Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: dbielanski

Trips Taken: 1
Traveler Since: 2012

June 12, 2012

We are taking the Pre-Trip Extension to Melbourne and the Outback.  I read somewhere that we should wear dark clothes in the Outback,  as the red sand stains light colored clothes.  Can someone please comment on this?  Also,  I'm wondering whether anyone has worn primarily white sneakers that can have a mesh fabric on them and whether the shoes became stained. Would it be better to select primarily black fabric sneakers or black leather shoes?  Thanks in advance for your assistance. 

Author: nanaandpapa

Trips Taken: 15
Countries Visited:

Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

Traveler Since: 2002

June 12, 2012

We primarily wore beige and did  not see any staining. I'm not sure if white would have shown any. Nylon convertible pants work well for that itinerary, as they generally have an SPF rating and you can change you outfit on the fly, by zipping the legs on or off. They also generally rinso out and dry over night.  I wrote a blog on the trip, including the pre and post trips. If it interests you, it js http://jackthetravelingman.blogspot.com. It was a wonderful trip and taking it without the outback would really detract from it.

Author: pauline

Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

June 12, 2012

I've always traveled there in our winter/their summer.  And I've worn summer clothes, which tend to be sand colored or white.  The red comes from oxydation, since the soil is full of iron, but you're not going to be sitting on the ground.  I wore SAS walking shoes in light brown or brown Mephisto sandals.

Author: shooting4625

Trips Taken: 6
Traveler Since: 2008

June 13, 2012

Its not the sand you have to worry about its the flys, when we were in Melbourne our program director gave us daily updates on the bush flys so we figured they are definately an issue, when we got there we were blown away by the area, Uluru is so amazing when you get close to it and Alice springs is just such a great town, do the outback barbeque, it was one of the best evenings we have ever had on a GCT evening option, oh yes the flys, they were there ready to meet us it seems as though they drove some people mad and some not, some people wore the nets but they are in my opinion worse, I found the best thing is close fitting sunglasses like oakleys these prevent the fly getting to your eye, they are harmless they are just after the moisture.

Have fun on the trip, my wife and I just loved that trip and would do it again in a heaartbeat.

Colin

Author: pauline

Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

June 13, 2012

No, you need the nets if you don't want the flies swarming into your mouths.  You can get what amounts to a wide brim had with the netting that comes down all around your head.  Or you can just buy the netting to wear over your head and plop your hat down over it.  Both forms are a pain to get used to, but otherwise the flies are too distracting.

Author: shooting4625

Trips Taken: 6
Traveler Since: 2008

June 13, 2012

we found that about half the people on the bus it drove them mad the other half they did not bother them, I was lucky did not worry me, I was distracted by everyting I was seeing.

I had no problem with the red sand, it seems no worse than arizona/utah

colin

Author: fleetfoot

Trips Taken: 9
Traveler Since: 2006

June 14, 2012

We were in the Outback the third week of September, 2011.  There were no flies at all.  Our friends went in March and said the flies were terrible.  So it probably depends on what time of the year you go.

My brother-in-law and I got up early and walked the six miles around the base of Uluru (Ayers Rock).  Our wives did not do this hike.  All of our (including our wives) white tennis shoes had an orange stain completely covering them.  We used soap and water to remove the orange from our shoes and shoe strings.   There was no orange stain on any of our clothing except our socks.

Author: nanaandpapa

Trips Taken: 15
Countries Visited:

Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

Traveler Since: 2002

June 14, 2012

We were there in early June ans saw some flies, but they were not a bother.

Author: svncontinents

Trips Taken: 13
Traveler Since: 2007

June 16, 2012

we went in December, and saw no flies.  The local merchants made a good business of scaring you into purchasing fly covers for your hat, which we found to be unnecessary.  As far as clothes are concerned, we wore the same clothes we wore on our African safaris and when we went to the Brazilian Amazon rainforest; safari pants with removable legs, and light weight safari shirts.  We also wore light weight photography vests for our equipment.  However, if you don't own those clothes and have no plans of taking trips which require them( i.e., Africa or Brazil rainforest and such ), it will not be necessary to purchase them.  Shorts and regular summer wear will be more than adequate. We would, however, recommend that you bring sunscreen, which you will use, and just in case, insect repellant, which you may find useful.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.