Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: uofmich77

GCT Trips Taken: 4
OAT Trips Taken: 2
Traveler Since: 2005

August 06, 2012

I keep hoping GCT will do a broader British Isles Tour more in the neighborhood of three weeks and covering more areas of the country. What's offered seems very limited and excludes a lot of sites we would really like to see. We'd also love a Northern Spain tour that covers the area fairly well.  Any other interest out there for something more satisfying?

Author: sealionlady

GCT Trips Taken: 6
OAT Trips Taken: 7
Traveler Since: 2001

August 06, 2012

I would love to see an extended England, Scotland, Wales tour and a tour devoted to Portugal.  I remember earlier this year filling out GCT questionaires for future trips.  I remember Brazil (this may have been OAT), a West African River Cruise, Bolivia (OAT again), and several Mexico trips.  None of these have, so far, materialized. 

2014, Maybe?

Author: pauline

GCT Trips Taken: 11
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

August 07, 2012

I agree with you both.  It seems to me that these trips used to be longer  -  about three weeks.  I took the Spain and Portugal in Depth tour off my Travel Planner, because it didn't seem to have much depth, especially in Portugal.

When I'm able to take the England, Scotland and Wales trip, which I had to cancel, I would like to see more of the countrysides and small towns.  And I've never been to Portugal, which has always been somewhere on my to-do list.

Author: walshcs

GCT Trips Taken: 3
OAT Trips Taken: 1
Countries Visited:

Costa Rica, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Guatemala, the Canadian Maritimes incl. Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and PEI, Montreal (Quebec), , and many USA cities incl. NYC, Chicago, New Orleans, Washington DC, Portland Oregon, the Oregon coast, Maine coast, parts of Florida. I took a 10 day tour to Costa Rica where I was especially thrilled to experience the tropical plants, birds, volcanos, and met the friendly Ticos. I did Ireland in Depth with GCT Oct. 2011 and it was an inspiring, beautiful, and meaningful experience to finally visit the land of my Irish ancestors. Completed the Tuscany & the Amalfi Coast with the pre-trip to Venice April 21, 2012 and it was a travel dream fulfilled. I booked Guatemala with Tikal, Antigua and Atitlan for January 2013 and had a wonderful adventure discovering modern day Maya culture and learning about ancient Maya city states with my visit to Tikal. It was very exciting that OAT brought back the trip to Japan. I had the trip of a lifetime including the pre-trip to Tokyo in Nov. 2013 and even did the Maiko make-over in Kyoto. My friends at home couldn't believe the "20 year old" in the photos of a Geisha were really me. Thank you professional photographer & photo shop! :) The next trip booked for Sept. 2014 is the Best of Eastern Europe (land trip version) and I'm looking forward to history & culture in that region. Now I finally have the resources to pursue my "bucket list" of foreign travel and the freedom to chart my own life's course. Ask questions that will satisfy your requirements/interests in a travel buddy. Looking forward to meeting you here and maybe in the world. Warm regards, Cate I'll post a photo when I remember to bring one from home. (Only have internet at work for now.)

Traveler Since: 2011

August 07, 2012

YES Pauline and everyone else who commented...England, Scotland, Wales needs to be a longer, more in-depth trip including more of the beautiful country in England (more time in Cotswolds & Lake Districts and extra time in London instead of a pre or post trip only). And like Pauline,the reason I haven't included Spain and Portugal is because this trip doesn't offer enough in Portugal. I've looked at other companies who travel to Portugal and unfortunately their prices are much higher than GCT's so I keep hoping GCT will develop a more inclusive Portugal itinerary. I would be interested to know how many of us would sign up if that happens?

Author: walshcs

GCT Trips Taken: 3
OAT Trips Taken: 1
Countries Visited:

Costa Rica, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Guatemala, the Canadian Maritimes incl. Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and PEI, Montreal (Quebec), , and many USA cities incl. NYC, Chicago, New Orleans, Washington DC, Portland Oregon, the Oregon coast, Maine coast, parts of Florida. I took a 10 day tour to Costa Rica where I was especially thrilled to experience the tropical plants, birds, volcanos, and met the friendly Ticos. I did Ireland in Depth with GCT Oct. 2011 and it was an inspiring, beautiful, and meaningful experience to finally visit the land of my Irish ancestors. Completed the Tuscany & the Amalfi Coast with the pre-trip to Venice April 21, 2012 and it was a travel dream fulfilled. I booked Guatemala with Tikal, Antigua and Atitlan for January 2013 and had a wonderful adventure discovering modern day Maya culture and learning about ancient Maya city states with my visit to Tikal. It was very exciting that OAT brought back the trip to Japan. I had the trip of a lifetime including the pre-trip to Tokyo in Nov. 2013 and even did the Maiko make-over in Kyoto. My friends at home couldn't believe the "20 year old" in the photos of a Geisha were really me. Thank you professional photographer & photo shop! :) The next trip booked for Sept. 2014 is the Best of Eastern Europe (land trip version) and I'm looking forward to history & culture in that region. Now I finally have the resources to pursue my "bucket list" of foreign travel and the freedom to chart my own life's course. Ask questions that will satisfy your requirements/interests in a travel buddy. Looking forward to meeting you here and maybe in the world. Warm regards, Cate I'll post a photo when I remember to bring one from home. (Only have internet at work for now.)

