Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: katger

Trips Taken: 1
Countries Visited:

When I was younger, I traveled most of Mexico. When my son was younger, I bought a camper, and we went west to Wyoming and east to the Outer Banks in North Carolina. In between we saw The Grand Tetons, camped around Lake Michigan twice, and went to the Smokey Mountains. Last year my adventure was at Cape Cod and Boston. I look forward to see more of the USA including Maine, California, and Alaska.

Traveler Since: 2012

August 15, 2012

HI,

I AM LOOKING FOR RECOMMENDATIONS FOR THE UP COMING TRIP TO TUSCANY AND THE AMALFI COAST.. IS THERE ANY THING I SHOULD NOT DO OR ANYTHING THAT WOULD BE GREAT TO DO.

ALSO I NEED A RECOMMENDATION....

Author: nancyf

Trips Taken: 7
Countries Visited:

43 of the 50 United States, including Hawaii and Alaska, England , France , Italy , Spain, Germany, Netherlands, Africa (Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe. South Africa), Israel, Canada, the Carribbean, Peru, going to Egypt & Jordan in February 2011 ( canceled due to the unrest there, but I will take this trip later!), China, Russia, Kenya, Turkey, Greece, Malta, Sicily.

Traveler Since: 2007

August 15, 2012

"A recommendation......." for or about what??

What you should do:  have fun!!! Embrace the people, culture, food, language, all of Italy! It's a wonderful trip!!!

Author: ndegbert

Trips Taken: 2
Traveler Since: 2011

August 16, 2012

I did this trip last year as a first-timer and loved it!  The optional trips are well worth it.  One of the highlights was the agri visit in Sorrento.  The write-up made you think it was just pizza making, but it was much, much more. Don't miss it.  I also found a walking stick helpful when visiting Pompeii (and in Venice on the pre-trip too with all the up and down over the bridges).  I bought a collapsible one at REI that fit in the bottom of my suitcase.  Have a wonderful time!   

Author: gaynell

Trips Taken: 12
Traveler Since: 2005

August 16, 2012

I think that maybe Katger wants a referral....so that he / she can save a little money on the coming great trip, and so can the person who refers him or her.  If that's the case, you are welcome to use mine, Katger......Traveler number 909690. The OAT phone representative in Boston can look up the name for you with that number.  

Italy is so beautiful, you will have a great time on this trip! 

Author: pauline

Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

August 16, 2012

Especially agree with ndegbert about the agri visit.  It's been a number of years since I took that trip, but I remember it as one of the highlights.  They explain how the advent of agri-tourism has enabled a lot of the young people to return from the cities now that the farms can support more of the families.

And just enjoy everything.  I can't remember a single downside to it.

Author: singsling

Trips Taken: 11
Traveler Since: 1995

August 16, 2012

I agree with Pauline. We took this trip in 2008, but it seems like yesterday.  The Cesare Agustus Hotel is pretty nice, European.  Watch the slippery bathtub, and bring washcloths.

The home hosted visit to a private villa where the hostess grew  olives and apricots for canning/selling, and lemon trees for limoncello liquor for personal and selling.  The food and family were great.

The agri farm was interesting.  I think there are several, so we liked the one we were on, but it didn't seem like "home hosted" as described, but like a country restaurant.   I didn't go to the pizza making tour as we did something else. They had lodges to rent.

We didn't take the pre  trip to Rome because we  had been there twice befoe.  If you are not sure you will get to Italy again, the pre or post trip to Rome is well worth it.  Plenty of time to see most all.  When we arrived in 2008 in Rome (not taking the pre-trip), we had to wait for hotel rooms, so we left luggage and walked (fast) to the Vatican Museum and luckily there was only a few people in line to get in. We had been there before but not to the Sistine Chapel; (renovations both times we were there).  We rushed through the Museum to get to the the Chapel and spent a lot of time there as it is absolutely beautiful.

At the end of the trip, we were to spend 1 day in Rome; We spent that day going back to St. Peters Basilica and found it different, and another church on a different street that we had been to before, not sure name; To get into the Basilica was a long wait, but we made it; it was entirely different than the last time we saw it in 1975--no seats now.  My husband is not Catholic, but he wouldn't miss seeing this beautiful place.  We also visited the Catacombs again as well.  Since we walk fast and don't read each and every painting, scene, etc., we could have done the Vatican museum again if we wanted to.  Instead we went to the USO for Military Personnel and had a drink and bought cards and gifts.  There are lots of places to sit and gaze at passersby. 

