Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: bobandjudy1

Trips Taken: 4
Traveler Since: 2007

April 29, 2010

When you receive your name tag, before leaving home, put your first name on the back in large letters with a permanent marker. It seems like half of the time it is turned around and this way, we get to know each other faster.

Author: hootie

Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

China, Austria, Germany, Hungary, Slovakia, Poland, Serbia, Croatia, Romania, Transylvania, Bulgaria, Chech Republic, Slavakia, Bratislava, Egypt, Israel, Cyprus, Crete, Greece, Turkey, Istanbul, Italy, England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Estonia, Russia, Tahiti & French Polynesia/Society Islands, Hawaiian Islands, Bermuda, Alaska, Costa Rica, Mexico, United States, Panama Canal, Caribbean (extensively), Canada/Nova Scotia, Canary Islands, Gibralter, Spain, Portugal, Morocco, Vatican City, France, Holland, Belgium, Tasmania, Australia, New Zealand, Ukraine, Russia.

Traveler Since: 2001

May 12, 2010

About that NAME TAG...

While traveling in Egypt, I was so tired of saying "no, thank you" to the many vendors who won't take NO for an answer that I had the program director write on the back of my tag in egyptian..."I HAVE NO MONEY'.  All I had to do was show that side of  the tag when I wasn't interested and the results were amazing!

In China, I had  "no, thank you"  written in chinese on back of tag.

Everyone, including most  vendors, laughed at the message.

It worked for me.

Author: luisa

Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji. Ireland

Traveler Since: 2006

May 15, 2010

Hootie,

That's the best travel tip I've every seen. I wish I'd known before Egypt and hope I remember if I go to China.

Author: capybara

Trips Taken: 12
Traveler Since: 2003

March 08, 2011

Thanks Hootie, great idea!

Author: genevich

Traveler Since: 2003

November 12, 2012

Name tags??????  Oh, no!  Not name tags!  OAT doesn't make you wear those things!  Does GCT?

Author: revbet

Trips Taken: 5
Traveler Since: 2008

November 12, 2012

Well, they certainly encourage it - but, to be honest, I never do nor do the folks I usually travel with!

Author: porkchop55

Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

Vietnam, Cambodia, Great Britain, Israel, Italy, Spain, Turkey, France, Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland, Tunisia, China, Peru, Canada, Japan, Philippines, Thailand, Fiji, American Samoa, Australia, Taiwan, Singapore, South Korea

Traveler Since: 2004

November 13, 2012

Genevich – The only place I’ve seen GCT say you must wear name tags is on their ships.  There it is for security reason.   

On GCT trips I usually wear the name tag on arrival at the airport so they can pick us up and check our name off their list and then for the first few days at group gatherings.  It helps with learning names.

Author: gobuckeyes

Trips Taken: 13
Traveler Since: 2005

November 13, 2012

Re: GCT name tags

The guides like it if you wear a name tag, I usually don't wear one: however, I may have it in my pocket if they ask about it. The only time that I ever remember needing it was for at one hotel for breakfast, the waitress wanted to see it for verification that you were with GCT (i.e. got the included breakfast).

Here's my tip: After the trip I make a luggage tag with it. I always have two luggage tags (different sides of suitcase) in case one gets ripped off (and they frequently do). I like plastic luggage tags in lieu of paper ones, the plastic holds up a little better, etc. I put an address label on the back side of the name tag and fasten it to the suitcase with a small cable tie:

Works great, and when it gets ripped off you aren't really out anything.

Author: nancyf

Trips Taken: 7
Countries Visited:

43 of the 50 United States, including Hawaii and Alaska, England , France , Italy , Spain, Germany, Netherlands, Africa (Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe. South Africa), Israel, Canada, the Carribbean, Peru, going to Egypt & Jordan in February 2011 ( canceled due to the unrest there, but I will take this trip later!), China, Russia, Kenya, Turkey, Greece, Malta, Sicily.

Traveler Since: 2007

November 13, 2012

Gobuckeyes--I like that idea!!

In China we were really encouraged to wear our nametags. In fact, our PD Albert wrote his name and cell phone # on the back in case we got separated somehow from the group, we could show that to a policeman and he could call our PD. As it turned out, a couple in our group, who never listened well, got "lost" at Tianenmen Square (because they didn't "hear" the meeting spot), and they found a policeman who called Albert! Saved all of us waiting forever while Albert looked for them (actually we did wait for about 15 minutes anyway before they had a policeman call).

