Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: shooting4625

Trips Taken: 6
Traveler Since: 2008

August 03, 2012

I am booked on the china yantze trip in october and I have read that you are not allowed to charge batterys in the room, can anyone confirm this

Colin

Author: svncontinents

Trips Taken: 12
Traveler Since: 2007

August 03, 2012

We took the China trip this past October, and we had NO difficulty charging our camera batteries in our room, nor were we told that we could not do so.  We do not recall whether or not we needed a plug adapter, as we carry a universal set as part of our travel gear, and many travel sites are now sporting sockets which can take either a North American( U.S ) or European type of plug directly without needing an adapter.  We don't recall what type of socket was on the ship, but as we said, we carry our plug adapters, and we had NO problem charging our camera batteries on the boat when we needed.

August 03, 2012

Thanks for the reply, I have know problem my camera can go for 2-4 days without a charge taking 400 shots a day, it is the backing up each day that I wanted to be sure of.

Colin

August 03, 2012

Colin-our suggestion is to go to a camera store and buy a second battery for your camera, which you can keep charged.  Camera batteries have a bad habit of losing their charge at the least opportune time, just when you're out and about taking pictures.  A spare battery will permit you to change batteries in the field, always insuring that your camera has a charged battery installed.  You don't need to purchase the OEM battery; third party batteries are just as good( they may even be the manufacturer who makes the OEM battery ), and they're made for all camera types.  Your local camera store will have what you need.

August 04, 2012

I do not personally like putting cheap batterys in a $4000 camera had bad experiences with these batterys my camera takes two batterys and as I mentioned I can get a total of 1600-2000 shots on a single charge and I have a magazine that carrys six AA's that slots into the camera battery holder that will give me another 2-300 shots, so I do not worry about lowbatterys, I just have a download and back up of my pictures I am concerned about, when I read this review about the charging.

Thanks for the advice though

Colin

August 04, 2012

Colin-do whatever makes you comfortable.  At any rate, you won't have difficulty charging your batteries on the ship.  As an afterthought, what equipment are you using? 

August 06, 2012

I take a Canon 5DII with a 24-70L 2.8 and a 100-400L zoom and a 50mm F1.4 and a canon S95 for video and the scrapbook shots, I back up with two epson drives one is 160 gig the other is 80 gig, and a small netbook for extra back up,  I have had a loss off pictures one time, never again...... I also throw in a small tripod and flash, filters etc

Colin 

August 06, 2012

Colin-that's quite a bit of good equipment.  We envy you.  When we take Grand Circle or OAT trips, we've not been able to take more than one camera each, because the trips move from one venue to nother and we simply don't have time to set up as we might like, and it's a bit difficult on these trips to carry two cameras on one's self, even with a harness.  Maybe some day, we'll learn to do it a bit better.  These trips move too quickly to change lenses as fast as we'd like, and having the second camera set up would be a help.  We try to overcome this by carrying one camera each and the one who has the best set-up for a particular shot, takes the shot.  It's better than nothing.  We wish Grand Circle/OAT would be a bit more photographer friendly, but we guess that's the nature of the trips. 

August 07, 2012

I agree that these tours are not photography friendly but on the other hand the four trips we have taking have so many things to photograph I have always been very happy with my results, I generally do the whole trip with the 24-70 zoom but I love the 100-400 when on the river cruise, I just love sitting on the top deck and continually take pictures......I generally shoot 5-6000 pcs and I love sharing them with my fellow travellers

Regards

Colin

August 08, 2012

Colin-don't misunderstand us.  We just wish we had we had a bit more time at each stop to hopefully get a picture that we want, and not rely on serendipity to be in the right place at the right time to get the shot.  We generally take between 3000-5000 pictures per trip, but since we bracket, the actual numbers of pictures are 1/3 that.  We are constantly develping our ability to judge light so that it won't be necessary to bracket, and we can just the EV by eye to get the best shot.  Our goal is to take pictures that require no processing save possibly cropping.  We find the problem to be a bit more acute on OAT trips where we go for the wildlife than on trips where we're looking at scenery or buildings or other structures.  But we're getting better. 

