Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: ironsides

GCT Trips Taken: 10
OAT Trips Taken: 10
Countries Visited:

89 countries

Traveler Since: 2001

May 31, 2012

Is it possible to find out how many female singles are on the same trip as I am thinking

about?  

Author: janice!

GCT Trips Taken: 7
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Traveler Since: 1999

May 31, 2012

You would have to ask GCT but I really doubt that they would tell you.

Author: nanaandpapa

GCT Trips Taken: 12
OAT Trips Taken: 4
Countries Visited:

Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

Traveler Since: 2002

May 31, 2012

Even if they wanted to, GCT could only give you what the reservations are at that time, which could change drastically before departure.  From prior experience, I would estimate that you would have at least 10 women traveling alone, or with other women per 100 travlers. You could ask people who have taken the trip you are interested in, what their experiences are. GCT send a roster of all travelers in the predeparture package, so it would be pertty easy to estimate the numbers based on names.

Author: pauline

GCT Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

June 01, 2012

That estimate wouldn't necessarily be true.  For years, I traveled with a close friend but we didn't live in the same area.  So the listing wouldn't show we were traveling together.  And the reverse is true.  You might find people from large urban areas traveling on the same tour, but they might never have met before.

GCT and OAT limit the number of solo travelers on any one trip.  All tour companies do.  But sometimes it happens that the number of solo travelers ends up being larger.  When I went to Ireland last year, there were seven of us traveling solo.  Two of the seven were accompanying friends who were pairs.  But the remaining five of us were really solo.  The only reason I can think of as to why an exception was made is that for some of us the departure date had been changed.  And, perhaps, they combined two groups.

But I'm curious as to why you asked that question. 

Countries Visited:

89 countries

June 01, 2012

I have traveled solo on 3  OAT trips that were limited to 16 travelers.  The first one had 14

women and 2 men.  The second trip had 4 single women.  However, on the third trip,

there was only one other single woman and her parents were also on the trip.  She did not

have the same last name, nor did she live in the same state as they did.  I did ask GCT

regarding the River Cruise that I have reserved and they said there was generally one

single allowed on each deck.  However, they said it was very possible there might be more

than four.  Since I have not traveled on a GCT River Cruise, I was curious as to what others

had experienced. 

Author: kba

GCT Trips Taken: 5
Traveler Since: 2009

June 02, 2012

Hi "Ironsides,"

I travel "solo" and have been to Sicily, Turkey and Russia with GCT.  I am also scheduled for Paris to Normandy in September.  I don't remember how many singles there were on any of the trips but there were always several.  I have never felt lonely but I have also never felt like I needed to be included.  I am a bit of a "loner" I guess.  At any rate, for the most part the GCT travellers are wonderful.  Most are well travelled and always ready to share travel experiences.  

Author: pauline

GCT Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

June 02, 2012

I agree.  I used to travel with a friend, and we teamed up with solo travelers quite often.  Now that I travel solo, I have always been welcomed by couples who ask me to join them.  And I meet a lot of other solo travelers.  It sounds as though you felt isolated on those three OAT trips.

Author: sealionlady

GCT Trips Taken: 6
OAT Trips Taken: 7

June 02, 2012

I travelled solo on the "Christmas on the Seine" river cruise and let me say ..... it was wonderful! 

Meals were never a problem .... although I did look for tables with several women.  Most were easy-going and talkative.  It was so interesting ..... one lady was in France for the specific reason of buying fabrics.  She was an avid quilter.

I enjoyed knocking around the little towns by myself, but it was nice to bump into other passengers who might mention a great little antique shop they'd found or offer a macaroon from a nearby patisserie. 

I love river cruises for many reasons, but as a solo it's great to get back to the ship, relax in the lounge with a book and a glass of wine and know that your comfy cabin is just a few steps away and that a great meal will soon be served.  It allows me to forget about logistics and just savor the experience. 

Countries Visited:

89 countries

June 02, 2012

I did not feel isolated in anyway on the first two solo trips.  The seven couples on trip

three were very nice, but I did feel like I was a fifth wheel.  Prior to these three solo trips,

I traveled on twelve GCT/OAT trips with my husband.  It was good that my first solo trip

included the 14 women and two men.  Some of the women were traveling solo and some

were rooming together, but there was always someone wanting you to do something

with them.  It was a wonderful trip.

Author: kba

Traveler Since: 2009

June 02, 2012

I look forward to meeting you on future trip.

Kim

Author: luisa

GCT Trips Taken: 6
OAT Trips Taken: 2
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji. Ireland

Traveler Since: 2006

June 03, 2012

I haven't taken a river cruise yet but have made several solo trips. I always research before I leave and have a list of "to see's" in every city, so do what Sealionlady does, go off on my own and invariably run into others from the group and exchange information and tips about what to see, where to eat, etc.

I've enjoyed being with a couple and solos occasionally when we've have the same goal (a church, museum, a shop, etc.) but otherwise prefer to do my own thing.

Enjoy your river cruise.

Author: tpreminger

GCT Trips Taken: 3
OAT Trips Taken: 3

August 23, 2013

Depends on  how you define 'single."  Often two friends travel together.  I don't consider them to be solo travelers. 

If you, like me, go alone then in my experience there are usally one or two other solos on board.

Author: casey

OAT Trips Taken: 2
Traveler Since: 2002

August 24, 2013

My husband and I took the Safari Serengeti trip with 5 couples and 4 single women.  We were one happy group.  On the Australia/NZ trip there were 4 couples and 7 single women.  Again, we were one happy group.  I've never seen any issues with singles and couples mixing and I would never hesitate to travel as a single with GCT/OAT.

Author: franniepat

GCT Trips Taken: 3
OAT Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

Ireland, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Austria, Portugal, Costa Rica, Peru, Bolivia, Columbia, Mexico, Alaska, Canada, Western US parks.

Traveler Since: 2008

August 26, 2013

I did a trip to Costa Rica with 11 women and one guy. Luckily our PD was male so he was not alone!

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.