Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: fleetfoot

GCT Trips Taken: 8
OAT Trips Taken: 2
Traveler Since: 2006

June 02, 2012

I wear men's white cotton crew socks with tennis shoes when I'm traveling.  The socks take up a lot of room in my luggage.  I would like to switch to quick-dry socks.  I've looked at some websites such as Amazon, Magellans, Travel Smith.  Some of the reviews stated that some of the quick-dry socks didn't dry overnight or that the socks were too thin.

I'm trying to find a good pair of quick-dry socks to wear with my tennis shoes.  Note: I am not looking for any dress socks.  I would appreciate any recommendations.

thanks

Author: singsling

GCT Trips Taken: 11
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Traveler Since: 1995

June 06, 2012

You might try diabetic socks.  We looked at all possible items of clothing for what was supposed to be a wet and rainy trip to Ireland starting May 18, 2012, but ended  up to be very warm (80 deg) and sunny.

Several months before our trip, I looked at different items of clothing that would dry fast if I had to wash sweaters, thick socks, jeans.  I found anything that had some polyester or even nylon even if mixed with cotton dried a lot faster than 100% cotton.  My acrylic/cotton sweaters dried overnight or in a few hours; diabetic socks dried a lot faster.  But, we usually washed them early in the evening, and before bed I would turn them toe up and by morning they would be dry.  These items are also lighter in the suitcase.   Diabetic socks come with thick soles, but still light.  They are available in major chain drug stores like Walgreens/CVS, but I also bought them on line from Carol Wright or other junk mail catalogs, like $4.99 a pair, or 8.99 a pair.  Hope this helps

June 08, 2012

singsling,

Thanks for the quick-dry tips. 

Author: ticketsmoneypass...

GCT Trips Taken: 2
OAT Trips Taken: 3
Traveler Since: 2008

July 20, 2012

I use white athletic socks from Walmart. Check the label. I think they are poly/nylon blend or maybe poly/lycra. Either way they are inexpensive, easy to find and wash and dry quickly.

August 15, 2012

ticketsmoneypass,

Thanks for the reply.  We recently returned home from our GCT trip and have just started reading the BB Forum.

Author: jayge

GCT Trips Taken: 11
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Traveler Since: 2004

August 16, 2012

Quick dry socks.

I recently purchased a pair of diabetic socks at the New Balance store.   I am not diabetic but have Morton neuroma on both feet and need to have padded socks.  I purchased a pair of white, women's diabetic socks.  It says they are 87% polyester, 11% nylon and 2% spandex.

The cardboard that held the socks also said they have a hand linked stitched toe seam which provides maximum toe box comfort the yarns keep you dry and comfortable by managing moisture control.

I washed the socks and put them on my open wire shelf in my laundry room and they dried overnight.

They were $12.00 each.  I compared them with Walmart diabetic socks and found the New Balance ones were softer and thicker.

Hope this helps someone; especially diabetics.

August 16, 2012

Thanks Jayge.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.