Traveler Since: 2011

August 07, 2012

YES Pauline and everyone else who commented...England, Scotland, Wales needs to be a longer, more in-depth trip including more of the beautiful country in England (more time in Cotswolds & Lake Districts and extra time in London instead of a pre or post trip only). And like Pauline,the reason I haven't included Spain and Portugal is because this trip doesn't offer enough in Portugal. I've looked at other companies who travel to Portugal and unfortunately their prices are much higher than GCT's so I keep hoping GCT will develop a more inclusive Portugal itinerary. I would be interested to know how many of us would sign up if that happens?

Author: cliodoc

GCT Trips Taken: 9
Traveler Since: 2005

February 17, 2013

We enjoy longer tours. With extentions, our tours probably average three weeks. We used to take students overseas on 10-day trips. However, as we told them, we were there to get a touch of the sights and cultures. Hopefully, they will return to cover the area in more depth. However, longer trips equate to more money, and I am sure Grand Circle plans the tours to satisfy the two-week vacation traveler and the cost conscious. At the end of many tours I have heard travelers say, "Boy, I'm ready to go home." Not us! We are always ready for new adventures.

Author: luisa

OAT Trips Taken: 2
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji. Ireland

Traveler Since: 2006

February 18, 2013

I've not taken the Spain-Portugal for the same reason. It is not "in-depth" and it doesn't sound like  the England Scotland Wales trip is either, but I would consider that and perhaps do a breakaway.

A year or two ago there was an additional Portgual (the Argave?) trip offered but it disappeared.

I've wondered about the surveys too, there were some interesting ideas; one that appealed to me was one in France, near the Pyranees I believe.

Author: pauline

GCT Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

February 18, 2013

I think I remember that one about Portugal, including the Algarve.  And the area in France near the Pyranees has always interested me ever since I read an old Ann Bridge novel that was set there during the time of the Spanish Civil War.

There used to be a Scandinavian tour I took in 2002 that had a pre-trip in St. Petersburg.  After that, we went to Helsinki, Oslo, Bergen, Copenhagen and Stockholm.  There was no post-trip.  That was a wonderful trip!  We had such a good time and saw so much.  I don't know why they took it off, although there was an announcement about a Scandinavia tour a couple of years ago, but they canceled it for some reason.  Lack of interest, they said, but people who had signed up for it were furious.

Malta was great also!  That was an extended stay for about 10 days.  There's so much to see there, and the excavations go on constantly.  Our local guide was a trained archeologist who could tell us in depth about what we were seeing.  It's an extension now of the Sicily tour, but then we had a few days in Sicily as an extension.

And then there's the greatly lamented discontinued Costa del Sol.  It was two weeks in Torremolinos with an option for a third week, which we took.  Plenty of time to see other cities in Andalucia without being rushed from place to place, and plenty of time to see other things on our own.  That was my introduction to GCT in 1999.  And I'd go back in a minute!

Author: porkchop55

OAT Trips Taken: 5
Countries Visited:

Vietnam, Cambodia, Great Britain, Israel, Italy, Spain, Turkey, France, Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland, Tunisia, China, Peru, Canada, Japan, Philippines, Thailand, Fiji, American Samoa, Australia, Taiwan, Singapore, South Korea

Traveler Since: 2004

February 27, 2013

The more in-depth UK tours may be on the way from OAT.   Yesterday I got a e-mail from OAT asking that I take a survey of possible new tours.  There were about 8 European tours on the survey and one was England, Scotland and Wales.   

Years ago OAT and GCT both had land tours to the same places in Europe, but during the recession they did away with most tours to the same places.   For the most part GCT dropped Asia and OAT dropped Europe.   Perhaps now that the stock market is making a recovery they are looking to restore some of the land tours.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.