Author: captainlarry

Trips Taken: 10
Traveler Since: 2002

November 13, 2012

I don't want to be a contrarian (well, maybe a little bit) but I think the advantages of wearing the name badge far outweigh the disadvantages. Only if the activity in which I am engaged has no connection with the tour do I even consider going about without the badge. If I am on an included or optional excursion that is sponsored by and led by the tour company I will wear my name badge. I am not suggesting that you should be "forced" or even "coerced" to wear yours, but to me it seems a natural and beneficial thing to do. My appearance and my activities leave no doubt that I am a tourist, specifically an American tourist, and I do nothing to try to hide that fact. I am proud to be associated with GCT (or whatever tour company I am with) and with the other members of my group. I feel I receive more consideration and kindness from the "locals" when I am so identified than when I am not. And most of my positive interactions with indigenous persons have been triggered because of the name badge, not in spite of it. So, you do what makes you feel comfortable and I will wear the badge.

Author: pauline

Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

November 13, 2012

As usual, I agree with Captain Larry.  I've never had negative feelings about wearing my GCT badge.  Of course, I don't wear it when I'm not with the group.  There's no reason to.  And if just one or two of us are walking down the street somewhere, we don't wear them.  No point, in having your name out there for anyone to see.

Author: jayge

Traveler Since: 2004

November 13, 2012

We wear our name tags during the trip all the time we are on the ship, sightseeing with our group, on post and pre trips, etc.  it helps the pd and it helps us to remember people.

We do leave them off if we are on our own.  On our eight river trips, most people wear them.

We agree with capt. Larry and Pauline that we lIke them.

Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji. Ireland

November 14, 2012

In our first meeting on my second trip the PD said "inside-out" "outside-in" meaning wear your nametag when we were inside together but put it away when we are outside. This may not apply in every country.

Author: gobuckeyes

Trips Taken: 13
Traveler Since: 2005

November 15, 2012

pauline (posted)...Of course, I don't wear it (name tag) when I'm not with the group. There's no reason to. And if just one or two of us are walking down the street somewhere, we don't wear them. No point, in having your name out there for anyone to see.

US State Department warning..."Dress conservatively—a wardrobe that is flashy may attract the attention of thieves or con artists."....."Keep a low profile"

http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/safety/safety_1747.html

(It depends on the specific country, however); I definitely wouldn't recommend wearing a name tag when not with the GCT group. In addition to pauline's point of not wanting to give out your name, nothing says "I'm a tourist, come on and try to pick pocket me" like wearing a name tag.

Author: walshcs

Trips Taken: 4
Countries Visited:

Costa Rica, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Guatemala, the Canadian Maritimes incl. Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and PEI, Montreal (Quebec), , and many USA cities incl. NYC, Chicago, New Orleans, Washington DC, Portland Oregon, the Oregon coast, Maine coast, parts of Florida. I took a 10 day tour to Costa Rica where I was especially thrilled to experience the tropical plants, birds, volcanos, and met the friendly Ticos. I did Ireland in Depth with GCT Oct. 2011 and it was an inspiring, beautiful, and meaningful experience to finally visit the land of my Irish ancestors. Completed the Tuscany & the Amalfi Coast with the pre-trip to Venice April 21, 2012 and it was a travel dream fulfilled. I booked Guatemala with Tikal, Antigua and Atitlan for January 2013 and had a wonderful adventure discovering modern day Maya culture and learning about ancient Maya city states with my visit to Tikal. It was very exciting that OAT brought back the trip to Japan. I had the trip of a lifetime including the pre-trip to Tokyo in Nov. 2013 and even did the Maiko make-over in Kyoto. My friends at home couldn't believe the "20 year old" in the photos of a Geisha were really me. Thank you professional photographer & photo shop! :) The next trip booked for Sept. 2014 is the Best of Eastern Europe (land trip version) and I'm looking forward to history & culture in that region. Now I finally have the resources to pursue my "bucket list" of foreign travel and the freedom to chart my own life's course. Ask questions that will satisfy your requirements/interests in a travel buddy. Looking forward to meeting you here and maybe in the world. Warm regards, Cate I'll post a photo when I remember to bring one from home. (Only have internet at work for now.)

