Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: nvpdub

Traveler Since: 2007

August 14, 2012

Have returned from the Best of E. Europe trip, our first GC trip, although we have traveled with OAT several times.  The best things about this trip:

1) Agnes, our tour guide.  She helped us see everything (we did lots of research ahead of time) we wanted to see and wasn't overly pushy about "recommending" places.  She offered advice, told us about the places we were seeing, and was just plain dang gum helpful!

2) Lots of free time to explore on your own.  Our hotels were so centrally located we walked almost everywhere!  When not walking, we were able to get around quite nicely on the subways and trams.

3) This was the best home hosted dinner we have been to.  The food, the setting, and the English ability of the hosts made this a lovely experience.

4) Poland - what wonderful, friendly people.

The only downside(s) to this tour were the long (and I do mean long...200 miles on the roads there is much different than 200 miles on the roads in the U.S.) transfer days.  The train was fun from Berlin to Warsaw, but the driving was mundane.  Two days of the tour were just fill time.

But overall, I do feel that this is a good value trip for the money.  Do your research ahead of time of places you want to see.  If you want to see the Old Market (archealogical site) under Market Square in Krakow, get your tickets the first day you arrive.  They sell out quickly and there are only a limited amount.

Author: cmonk197

Traveler Since: 2009

November 04, 2012

We're scheduled for the Best of Eastern Europe in may 2013. What do you mean that 200 miles in Eastern Europe is not like 200 miles in America? How comfortable were the buses? I assume there were stops every two hours along the way with perhaps some "discovery"?

Any other tips for this trip? Thanks so much.

Author: singsling

Traveler Since: 1995

November 04, 2012

It's been almost 6 years since we were on the Eastern Europe to the Black Sea river cruise, but our memories of the bus rides to different sites were thus:  Picture 1950, living in a small town away from a big city; picture driving to the big city on a two lane, mostly rural road.  That is what you mostly see in Eastern Europe.  Now, in the US we have Interstates, 8 lane parkways, 6 lane boulevards, etc.  I'm sure you get the picture. 

Don't get me wrong, we liked the trip (I didn't say love, like some of our fellow travelers).  I found it depressing to learn while there that these countries were not able (reluctant may be a better word) to invest in infrastructure like Prague, Budapest, Bucharest, Tallin, Krakow, Warsaw, and others.  Supposedly countries of the old eastern bloc were given funds to rebuild factories, and individuals got stipends to start over, too.  But, all in all, it was an eye opener to visit these countries.  And you will enjoy the trip, I'm sure. 

Author: ibuydmw@me.com

Trips Taken: 0

June 12, 2013

We took this tour May-June 2013 with both the Berlin and Vienna extensions with a really nice group of fellow travelers.  Had a lot of rain but were still able to do and see a great deal in each city just by making being wet a non issue. Luckily, we were moving just ahead of the floods which did so much damage to many of the cities we visited.

We found the Berlin extension was essential. The day and a half allowed on the base tour is simply not enough time. The Vienna extension was OK but the hotel is a bit out of the areas where you probably want to spend a lot of time. However, it is on a very convenient train line and is just two stops from the Prater amusement park where you can ride the Wiener Riesenrad (the ferris wheel in The Third Man” movie - so not all bad!! That and the 24 hour ticket for use of Vienna’s excellent public transportation also minimized issues with location of the hotel.

The itinerary for this tour provides an excellent overview of very interesting countries (Germany, Poland, Czech Republic and Hungary plus Austria with the post-trip extension) which have very complex and often tragic histories. Between the videos we watched on the fairly long bus rides (there were three, four with the post-trip extension), the outstanding lectures in Warsaw, Krakow, Prague and Budapest, the included tours and activities, and the ongoing narrations from our Program Director, Marta (outstanding!!), and all we saw and did on our own at each location, we expanded and deepened our knowledge and understanding of this part of Europe.

Yes, the bus rides were long. But, our program Director played two or three videos relevant to the trip on each of them. Helped the time pass quickly. All these videos really prepred us for the next stop or helped us reflect on where whe had been. Highlights were the cartoons of  Krtek, a documentart ofnPope John Paul II (backdrop was WW 2 and the Nazi and the Soviet occupation of Warsaw) and a movie on the Hapsburg's. Since I did not know a lot of the story it really helped me full appreciate all we saw at their palaces in Vienna. 

The included lectures are not to be missed. It is a good idea to arrive early and be ready to stay a few minutes after each of them. The lectures often took those times to more informally talk about their lives and their countries. That was when, in Warsaw, we heard the story of the father of the presenter experience as a student in Pittsburg while Poland was still in soviet control, when, in Prague, we heard about Krtek (Czech cartoon character) and his trip on the Space Shuttle and, when, in Budapest, after the talk comments addressed the reasons why Hungary has not yet adopted the Euro.

Each of these cities is fascinating and our days were full. We took the “free time to explore on your own” comments in the brochure very seriously and designed our own plans for the, afternoons, evenings and full days with no scheduled activities. There is no question this resulted in our doing and seeing more.  However, the Program Director Marta (did I say she was outstanding??!!!) was very helpful and had lots of options for those wanting more guidance.

There was only one significant negative to the tour – the city tour the day after arrival in each location. The local guides were OK but because of normal traffic congestion (we were in big, vibrant, cities with lots of cars, tour buses and roads not designed for modern traffic)  we often spent an excessive amount of time on a bus stuck in traffic. Would have been better to just use each city’s outstanding public transportation system to speed us to each location. The traffic issue resulted in long rides to spend a few minutes at key locations like the Berlina Mauer East Side Gallery on a stretch of remaining Berlin Wall. We luckily declined that city tour, took a train to this extraordinary structure and spent an hour  walking alone to view the paintings on the wall. Our fellow travelers came by bus and spent less than 15 minutes at a section congested with hundreds of other tourists. On another city tour there was a very frustrating hour in traffic to get to see a building no one had every heard of which was followed by a 45 minute opportunity to shop at that location. We bailed out at that point and walked the short distance to locations and neighborhoods which were actually interesting.
Suggestion: if being bussed to a dinner ask how far away the restaurant is. We walked to the farewell dinner on our way back from our free time activities in Budapest and waited almost 45 minutes for the rest of the group to travel the .8 of the mile from the hotel by bus.

Another thing to consider is inherent to any trip to Eastern Europe (really most of the world). These are OLD cities filled with steps, cobblestones and bicyclists. Some degree of true physical fitness and an ability to navigate sets of stairs (most all bathrooms  and many restaurants are downstairs), good quality walking shoes as well as an ability to keep out of the bike lanes to avoid what were called (correctly) lethal bicyclists are all essential abilities. In addition the hotels are modern with features like bathtubs with very (and I mean VERY) high sides. Not easy to get in or out of!

We know our travels brought us to only a small fraction of each location but the travel experience was rich.

Author: grandcircle

Trips Taken: 0

June 12, 2013

Hello ibuydmw@me.com -

This is a great snapshot of this trip!  Do you mind posting it in our Traveler Review section?

www.gct.com/Trips/2014/travel-to-eastern-europe-EMW/Traveler-Community/Traveler-Reviews.aspx#tripNav

Many people read the reviews before they make a decision about purchasing.  The information you provided could be very helpful.

Kind Regards,

Michelle

GCT/GCCL Forum Moderator

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.