Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: egs

GCT Trips Taken: 1
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Traveler Since: 2012

July 07, 2012

I'll be going on the Best of Eastern Europe trip next month.  I'm wondering what type of clothing is suitable for this trip in August..  'Dressy' for the dinner at a home in Poland or cruise on the last evening?

Thanks, Elaine

Author: rwhansen

GCT Trips Taken: 5
Traveler Since: 2010

July 07, 2012

On our Eastern Europe trip last year, the host wore jeans and the hostess, a house dress.  It was quite informal.  I would dress for the weather.

As for the weather, go on www.weather.com a few days before departing, do a 10-day forecast for the cities visited, and pack accordingly.  Even then, there is no certainty that the forecast will be correct, so be flexible.  We just returned from the Great Rivers of Europe cruise and the weather was much warmer than forecast from start to finish.

Finally, most people do not dress up for the Captain's dinner.  If your return to the ship is late, you may not have time.  If you do have time to clean up after the day's activity, don't feel that you must wear a coat, certainly not a tie, and for women, perhaps slacks and a nice top.

Author: pauline

GCT Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

July 07, 2012

Which trip are you taking?  You say Best of Eastern Europe, but that's not a cruise.  In any case, I've taken both of them, and casual clothes are the norm.  Even for the home-hosted dinner on the Best of Eastern Europe or the Captain's dinner on a cruise.  Of course, there are always a couple of people who try to outdo everyone else.  But the most "dressed up" most of us do is a slightly nicer top with our slacks.

Author: egs

GCT Trips Taken: 1
Traveler Since: 2012

July 09, 2012

Thanks to all for your input - my Best of Eastern Europe is just the land tour, so no 'captain's dinner' but we will be visiting a home in Poland for a meal and I didn't want to appear too casual or overdressed, for that matter.  So looking forward to the trip - it's my first with GCC.

E

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.