/customs. & swipe your passport at a GE kiosk. That to me is why it’s worth $100 for 5 years. I enrolled in GE after I missed my connection due to long lines. The eligibility for precheck is an added benefit.  Of course, you still have to wait for your luggage.

In addition, those who are age 75 + or 12 & under also do not have to remove shoes, belts, etc. at the TSA screening.

BTW, Pauline, I also have unreadable fingerprints. An immigration officer suggested I rub hand cream on my fingers; someone else on another thread addressing this issue suggested rubbing your fingers across your forehead. I’ve tried this and sometimes it works, or maybe the scanners have different sensitivities. It is a nuisance but I still prefer GE, unless the immigration line is short.

Countries Visited:

April 26, 2014

Calsandy, maybe rubbing your fingers on your forehead works if your skin is a little oily.  But my skin is extremely dry.  Anyway, when I got my GE, they couldn't take the fingerprints then either.  I told them that my prints are on file somewhere, because years ago I had security clearance.  In those days, you rolled your finger tips against an inkpad.  But they said that was a different department.

Author: captainlarry

Trips Taken: 10
Traveler Since: 2002

April 26, 2014

On our recent trip to Malta my friend, who celebrated his 76th birthday while we were there, found that the 75+ exemption did not apply in either Malta or England. It worked for him in Philadelphia. And his wife's hip replacement caused some delays as well, even though she carries the appropriate documentation.

Author: tedlieber

Trips Taken: 7
Countries Visited:

50 U.S. states, 98 countries, and still counting

Traveler Since: 2010

April 26, 2014

This thread seems to contain a cross-over of information about two separate DHS programs. Global Entry is a program that facilitates re-entry into the USA from an international destination. The Global Entry member has the privilege of using a special computer at participating international airports in the USA to bypass the passport control line and booth interview. Almost invariably in my many experiences using my Global Entry membership there has been no wait to use this special computer. So, upon arrival of my flight, I move almost immediately into the baggage claim area. Unfortunately there is no improvement in the waiting time for my luggage, but my Global Entry Customs Receipt usually speeds my way through the customs area exit because I am able to use a dedicated lane. If you have waited on the interminable passport control lines at busy airports like JFK, LAX, and MIA during peak periods, you will probably think, as I do, that the $100 fee (for a five year membership period) for Global Entry membership is well worth paying. The PSA Pre-Check is a separate program. Global Entry members (as Trusted Travelers) are eligible for TSA Pre-Check. They do not need to apply and pay the $85 application fee for a Trusted Traveler Number because their Global Entry membership includes the assignment of a Trusted Traveler Number. But PSA Pre-Check  is not an automatic thing, and you are required to provide your Trusted Traveler Number to request PSA Pre-Check on each airline reservation that you book. Use the following link to see a comparison chart of DHS Trusted Traveler Programs:

http://www.dhs.gov/comparison-chart

Countries Visited:

April 26, 2014

As I posted above, Ted, I had given my GOES number at the time I made the reservation.  I had also requested wheelchairs at every stop.  I'll know in the future to verify all that before I get to the airport.  People do make mistakes, and it's wise not to take efficiency for granted.

April 26, 2014

Pauline--when I had my GE interview, they took my fingerprints with no problem; however, a year or so later, I had to have my fingerprints taken for a federally-funded project I was involved in. I had to do this 3 separate time to get an acceptable set of prints!!! What a pain! Apparently, a lot of people have this problem.

Countries Visited:

April 26, 2014

Sometimes, the old ways are best.  New technology doesn't always work better.  Of course, I'm a lot older than when they took my prints on ink pads.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.