Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: amcculloch2001

Traveler Since: 2012

June 07, 2012

Can you ask for extra clothes hangers or an iron/ironing board on the ship?

Thanks - Geli

Author: pauline

Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

June 07, 2012

I'm not sure where you'd set up an ironing board.  Those cabins are pretty small.

And somewhere in a post last year, someone said that due to safety requirements passengers were not allowed to use irons.  You'd have to do some searching of previous posts, concentrating on river cruises. 

You can try asking for additional hangers if you need them, but we always found that what they supplied were sufficient.  And the closets are very narrow.

Author: singsling

Traveler Since: 1995

June 07, 2012

From what I remember, you're not supposed to iron in t he room, although a few times we used a dual voltage travel iron to press some clothes.  I'm sure your cabin steward can get you extra hangers; I've asked a time or two. 

I found a way to travel with few wrinkles in my clothes.

1.  Use items like books, folded items like rain coat, etc on bottom of suitcase, then layer jackets, gloves, etc.  Then layer pants criss cross with legs on all 4 sides of the suitcase, or at least 3 sides.  Then take all or most of your jerseys/sweaters and lay them out on a bed, one on top of the other, and place all together on the criss-crossed pants, then fold each leg over the tops, and there should be no wrinkles in the pants and few wrinkles in the tops at destination. 

Another way is to place one pair pants on a  hanger,  on top of that place a shirt/jersey/sweater.  Take off hanger and lay both together flat on the bed, where you would fold, place a pair of underwear and pair of socks.  Fold the jersey/pants over these smaller items, and place all in a plastic travel size zip bag.  I had 4 perfectly wrinkle free sets at my destination, on May 19. 

Also, I carry about 6 pant hangers (from cleaners), and if necessary, two plastic hangers from pants/skirts (I get these when I buy these items), then throw all away at the end of cruise/tour.

I know I answered more than what was asked, but sharing travel tips is sometimes helpful.

Author: jayge

Traveler Since: 2004

June 08, 2012

I sometimes request a few extra hangers.  I do not feel the need to iron anything and from what I gather on rivercruises and the big cruise lines, they do not want anyone using irons because of the threat of fire.  I often read about people on the big cruise line blogs speaking of taking candles aboard for atmosphere and feel that it a real hazard.

Enjoy your trip; they are all wonderful!

Author: dgevry

Traveler Since: 2010

June 08, 2012

Each person is provided about a dozen wooden hangers. I usually slip about 6 thin plastic or wire hangers into the outside zip pocket of our checked luggage - they don't take up much space & lie flat in the suitcase.  I find this is enough as I place slacks & a top on each wooden hanger.  I use packing folders & bags which eliminate some wrinkles. I unpack as soon as I get on the boat and many of the wrinkles hang out. Supposedly, if you hang an item in the bathroom, the steam from the shower will help remove wrinkles.  A coworker recommended Downey Wrinkle Release, but I haven't tried it yet. I brought a travel iron on my first cruise, but discovered this was not allowed - one less item to pack. My husband tells me not to fret, as everyones' clothes came out of a suitcase, and with all the wonderful sights, nobody will be looking at wrinkles. Have a great trip.

Author: pauline

Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

June 08, 2012

I have to agree.  We're all traveling in an informal situation.  And nobody is going to pay attention whether your clothes are wrinkled or not. Our clothes will get wrinkled getting on and off buses.   I've heard of hanging things in the bathroom and running the shower to steam out wrinkles, but that was for silk and years ago.

Since I travel solo, the supplied hangers are sufficient for me.  But when I traveled with a friend, we used to bring thin plastic ones just in case.  However, it depends on whether the hangers are on regular rods in the closet or if they're those awful ones that go into holes hanging from the rods. 

I don't know which river cruise you'll be taking, but if it's one of the European rivers where the beds are couches during the day, you'll find that when the bed is opened for the night you lose access to your drawers.  There's plenty of shelving where you can stack your underwear and tops.

Author: luisa

Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji

Traveler Since: 2006

June 08, 2012

I put tissue paper the length of pants and then fold them and pack them in large plastic bags. Same with tops.

A few years ago I bought a small plastic spray bottle at Target or CVS, which I fill with water at the destination, hang the clothes and spray any wrinkles or creases; that has worked well for me, especially with linen and cotton. If there are still a few wrinkles after that, so be it. I try to pack non-wrinkly clothes. I have a couple of permanent press shirts, one from Travel Smith, one from Lands End that absolutely do not wrinkle.

Go and enjoy your trip without worrying about wrinkles; I doubt anyone would notice.

Author: amcculloch2001

Traveler Since: 2012

June 10, 2012

Thanks for all of the kind-spirited replies.  It looks like I should raise my tolerance for wearing wrinkled clothing (loathe).  Good to know that the cruise staff would be accommodating, should we need additional hangers.  I've decided to skip the travel iron, but I'm thinking that one of my travel companions may not be able to ditch the appliance...we tend to feel the same about wrinkled clothing :-)  How about those compression bags...do they keep packed clothing relatively wrinkle free or do they just set the wrinkles in?  I do appreciate all of the packing tips.  Thanks again.

-Geli 

Author: sealionlady

Traveler Since: 2001

June 10, 2012

I agree with loathing wrinkled clothing, so I try to pack mostly knits.  Usually I shop at Target for soft black, gray and white yoga-style pants (so comfy!), with t-shirts and cotton poly blouses.  For dressy evenings I've collected a small group of those Chicos Traveller's separates.  They're somewhat pricey, but over the years I've found them on sale.  Black seems to be the most typical color, but a scarf or two and a pretty necklace takes care of that. 

I don't have one of those compression bags, but I do use Pack-It envelopes and that helps alot.  The items (especially the blouses) can't run loose in the suitcase and get wrinkled. 

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.