Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: sjde

July 24, 2012

We'll be on the River Aria. Do the lowest level rooms have a small porthole window? That's the way it looks on the pictures.  We're wondering about upgrading for more light.

Author: nanaandpapa

Trips Taken: 15
Countries Visited:

Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

Traveler Since: 2002

July 24, 2012

You should get plenty of light, What you won't get is any view unless you're standing up, but you usually will not spend much time in the cabin except to change and sleep.. In dock you may have the light blocked, either by the dock or another ship tied up alongside you, but the light would possibly be blocked on any by the upper level. We have taken 5 cruises and always buy the lowest level cabin, but on the last one were were upgraded to balcony because one was available and we have traveled 13 times. The balcony was nice, but we don't feel that it is worth the money. The non balconey cabins are also 2 feet larger, as the balcony space comes out of the cabin. I assume that you looked at the pictures of the cabins on the wesite, as well as the external picture of the ship.

Author: gaynell

Trips Taken: 12
Traveler Since: 2005

July 24, 2012

How about a compromise......more view and light than a high porthole, and less than that big balcony and window?  You could upgrade, not to the deck with the balconies, but to the Sonata deck, which has large windows.

That way you don't have the smaller room (or the balcony, of course), but you do have a view when you are in the cabin. My tall husband can stand up and look out those portholes, but I'm shorter and can't see a thing, and feel a little claustrophobic. And I love to wake up in the morning and throw open the curtains and immediately have a sense of where I am! 

Author: mackwarren

Trips Taken: 8
Traveler Since: 2003

July 25, 2012

The windows in the lower cabins are fine. Except to shower and sleep you are seldom there. We have had cabins on three different levels and believe that they are interchangeable and that the differences are insignificant.

Author: wattsed

Trips Taken: 3
Countries Visited:

All seven continents, 113 countries and all states except Hawaii and Idaho.Plus some interesting places that are not countries such as The zores, Falkland Islands, South Georgia, etc.

Traveler Since: 2010

July 31, 2012

I don't think an upgrade is worth the money--I always book the lowest and as been mentioned, the lower cabins tend to be larger since space inside the cabin goes all the way to the bulkhead rather than having a small balcony that takes up space...on some boats, and I don't know if this is true with all GCT boats, the second level has a walk around the entire boat...It is just human nature for people to look in an open window or one where the curtains are not drawn as they stroll around the deck...!

Author: jayge

Trips Taken: 11
Traveler Since: 2004

August 01, 2012

If you look on "Find a trip" and see a list of GCT's privately owned ships, they have all kinds of videos and one shows the three different levels of cabins in "virtual" so it scans around and you can see everything in the room.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.