Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: dpotter

GCT Trips Taken: 11
OAT Trips Taken: 10
Traveler Since: 1999

August 04, 2012

Looks about full but I don't see a roll call -- anyone else going?

Author: nanaandpapa

GCT Trips Taken: 12
OAT Trips Taken: 4
Countries Visited:

Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

Traveler Since: 2002

August 04, 2012

I don't know why, but Grand Circle and OAT travelers don't seem to be big on roll calls. It may not be a smaller percentage that are interested than other cruise/tour companies, and the smaller group size means that relatively few are interested. It may also be that GCT/OAT travelers are more security conscious and, by nature of a roll call, you are giving travel  dates and personal contact information that is available to everyone that accesses the site. 

Perhaps GCT/OAT could provide a link into a forum that would only be available to those with reservations on a specific departure of a specific trip, with the traveler having to opt it to the forum, perhaps through the My Reservations -> Reservation Timeline path. I think that this would be a worthwhile enhancement without compromising security. It may not directly lead to sales, but I think that having travelers link uip prior to departure could improve their enjoyment, and links to friends made on prior trips could help future sales. 

Author: oldbog

GCT Trips Taken: 5
OAT Trips Taken: 1

August 05, 2012

Or it may be that they are looking for a "roll" call!

Author: flightplannerjim

GCT Trips Taken: 1
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Traveler Since: 2012

August 05, 2012

I don't understand why the responders are worried about security and personal information.

I don't put my home address, phone number, birthdate, secret hiding place for my front door key or anything like that in my posts on a web site.

Do they???

Just my $0.02.

Jim

Author: pauline

Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

August 05, 2012

You'd be surprised how many people post on sites like this, saying where and when they're going, what their full names are and where they're from.  Any interested thief can take that information and discover when their houses will be empty and possibly find bank account and credit card information once they get inside.  It's a terrible world we live in now, and we have to allow for that.

Countries Visited:

Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

August 05, 2012

OK oldbog,

So I can't spell, role is now roll. 

Another advantage to having such a roll call type of forum is that solos may find compatible other solos and join up, without having to commit to room mate matching. We travel as a couple, so it does not apply to us.

Author: flightplannerjim

GCT Trips Taken: 1
Traveler Since: 2012

August 05, 2012

I think oldbog may be referring to a "roll" call as like being rolled for all your home valuables while you're on vacation because you gave out all that personal information.

Author: avalarue

GCT Trips Taken: 8
Traveler Since: 2008

August 05, 2012

GCT gives you a list of passengers in your final papers about two weeks before your travel date. That may be a safer way to check the role/roll for your trip!

Countries Visited:

August 05, 2012

One problem with that list is that the people have not given their consent to be contacted, and. although with internet tools, it is possible to chase people down with just a name and a city, many people would consider that an invasion of privacy. A list that people opted in to would be much more useful. It would also let people do advance planning for breakway travel opportunities.

Author: svncontinents

GCT Trips Taken: 7
OAT Trips Taken: 6
Traveler Since: 2007

August 06, 2012

We agree that not every traveler would want to be contacted.  Some travelers, outselves included are curious to see where their fellow travelers hail from, and will wait until we meet them, to, well, meet them.  So we're pleased that Grand Circle publishes names in our final documents booklet; in fact, we look forward to it, hoping that we'll meet someone we traveled with previously( we never have ).  Grand Circle, however, has thoughtfully provided this heading on their web site for those of us who, "just can't wait to begin talking to their fellow travelers."  Since participation in this site is optional, it does indeed preserve the right of those who wish to remain anonomous and give those who don't a venue for public discussion.  We do, however, agree with those posters who caution others against publically announcing the dates on which they will not be home, as these web sites are certainly trolled by those who have nefarious plans. 

Author: captainlarry

GCT Trips Taken: 10

August 06, 2012

One other problem with the "roll call" threads, and a problem I readily admit that I help to create, is that they frequently become a dialogue between two or three persons who post items of very little interest to the rest who populate the forum. And frequently the responders to a post such as this are persons who have taken the same tour/cruise some years before and have no intention of taking it again. Yep. That's me also. On the other hand, it is discouraging to post a request such as the one that started this thread and have no responses at all. But we just muddle on.

I do believe that GCT travelers typically wait until the first day of the tour and sort of size up the rest of the group before entering into any "close" association. I look at the tour list when I get it and make some categorizations, which I frequently find out later are really off the mark. Only if there is a name on the list that I remember from a previous trip (and that has happened only once) do I make an effort to contact one of my tripmates ahead of time.

One of the more interesting situations happened in 2011. I communicated with a person who was going to be on the same GCT Sicily-Malta trip as the First Mate and me. We got to know each other fairly well and, without having seen pictures, we recognized each other at the airport. But our communication was not on the GCT forum -- it was on Frommer's.

Author: svncontinents

GCT Trips Taken: 7
OAT Trips Taken: 6
Traveler Since: 2007

August 06, 2012

Well Larry, unfortunately, that's how threads evolve on public forums.   it may be annoying, we agree, but that's life. It would be nice if we restricted ourselves to a more rigid interpetation of the thread titles, but there's something about posting on the internet that's infectous. 

Author: dpotter

OAT Trips Taken: 10

August 07, 2012

Hmmm. Interesting, but -- anyone else going on this trip?

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.