Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: paulasusan

August 10, 2012

Hello, I will be traveling to the Northwest National Parks on August, 17th.  Has anyone been there at all near this time of year?  Should I pack turtle necks?  What types of clothes have you found appropriate!? Thank you!

Author: singsling

Traveler Since: 1995

August 10, 2012

We visited these parks by car back in 2002 and 2004.  At the Montana entrance to Yellowstone Nat'l Park, on/about July 30/31, we woke to frost/ice on our windshield and didn't even have a scraper to get it of; light snow on the roadf.  That was about 7:30 in the morning.  I went back to the room to put on a long sleeve jersey.  By afternoon, we were sweltering in 90 deg weather near the river/lodge in the Park.  Best is layering for early morning if forecast indicates cold (40 down to 32, etc.).  Light to medium jacket ; leave on bus when it gets warmer in the day.

Author: gaynell

Traveler Since: 2005

August 10, 2012

Paula, Susan - You will be in the Rocky Mountains, where any type of weather can happen at any time!  In August it is mostly warm during the middle of the day, although sometimes a thunderstorm can come through and cool things off.  It can be cold and/or windy at night and in the very early mornings.  Take comfortable closed toed walking shoes, a pair of walking sandals, socks, some long pants, some shorter pants, a few long and short sleeved tee shirts, and regular shirts, mostly short sleeved but one or two long sleeved..  Have a warm fleece and a windbreaker which can be worn together or apart, and throw in a pair of cheap knit gloves.  ( I have never needed my long underwear there in August, however.....I always wear it at least once or twice if we go in early June or late September  I usually take it anyway, whatever time of the year we are there, just to "be prepared." Take a bathing suit, too.

Remember sunscreen, for at those altitudes, it is easier to sunburn. And make sure you have insect repellent, too. I often buy a new sweatshirt from one of the national parks while we are there, and enjoy it for years afterward.

America IS beautiful!  You will have a wonderful trip.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.