Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: ed watts

GCT Trips Taken: 1
OAT Trips Taken: 2
Countries Visited:

All seven continents, 113 countries and all states except Idaho.Plus some interesting places that are not countries such as The azores, Antarctica, Falkland Islands, South Georgia, etc.

Traveler Since: 2010

August 11, 2012

I looked at one Post Trip tour and if the one you are taking is the one I have seen it appears that you have lunch on your own right after you visit the Blue Mosque...an interesting place to visit  is the Roman Cisterns which is within a short walk between  the Blue Mosque and St. Sophia  which is something  most tourist never hear about...it is underground and does not take a lot of your time but is very interesting...it is just a short walk and there are many sidewalk cafes in the area for a good lunch..A group of us go back to Istanbul for a military reunions since 2000 but we have been there in each of the last three years...If you have a whole day on your own, you may want to consider a cruise on the bosphorus to Buyukada, one of the islands and it is about a two hour+  ferry ride each.way...we go there each time we are in Istaanbul...originally the Island had only horse and carriage means of transportation but now they rent mopeds and bycicles(no automobiles except emergency vehicles)...As you get off the ferry, and a short walk off the dock take the first road then take a left, there are many places to eat right along the water front...each time we visit we eat at the Ali Baba which has good service and good food...the "town" is very easy to walk around and there are plenty of shops to satisfy your "need to help the economy"---Take one of the horse carriages which will take you to the top of the island where there is a snack bar(mandatory stop to rest the horses) and you will enjoy an outstanding view---you will see many fine homes and other sights along the way and the tour will bring you back to where you started...

Author: rosewards

GCT Trips Taken: 3
OAT Trips Taken: 1
Countries Visited:

Italy, Sicily, Hawaii, UK, France, Greece, Turkey, Germany, Switz, Austria, Bahamas, China, Russia, Estonia, Finland, Mexico, Canada, Ireland

Traveler Since: 2011

August 12, 2012

I still rate Turkey as the most exotic trip that I 've ever taken, especially once you leave Istanbul which is still very European.  We used the public buses to get to our hotel from the airport and to the Grand Bazaar to mingle with the locals.  I will never forget the trips to Cappadoccia (especially the early morning balloon ride), the fairy chimneys, the frescoed churches, troglodyte village, and limestone pools of Pamukkale.  The Turkish bath was also a unique experience.  If there is one place that I would like to revisit, it would be Turkey.

Author: hawkeye62

GCT Trips Taken: 7
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Traveler Since: 2006

August 14, 2012

I rate Turkey as my #2 favorite trip,  Egypt takes first place. I'm sure you'll enjoy it, have fun.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.