You will have a great time.  We had been in Sorrento in 1962 and wanted to go back in the worst way.  It was great, many more shops  and places to eat, taste limoncello,and just enjoy the Italian experience.  We didn't go to the Isle of Capri in 2008--were there in 1962, but some people went there on their own, ask PD for but/train directions.  I t hink that was in place of the pizza making tour. 

Hope this helps

Author: katger

Trips Taken: 1
Countries Visited:

When I was younger, I traveled most of Mexico. When my son was younger, I bought a camper, and we went west to Wyoming and east to the Outer Banks in North Carolina. In between we saw The Grand Tetons, camped around Lake Michigan twice, and went to the Smokey Mountains. Last year my adventure was at Cape Cod and Boston. I look forward to see more of the USA including Maine, California, and Alaska.

Traveler Since: 2012

August 16, 2012

Thank you all for your responses. I feel much better that I made this choice of Italy and am excited to go. And to gaynell thank you. I will try tomorrow by calling the Boston Center. I did mean referral.

Author: walshcs

Trips Taken: 3
Countries Visited:

Costa Rica, Ireland, Italy, the Canadian Maritimes incl. Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and PEI, Montreal (Quebec), Guatemala, and many USA cities incl. NYC, Chicago, New Orleans, Washington DC, Portland Oregon, the Oregon coast, Maine coast, parts of Florida. I took a 10 day tour to Costa Rica where I was especially thrilled to experience the tropical plants, birds, volcanos, and met the friendly Ticos. I did Ireland in Depth with GCT Oct. 2011 and it was an inspiring, beautiful, and meaningful experience to finally visit the land of my Irish ancestors. Completed the Tuscany & the Amalfi Coast with the pre-trip to Venice April 21, 2012 and it was a travel dream fulfilled. I booked Guatemala with Tikal, Antigua and Atitlan for January 2013 and had a wonderful adventure discovering modern day Maya culture and learning about ancient Maya city states with my visit to Tikal. Very excited that OAT has brought back the trip to Japan and I leave on that tour Nov. 4, 2013 with the pre-trip to Tokyo. Now I finally have the resources to pursue my "bucket list" of foreign travel and the freedom to chart my own life's course. Ask questions that will satisfy your requirements/interests in a travel buddy. Looking forward to meeting you here and maybe in the world. Warm regards, Cate I'll post a photo when I remember to bring one from home. (Only have internet at work for now.)

Traveler Since: 2011

August 21, 2012

Hi Katger,

Oh I'm so happy for you that you have chosen to take this beautiful trip. I went this April 2012 and every moment was a "festa"...a celebration of life. I did the pre-trip to Venice and HIGHLY recommend it as well as the main trip. It is such a unique experience to visit a city where everything travels by water (taxis, ambulances, grocery deliveries,police...).

If you like to record your trips with photographs, ride the elevator to the top of the bell tower in St Mark's square opposite the Basilica...you will have a breath-taking view of Venice and its canals in all four compass directions. Not only will you enjoy this bird's eye view, you will have an amazing photo opportunity for about 8 Euro. (Yes..not cheap but I'm very glad I paid the price. Only go up if the day is clear). Again, if you do the pre-trip, visit the Doge's Palace, walk inside the Bridge of Sighs, and experience the connecting prison on your free time. The elaborate decoration of walls and ceilings in the Doge's Palace may be an awe-inspiring close 2nd to St. Peter's in Rome. Moderately priced meals can be had if you venture into the neighborhoods behind San Marco or across the canal.

Our week in Tuscany was MY favorite. Don't believe anyone who tells you that "once you have seen one hill town, you have seen them all". There may be charming similarities but each place has its own significance and notable features. Take all optional trips is my recommendation. If you have a special desire to visit one of the famous museums in Florence, ask GCT what day & date you will be there and MAKE YOUR OWN RESERVATION weeks in advance to insure success. We did not make a reservation and our PD tried her best the day before, however, some of us were very sad that we couldn't gain access to the Uffizi Gallery. Just Google and make your reservation on-line.

Sorrento had the best shopping and opportunities for independent exploration as you stay in town near the most interesting squares. On a free day, you could arrange for a taxi to Positano (group can't go there with the coach) and share it with others who might want to join you to split the cost. The view back up at the town from the beach is stunning. Another day you might consider an independent trip on the train from Sorrento to the Roman ruins of Herculaneum (if you liked Pompeii...this is even better if you appreciate frescos, and other artifacts in place vs. going to a museum to see them off-site). The train station is close to the hotel and PD can advise you on details. Again I would do all optionals for the full experience of Italian life, history, and art.

Wishing you a wonderful travel adventure in Italia.

Ciao, ciao

walshcs

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.