Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: dleeklee

GCT Trips Taken: 1
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Traveler Since: 2012

July 08, 2012

My GCT Handbook instructs me to make a copy of my passport along with extra photos.  What is the purpose of the photos? 

Author: maryannm49

GCT Trips Taken: 2
OAT Trips Taken: 13
Traveler Since: 2009

July 08, 2012

I took a trip in 2008 to Mongolia and Siberia via Beijing. It was not offered at that time by OAT but similar to one they now have. Problems (due to Olympic year) meant my visa, ordered from a passport service recommended (Not PVS) meant I was not allowed to board returning flight from Mongolia to Beijing. Left behind from our group on that flight and had to stay overnight in Ulanbataar, go to Chinese consolate next day to get new visa. I unfortunately had packed my extra passport pictures, which I always carry in my luggage which had already gone ahead of me on my original flight as we tried to no avail to get me on it. Stressful,  but with literally minutes to spare next day at a very unrelenting chinese embassy had to go get new pictures and was able to get new flight. All at my own expense. So now, wiser, always carry extra pictures on my person as well as in luggage.  Chinese would only accept $200 in US dollars (thankfully I had) so always prepare now. Thankfully I could charge my credit card for hotel and airplane new flights.

On another trip (ironically also in China), one of the group lost her passport. She had to miss day of touring, get new pictures and a new passport.

So I advise everyone to come prepared and hopefully never have to use them.

Author: luisa

GCT Trips Taken: 6
OAT Trips Taken: 2
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji. Ireland

Traveler Since: 2006

July 09, 2012

Scanning your passport page, and printing it, is a good suggestion.

I usually don't take extra photos but on one of my trips (not China) a woman lost her passport and a day of the trip getting a replacement, but she did have extra photos so saved some time and expense.

Author: pauline

GCT Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

July 09, 2012

I take a copy of those two front pages in my passport, a copy of my credit cards, and copies of all my prescriptions including eye glasses.  I've never needed them, but they don't take up any room.  Oh, the copy of my passport I do carry once I've locked up the original in my hotel room safe.  You never know!

Author: grammyflo

GCT Trips Taken: 13
Traveler Since: 2002

July 09, 2012

For our upcoming trip to Russia, I printed out color copies of the first  two pages of our passport and color printed also the VISA and the horrible mug shot that goes with it.  I hope this is enough.

Author: rwhansen

GCT Trips Taken: 5
Traveler Since: 2010

July 09, 2012

If you have scanned your documents (passports, credit/ATM cards, etc), I suggest that you attach them to an eMail, send them to yourself, and file them in a folder.  If need be, you can go onto the Internet and view or retrieve copies of the documents.  If you have a smartphone with Internet access, you could retrieve them for an embassy or others to view.

Author: svncontinents

GCT Trips Taken: 7
OAT Trips Taken: 6
Traveler Since: 2007

July 09, 2012

Everyone has their own way of providing for extra documents.  We've generally ascribed to the methods Pauline has used, for much the same reasons.  Extra copies really don't take up much space at all, and we can put copies of all of those things in each of our bags.  After all, the copies of the passport page are really only good for identification; if you need a replacement, you're going to have to have some kind of identification, and the actual photos as well in order to get the physical replacement.  Downloading to a smartphone, or other device may be technologically correct, but you still need a device to access it.  That's extra weight and extra devices.  and what if the device is stolen or damaged?  if you've put all your eggs in one basket, and you lose the basket you have none.  But if you spread your eggs around, you'll at least have some if you lose one or two.  We go for the old-fashioned physical copies of the documents in various places.

We've never carried copies of prescriptions( we do take several lists of credit card numbers with the collect numbers to be used overseas ), but it can't hurt.  As pauline has said, it doesn't take up much space, and you're covered.  But we are now going to add an extra set of passport photos to our list of emergency documents, just in case.  Photographs on a smartphone may be technologically correct, but aren't s much use as the hard copies will be if you need a replacement passport.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.