August 08, 2012

Do you shoot in Raw, I generally bracket if I see a nice HDR possibility, I find the proceessing for raw is so good now I do not need to bracket as much. I must admit all this photo talk is getting me excited for China........!!!!!!

Colin

August 08, 2012

Colin-we do not shoot in RAW, simply because we do not do much editing, so we're not concerned with degrading of the image.  We can generally get by with 4-8 Gig CF cards because of it.  The Raw file is approximately 3 times as large, and we'd need a whole lot more storage.  We don't take editing equipment and edit en route primarily because we don't have the time to do more than delete at night, and even so, only one of the three bracketed photos.  So we save the weight and do our editing at home.  Obviously, that requires a whole lot more storage, but CF cards weight a whole lot less than a computer or tablet.  So, if we shot in RAW, we'd need a whole lot more storage.  However, our editing habits may change, because Apple just made our three-year old computer obsolete, and we might have to purchase a new one anyway.  And if we do, it would likely be a MacBook Air, which we likely gthen would take.

We're only learning about HDRI, and we would very likely shoot in RAW if we did any of that, because of the extensive editing.  As we said, our goal is to improve our photographic eye so that we need little or no processing beyond cropping.  We actually got that good on our trip to Australia, but that was really a no brainer, as virtually everything was on bright sunny days.  We could have even used a P & S or Advanced Compact and got good shots.

we need a lot of storage for our trips 

August 10, 2012

Have you looked at the epson drives? they are the choice of pro photographers, they are on the expensive side, but very reliable on ly wiegh around a pound and have up to 160gig of storage.

Colin

August 11, 2012

Our problem is the extra weight and the available time for editing.  We posted on the OAT web site, a thread about editing en route.  We got a lot of suggestions, but primarily everyone who did reply and who edited en route, pretty much told us that their editing was limited to backing up and deleting.  No time available for anything else, which was pretty much our experience.  Obviously, it's a lot lighter to carry CF cards than any kind of tablet or computer, and weight IS a factor on many OAT trips( they DO limit you ).  So we opted to continue to do our editing when we returned home.

That was then.  Now, we have just learned that Apple has made our three year old laptop obsolete, as that hardware cannot download their latest OS system, Lion.  Apple does that, and it's the only thing we hate about that company.  They actually MAKE their own products obsolete, forcing you to purchase a new one.  Given that, I'll likely purchase a MacBook Air, which doesn't weigh that much and take it with me.

Respecting HDRI we're still reading up on it, and will likely purchase a program when we start to do it seriously.  Given that, we'll install it on whatever we purchase and take it with us, minimizing the need to carry loads of storage, as we'll be shooting in RAW at that time.

August 12, 2012

I'm with you I edit at home, to much to enjoy on the trips to spend the time editing.

The laptop of yours they made obsolete, was it the 17" pro, I had heard Apple had stopped making it, I have just purchased a new laptop, the 17" HP Envy, I understand it is the computer that is now become very popular since the 17" apple went, even though it is a PC, what I liked most is it is now regarded as the best laptop screen on the market, and when it comes down to proccessing photos that is pretty important, in fact I calibrated the screen and saw very little difference after calibration thats a good thing

A good HDR program for a reasonable price is photomatix pro.

Colin

August 14, 2012

We own the 11" MacBook, which, from what Apple told us, after checking the serial number, was made just before they changed some hardware, and is now, not upgradable.  We'll stick with Apple, despite their penchant for planned obsolescence, mainly because we like the Mac OS as compared to the Microsoft competition, and also because our third party software is for Mac compatable.  We'd have to purchase a whole mess of software to convert to a PC, although Macs can run both types of OS because of the Intel chip.

Regardless, photomatix was one of the programs we would consider.  We've seen it recommended by a number of people.  But we do need to do a whole lot more reading to give us a frame of reference.  So thanks for your suggestion.  It's good to have a conversation with someone who has a good frame of reference as to what is available.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.