Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: svncontinents

Trips Taken: 13
Traveler Since: 2007

November 24, 2012

Update on GOES.  Australia is now offering what appears to be full reciprocity for Global Entry.  What that means is if you have Global Entry, you also won't have to stand in line at Australian immigration.

Author: garyrr

Trips Taken: 17
Countries Visited:

Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe, S Africa, Guatemala, Honduras, Costa Rica, Belize, Panama, Peru, New Zealand, Greece, Turkey, Albania, Croatia, Montenegro, Czech, Slovakia, Hungary, Serbia, Romania, Bulgaria, India, China, Vietnam, Thailand, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Italy, Ireland, Great Britain, Netherlands, Belgium, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia

Traveler Since: 2000

November 24, 2012

AUSTRALIA?  - only if you have one of the new US passports with the imbedded RFID chip.  I believe they started them in about 2007.  Older, still valid passports generally don't have the chip - and would not work with the GOES reciprocity

November 25, 2012

We didn't see any qualification in the notice we got from GOES indicating reciprocity.  As far as we can tell, if you have GOES, you have reciprocity, no matter when your passport was issued.

November 25, 2012

garyrr-The GOES system doesn't work on an imbedded chip; it works by authentification of a photo as well as fingerprint.  When placing the passport in the kiosk, the kiosk reads the information on the bar boded botrtom and matches your picture and fingerprints, which the kisok takes on the spot, to its stored data.  No chip is required.  Very similar to the identification immigration officers use when they manually scan your passport through their machines.

Apparently US immigration and Australia have found a way to share this information so as to give reciprocity.  We had suspected that this would be a long time in coming, if ever, but we're glad to see that it arrived sooner rather than later.  

Countries Visited:

Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe, S Africa, Guatemala, Honduras, Costa Rica, Belize, Panama, Peru, New Zealand, Greece, Turkey, Albania, Croatia, Montenegro, Czech, Slovakia, Hungary, Serbia, Romania, Bulgaria, India, China, Vietnam, Thailand, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Italy, Ireland, Great Britain, Netherlands, Belgium, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia

November 25, 2012

I realize it doesn't need the chip in the US. But the article I read specifically stated that only the NEW passports with chips would be accepted by Australia for the reciprocity.  

Here's a link to the GOES site with the notice about Australia - specifically stating that only EPassports (ie those with chips) - would be accepted:

http://www.globalentry.gov/index.html

Author: singsling

Trips Taken: 11
Traveler Since: 1995

November 25, 2012

Reference the requirement for immigration using GOES in Ausralia.

We are approved for Nexus and Goes; we got an email the other day that said we can use the special immigration lanes in Australia if we  have Goes/Nexus approvals, AND the ePassports.  So, the announcement did have the requisites for the special kind of passport.  I did not look into this because we have over a year before we get there, and we will be on Princess ship; so we probably will go through immigration when checking in, like we did in Amsterdam a few your Goes/Nexus card. 

December 05, 2012

We must apologize for our oversight.  We again checked the e-mail we received from GOES and it does indeed say that one needs both Trusted Traveler Status( admission to one of the various programs ), as well as the e-chip passport.  Our bad.  But at any rate, having used the system, we can only say that it's well worth the money, especially when you bypass all the masses standing on the regular TSA lines, and you breeze right through.  That, is worth the entire $100, right there.

December 06, 2012

Back on this ePassport.  I previously had not  had a chance to check out the TSA website references in the email I got from Dept of Homeland Security reference my NEXUS/GOES usage; this specific email alerted me to the Smart Gate in Australia (where we will go in 2014).  Australia Customs and Border Protection will allow eligible US trusted travelers to use their automated border processing system, Smart Gate, beginning Nov 01, 2012.  This is in the email DHS sent me.  The US and Australia govts are partnered to facilitate US citizens' entry into Australia by using Smart Gate if they  have all 3 entry requirements, bypassing queues and manual Australia passporst control.  The 3 requirements are:

1. member of Custom and Border Protection's CBP Global Entry, NEXUS, or SENTRI program;
  2. travel on a valid US ePassport;
  3. and are 16 years of age or older.

The webiste: http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport  2498.htmlis the site in the email I got that directs one to the ePassport page on TSA's website.

The US has been using the ePassport chip in the back cover of US passports issued from August 2007.  Since that's when I got my passport renewed, it shows a very small gold  emblem on the front of my passport that is identified in the website above.  If your passport has this tiny gold emblem on the front of your passport, then you have an ePassport and with your NEXUS/GOES authority, you can use the specific immigration lanes in reciprocating countries.  The chip is in the back cover along with a lot of other info and your picture embedded there as well. One cannot see the info in the back cover, but they say info is the same as in the front of the passport is embedded in the back cover  The website explains all this in the FAQs on ePassports.

