Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: ellengord

Countries Visited:

Tanzania, Australia, New Zealand, Greece, Italy, France, Scotland, Hawaii and many Carribean islands ... Ellen enjoyed a safari in Kenya with her dad but that was 30 years ago and she's looking forward to another African adventure!

Traveler Since: 2011

June 02, 2012

Please tell me how many hours spent and how many visits you made to the Great Wall of China during either of the OAT trips ... has anyone travelled to Bejing early (or stayed extra days) to take day trips to the Great Wall before/after their OAT trip?  If so, please tell me which sections of the Wall you travelled to and if your experience was worth the extra effort!

thanks!  Ellen

Author: nurse

Traveler Since: 2006

June 13, 2012

Are you traveling with OAT or GCT============I have done the OAT Chna ---------we spent a 1/2 day on the wall---with Oat we went to a private section of the wall near Bandaling sp? we were the only people there --had a Mongolian assistant if anyone needed to have help climbing-allowed to stay as long as we wanted ------Wonderful- and then we went on to The tourist part of the wall in Bandeling and had 2 choices to do the wall either the crowded part of the wall to the left or the little harder part to the right ----we did the right =============what wonderful experiences we had!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Author: bad758

Traveler Since: 2001

June 14, 2012

Don't miss the Great Wall!  We did the OAT trip as well and it was wonderful.  Also, don't miss the Peking Opera!! Absolutely wonderful--

Author: gobuckeyes

Traveler Since: 2005

August 08, 2012

We did the OAT trip in 2005 and visited 2 different sections of the Great Wall in Badaling:

1. an unrestored section.

b. a restored section.

As I recall we had an hour or so to explore each area. Note the entrance fee for the restored section was not included, i.e. it cost ¥45 or about $7 pp. It was definitely worth it. A few in the group chose not to go on the wall and just explored the numerous shops in the area.  

That was in 2005 and (I know) things could have changed since then.

Author: svncontinents

Traveler Since: 2007

August 09, 2012

As far as we understand, the OAT and Grand Circle trips do not visit the same section of the Great Wall.  The OAT trip visists a less visited section as compared to Grand Circle.  When we took the Grand Circle trip this past October, we visited a most crowded section of the Great Wall, but found adequate opportunity to see the Wall, scenery and get some good pictures, as well as partake in the numerous souveneir shops and restaurants( Grand Circle provided lunch at one ), as well as make purchases from the local street vendors who were selling pretty much the same merchandise as the shops at about 1/3 the price.

If you don't like crowds and want an opportunity to do a bit more exploring on your own, the OAT trip visiting the Wall may be just what you want.  Otherwise, the Grand Circle experience will be adequate for you.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.