Traveler Since: 2011

November 15, 2012

Capt. Larry & Pauline, yes I agree with your comments re the wearing of the name badges. On my trips I was very appreciative if folks wore their name tags for at least the first few days so we could all get acquainted and as a former Tour Director, I also was grateful for the time to learn all travelers names (esp. since I usually had between 50-53 folks on board).

I never wear my badge when I'm away from the group and group activities, however, for included meals and sightseeing it seems to remove any doubt on the part of vendors regarding my participation.

I respect that some folks are uncomfortable with the name badge for a variety of reasons AND it has a useful function at times. Its interesting to me that on my Ireland trip we all wore our badges most of the time and on the trip to Italy most of us gave up wearing them after about 3 days?

walshcs

Countries Visited:

November 17, 2012

On all the trips I've taken name tags were worn only the first few days.

Author: singsling

Traveler Since: 1995

November 17, 2012

My experience is for morning buffets or included meals at hotel, even if  you don't wear your name tag while out on tours, the restaurant staff could readily see you are a membr of GCT and can show you your seating, and your eligibility to have a free breakfast or included meal.

I also appreciate it if people wear their badges so that I can know their name.  I'm not good at remembering names if I'm not with that particular person all day. 

Author: pltexas

Trips Taken: 2
Traveler Since: 2012

November 23, 2012

I'm totally in agreement w/Capt Larry!  I wish everyone would wear their name tags - if for no other reason than some of us are SOOOOO BAD at remembering names!

But the best idea I heard was the PD's name and phone number on the back - that is an excellent idea I thing that should be done on every trip by every PD!  We had one in our group is Cuzco get lost - I'm sure she and the PD would have had less palpitations had that info been on her tag - especially since they really encouraged that everyone wear their tags, so we at least alway had them with us.

Author: blea

Countries Visited:

Mexico, South America (Columbia), Central America (Panama, Costa Rica), British Isles, Spain, France, Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Belgium, Germany, Greece, Italy, Prague (before liberation), Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, China, Fiji, Australia, New Zealand, Russia, Finland, Estonia... wow! I've never listed all the places I've been!

February 19, 2014

My favorite NEW tip and note to self:  We learned the hard way, to be sure to really look at and study the flight itinerary set by GCT. I know they do the best they can, but if we had done this before leaving for Russia last fall we could have caught a fatal flaw. The departure flight time to leave for home SEEMED ok, although pretty early in the morning, but what we didn't figure was the distance from the ship to the airport and the Moscow traffic and time allowances that had to be made. Because of this, our coach to the airport had us leaving the ship about 1:30 or 2 am! This was the morning after the last included excursion on our trip which was the Moscow circus from which we would not have been back to the ship until 11pm or later. We opted out with real regret, thinking we should try to get a least a couple hours sleep. As it turned out we couldn't sleep anyway knowing how soon we had to get up. We might as well have gone to the circus. The biggest problem, however, was how MISERABLE we were all the way home. We flew from Moscow to Vienna and had a long layover there before boarding for Washington DC- then on to home. Made me say-- again--- "Never again!" 

We love Grand Circle but needed to be just a little less trusting in this case.

Author: blea

Countries Visited:

Mexico, South America (Columbia), Central America (Panama, Costa Rica), British Isles, Spain, France, Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Belgium, Germany, Greece, Italy, Prague (before liberation), Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, China, Fiji, Australia, New Zealand, Russia, Finland, Estonia... wow! I've never listed all the places I've been!

February 19, 2014

My favorite NEW tip and note to self: We learned the hard way to be sure to really look at and study the flight itinerary set by GCT. I know they do the best they can, but if we had done this before leaving for Russia last fall we could have caught a fatal flaw. The departure flight time to leave for home SEEMED ok, although pretty early in the morning, but what we didn't figure was the distance from the ship to the airport and the Moscow traffic and time allowances that had to be made. Because of this, our coach to the airport had us leaving the ship about 1:30 or 2 am! This was the morning after the last included excursion on our trip which was the Moscow circus from which we would not have been back to the ship until 11pm or later. We opted out with real regret, thinking we should try to get a least a couple hours sleep. As it turned out we couldn't sleep anyway knowing how soon we had to get up. We might as well have gone to the circus. The biggest problem, however, was how MISERABLE we were all the way home. We flew from Moscow to Vienna and had a long layover there before boarding for Washington DC- then on to home. Made me say-- again--- &quot;Never again!&quot;&nbsp;</p> <p>We love Grand Circle but needed to be just a little less trusting in this case.</p>

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.