The Australia Smart Gate is available in airports in Australia: Adelaide, Brisbane, Cairns, Darwin, Gold Coast, Melbourne, Perth, Sydney

We sites: www.customs.gov.au/smartgate  or www.globalentry.gov 

Since I haven't traveled out of or back into the US, I haven't used my NEXUS card, so I can't answer specific questions. Best to visit websites at TSA.gov.  I think it may be worth the $100 if we don't have to stand in long lines in foreign countries' passport control.  The GOES and NEXUS programs are only for immigration into other countries if they are participating in the programs, and back into the US immigration patrol.  From information I've read on some travel websites, the NEXUS and GOES cards can be used to exit Security when going to your boarding gate,  if you are a member of a frequent flyer program of specific airlines, if the airport has such a lane for  such frequent flyers, and the person has the trusted traveler card.  We haven't had a chance to check this out yet, but will next year.

Another contributer to this thread, svcontinents, seems to have experience on this. 

December 07, 2012

Regarding singsling's post-If you have GOES, you are also approved for one of the Trusted Traveler programs.  The one you are approved for depends on your home address, because that may determine how and where you enter the country more frequently.  Regardless, all Trusted Traveler programs entitle you to use the special TSA Pre-Check security lines for DOMESTIC( not international flights ) at PARTICIPATING airports.  At the present time, not every airport participates, although most of the major gateway airports do( you can get a complete list on the GOES web site ).  So, if you're flying to a gateway city from a regional airport to catch a connecting flight, you may or may not have a TSA Pre-Check line there.  But regardless, you won't get the pass when you have to go through security at your gateway city for your international flight( although we've been able to shortcut our wait by getting on the airlines line for first-class and business class screening by simply showing our trusted traveler cards( the airline personnel who man those lines and are NOT TSA personnel don't really understand this, and are afraid of denying something when one shows an official government Trusted Traveler ID ).  At any rate, the screening process on those lines is uniform for all; you don't get the trusted traveler security expenptions; all you get is going though a bit faster by not having to stand on line.

We've used the Trusted Traveler and GOES a few times, and all we can say is that we definately feel that it's worth the $100.  And we generally go and come through JFK, where the lines aren't too bad.  But if you're going through LAX or Atlanta, where the lines can and are rather lengthy, you'll certainly feel that it may be worth the $100 just for that one experience.

Author: firstchoice

Trips Taken: 24
Traveler Since: 1998

January 13, 2013

My wife and I have been granted the "Quick entry" status, but unfortunately you only gain time if you're not checking luggage and if you're traveling with all parties a member of GOES.   You get through immigration, but you must gather and recheck your luggage, there is no time savings we see.   Most of our travel is internationally, so we also don't save any time checking in for flights, as that only works domestically.   United Airlines paid our $100 fee, we thank them, but it really saves us no time, a little effort, but no time.   Going through the process was very easy, we simply scheduled the interviews for an airport we were using.  Houston was our choice, the officers were very nice, process took 20 minutes.   I am presently scheduled to go to BKK for 3 days, I'll only take carryon, we'll see how that goes.

January 27, 2013

Firstchoice makes a distinction about clearing immigration and retrieving one's checked luggage.  How fast you exit the airport depends on both, and one is not dependent on the other. In fact, we posted that problem in a somewhat mildly sarcastic comment elsewhere.  And some airports are more efficient at having your checked baggage than others.  However, when the airline luckily has your bags available, you will indeed be on your way fast.  That happened to us a couple of times, and we were long gone before many of the immigration officers arrived at their little cubicles to begin the processing of those waiting on line.  and even if our bags weren't among the first off the plane, Global Entry STILL took us to the head of the customs line because of the special lines for Global Entry participants.  Clearly, if you bring only a carry-on, and don't have to retrieve luggage, Global Entry will have you long gone before the first person on line clears immigration.  But despite that, you'll STILL get to the head of the customs line even if you have to wait for your bags.  And the pre-check status for domestic flights, in our view, may be worth the whole fee just alone. 

February 25, 2014

Now that the TSA has begun to offer Pre-Check as a stand-alone program, it is prudent to revisit this thread, as the differences between Global Entry and the TSA Pre-Check programs should be clear.  Pre-Check is an expedited program which allows you to clear airline security checkpoints without having to remove your shoes, jackets, etc, and permits you to use special lines dedicated for this, thereby avoiding the longer lines.  It costs $85.00.  Global Entry is a program through Immigration and Border Control which allows expedited screening through immigration( you don't wait on line ) and customs( you have special entrance ahead of anyone waiting for customs clearance ), and whichINCLUDES the TSA Pre-Check, as well as expedited entrance from Mexico or Canada( depending on where you live ).  It costs $100.00.  IOV, purchasing Pre-Check through TSA is hardly cost effective, when for $15.00 more you can purchase the same thing and a whole lot more through Global Entry..

Author: travelann

Trips Taken: 7
Traveler Since: 2010

February 25, 2014

For some unknown reason when departing IAD last nov. for Bangkok I was issued precheck on my boarding pass. I went through a special no line ,no shoes, jacket on. It wa so fast I barely I had time to say hello to the screener. I have no idea why I was so honored. Felt like days of old pre  9/11 and pre screeners.

Countries Visited:

February 25, 2014

They do give random people PreCheck without a sign up - but certainly not consistently.    Sign up for Global Entry and you'll get it almost all the time!  (They can still randomly select you for full screening, even if you have PreCheck - but not very often).

