Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: jfshaney

GCT Trips Taken: 5
OAT Trips Taken: 4
Traveler Since: 2001

June 12, 2012

I am traveling to Macchu Picchu in November.  Will there be a problem with rain?  Also, do they give you enough time to cover the grounds?  What did you do to avoid altitude sickness?  I have breathing concerns -- do you anticipate any problem?

Author: lec9021

GCT Trips Taken: 4
OAT Trips Taken: 1
Traveler Since: 2006

June 13, 2012

make sure you take frequent sips of water I found that helpful. There is enough time to explore most of the grounds. Take your walking stick it helps with the climb and decent not only at the site. When you have that extra time without the Program Director you can climb at a pace that is comfortable for you.

Author: svncontinents

GCT Trips Taken: 7
OAT Trips Taken: 6
Traveler Since: 2007

June 22, 2012

If you have problems with altitude, or suspect that you may, the best advice that can be offered is for you to have a conversation with your physician prior to your trip.  He can perscribe a medication, the most common is Diamox, which may prove helpful to you.  Absent that, the natives have a local remedy, which worked for me, as well as others who have posted to that effect:  Coca tea, which we understand is readily available.  Of course, keeping hydrated is helpful, but the best advice is seek advice from your physician and follow it.

Author: nancyf

GCT Trips Taken: 5
OAT Trips Taken: 2
Countries Visited:

43 of the 50 United States, including Hawaii and Alaska, England , France , Italy , Spain, Germany, Netherlands, Africa (Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe. South Africa), Israel, Canada, the Carribbean, Peru, going to Egypt & Jordan in February 2011 ( canceled due to the unrest there, but I will take this trip later!), China, Russia, Kenya, Turkey, Greece, Malta, Sicily.

June 22, 2012

Be very careful about that Diamox. My doctor had prescribed it for me to take on the Peru trip, just in case, and when I got to the pharmacy to have it filled, thank goodness my records there have allergy alerts. The pharmacist told me that it has sulfur derivatives in it, and since I am allergic to sulfa, I should not take it (of course). I asked if there was an alternative, and she said no. I was "lucky" that I didn't have any problems with the altitude, but I was drinking a lot of water and coca tea! Three people in my group had Diamox with them and took it. One was fine. The other two had very severe headaches, probably a reaction to the Diamox. Anyway, just be aware and warned!!

Author: travelann

GCT Trips Taken: 8
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Traveler Since: 2010

June 23, 2012

I found sipping Coco cola worked better for me than the coco leaves. But I did stash a bunch in my pocket for use if the coke wasn't working. The altitude in Cusco is where you will feel it the most. 

Author: jarouton

GCT Trips Taken: 3
Traveler Since: 2009

June 23, 2012

My husband and I also had a reaction to Diamox, a tingling all over our bodies. Our doctor advised us to stop using it immediately, as it could become more serious. My husband did experience a bad headache and some nausea from the altitude a day or two later, but I had no problems.

Author: ejc

GCT Trips Taken: 2

July 12, 2012

My advice:

1)talk to your doctor before going 2)if prescribed, bring Diamoxx, but know it often has bad side effects 3)drink lots of water and coca tea 4)bring a set of hiking poles, not a single stick.  Any good outdoor store has them and they are wonderful for this trip 5) take your time and do what you can do.  Everyone has limits but you can do a lot if your pace is set by you alone.

Have a great time.  Peru and MP are world class visits.

EC

Author: porkchop55

GCT Trips Taken: 6
OAT Trips Taken: 5
Countries Visited:

Vietnam, Cambodia, Great Britain, Israel, Italy, Spain, Turkey, France, Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland, Tunisia, China, Peru, Canada, Japan, Philippines, Thailand, Fiji, American Samoa, Australia, Taiwan, Singapore, South Korea

Traveler Since: 2004

July 17, 2012

We took the OAT Peru trip in November and rain was not a problem.  We had light rain for about ½ an hour one morning in Macchu Picchu and some afternoon thunder storms on Cusco one day.  The rain did not last long, but it is a good idea to have an umbrella in you day pack.  

As for time in Machu Picchu the OAT trip had two visits there.   One on the afternoon we arrived and again the next morning.  The first day was a guided tour of the main city and the second morning had three options.  Walk to the Sun Gate with the guide, look around Macchu Picchu on your own or stay at the hotel and relax.  It looks like the GCT trip does not include going up to Macchu Picchu on the first day.  If you want to spend some time on your own I would suggest you try to make it up there on the first day.  Our guide had the hotel porters meet us at the train station and take the bags and we went directly from the train to the shuttle bus that takes you up to Macchu Picchu.

Altitude sickness should not be too much of a problem at Macchu Picchu as it is at a lower elevation the Cusco.   I recently read that Ibuprofen can help with altitude sickness.  Here a link to info on the study.  http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/243152.php

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.