February 26, 2014

travelann-If you are a member of an airline's SPC( special priviledged characters ) club, have sufficient mileage in a Frequent Flyer Program, or have purchased a premium ticket, you will be entitled to the same 'accommodations' as the government programs.  Also,as garyrr has said, there are other random selections( far fewer ) as well.  In fact, one of the reasons for Global Entry( which included pre-check was that the TSA was actually discriminating among travelers based on a level of ticket they purchased, by permitting the purchasers of premium flight tickets to essentially move to the head of the line.  There were numerous complaints, hence, the government programs which are available to everyone, no matter what class of ticket you purchase.  Needless to say, the airlines are not happy about this 

Author: patmckinney

Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

29 countries

Traveler Since: 2009

February 26, 2014
We have been on GOES almost since they started. Very happy...a few times we opted to use the normal customs declaration line because we beat all the crowds getting off the plan. Using GOES you still have to use the KIOSK, type in some information -same as on the customs declaration-place hand/fingers on the right place and stand properly so that facial recognition works...one time we were stopped after we used the KIOSK because the machine had some kind of difficulty with my hubby. But we are happy users. I can see the day when so many enroll that you now have long lines at the Kiosks. It will happen. Then they will probably come up with something-that costs more-to help shorten the kiosk lines. mark my words....

Author: pauline

Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

February 26, 2014

I am one of the people whose fingerprints cannot be taken.  It may be a question of age, since they were taken easily when I was younger and had security clearance.  This means having to talk with a security person who makes sure that, no, they cannot be taken, and then marks my form and sends me to the front of a line.  So the system doesn't work as fast for me as it should, but it's still faster than having to stand in long lines.

I didn't realize until recently that I also had pre-check, but now I've entered that information into my profile with AA in time for my next trip.  I'm already well past the age when I have to take off my shoes.

February 27, 2014

We dont' have the GOES card, but have the NEXUS, even though we are US citizens.  The NEXUS is Canada's trusted traveler program in conjunction with the US Border Patrol Agency.  Our airport did not have interviews yet when we were visiting Canada, so I inquired if we coudl get interviewed there, and we were accepted, since our application said we were cleared for GOES, NEXUS, and another program.

This NeXUS card is supposed to do the same for us as the GOES, except a US Immigration agent upon re-entry to US, told me to get ourselves a GOES card.  Yesterday, I called our Border Patrol GOES office at the airport and was told we did not need to change to the GOES card , didn't need one, because our passport was scanned by Canada during interview, and all we had to do was scan our passport at the GOES kiosk, no fingerprinting, eyes, etc.  

As for using as Pre-check trusted traveler.  We have been given "Preferred Traveler" boarding passes several times due to our premium ticket, and showing our NEXUS card at check in.  Getting to the Preferred lane in Security, we were both directed to the other lane for pat downs, take off shoes must be done if being patted, empty all pockets, take off jackets and belts.  My husband has two knee replacements and over 75, and I have one and under 75.   Sometimes, but not all times, if we just go through the x-ray machine, we get asked if we had a knee replacement, and I was asked if I had foot surgery on the right foot, which I had.  Upon answering, I was let go.  Other times going through the xray machine, we were just waved through.  No two TSA checkpoints at same airport is the same, nor at all airports.  This was cited in the TSA blog a few times.  Of course, we are always told, just because you have Preferred Check in, doesn't mean they won't do the whole 9 yards screening.  And they do on us.

Author: pauline

Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

February 28, 2014

As I posted above, I didn't realize that having the GOES card would give me preferred status for security check in.  Now I do, and I'll see how my next flight works which will be in April.  Last month, I flew from Boston to Miami and back.  In both places, I was using a cane with a platform base which looks more "needy" than my usual one that has a floral design on it.  I took off my winter coat (in Boston) and my denim jacket, put my wrist watch in my handbag, made sure my pockets were empty and stood in line.  I don't have to take off my shoes at my age.  The TSA agent asked me if I had any prostheses, and I said no.  Could I manage to go through the gate without the cane?  Yes, I could.  He put the cane on the belt and waved me through.  No pat down or holding my arms out. 

February 28, 2014

Global Entry INCLUDES NEXUS and/or SENTRY( the program for residents who frequently enter Mexico ).  You get reciprocal status for Global Entry depending on where you live.  For example, California residents who opt for Global Entry would have SENTRY included, while New York residents would have NEXUS.  And yes, there is a distinction between preferred screening and pre-check, which we omitted in our post above.  Preferred screened individuals would NOT receive the same benefits as Pre-Check, but may be screened first on separate lines.  Never-the-less that preference based solely on the level of ticket purchase which was condoned by TSA, a government agency was inappropriate, hence, Global Entry, and now Pre-Check, which offer similar and even morfe enhancements to everyone.  Fact remains, Pre-Check from the TSA costs $85.00, while Global Entry from Border Control, and which INCLUDES Pre-Check, costs $100.00.  It is simply not cost effective to purchase Pre-Check, when for $15.00 more you get the complete Global Entry, which includes expedited immigration entry as well as expedited customs clearance.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.