Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: gobuckeyes

Traveler Since: 2005

October 25, 2012

hootie (posted)...Many posts have touched on gift ideas...the ususal ones: fridge magnet, calendar with pictures of your state, post card of your state, christmas ornament, small book/booklet of state, t-shirt, cap, state pin...I just thought of something I may do myself...a pack of flower seeds of our state flower.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just sayin': Bringing seeds into Australia may be a bad idea. I know you would have to declare them,  The customs people there are very thorough. You don't declare them, they find them, and you are in trouble. I have no idea what seeds are allowed vs not allowed; however, it is not worth the potiential problem and/or headache.

They gave me a hard time because I didn't declare a couple cans of Beanie Weenees.

I thought it was only unprocessed food, no you declare ALL food and let them decide if you can bring it into the country: Fortunately I got to keep my Beanie Weenees and wasn't fined; but the customs guy was not pleased.

http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/travel/entering-australia/cant-take

Author: luisa

Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji

Traveler Since: 2006

October 26, 2012

"Does anyone know if that would be counted as the 'carry on' or could I actually have a 15 lbs carryon in addition to a 'purse' or 'personal item'?"

You could have a fifteen-pound carryon and a purse when I took the trip a couple of year ago. Check the Qantas web site to be sure. But a backpack or any type of large bag would be considered a carryon and they do weigh them and will take them if they are over the weight limit. On my trip they didn't always weigh them at check-in, but looked them over at the gate and weighed them if they looked heavy.

You have a wondeful trip ahead -- enjoy!

Author: gaynell

Traveler Since: 2005

October 26, 2012

Loved the "Beanie Weenie" story....Australia and New Zealand are so much more strict about what you can bring into the country than most other countries are.  They confiscated two large bottles of Hidden Vallen Ranch Salad Dressing, for instance, claiming they were "dairy products." But they let two big jars of Welch's Grape Jelly go right through! 

Author: singsling

Traveler Since: 1995

October 27, 2012

This is for pltexas and dbielanski:

We will be taking the Aust. New Z trip early 2014, and wonder about the luggage, too.  Since your trips are more recent, and thanks to rosemary.. she provided some current info on luggage weight and sizes.  Could you come back to this blog and describe how things went for you, both from US to Aust, and within Aust/NZ, as far as luggage, carryons, and "personal items go.  It would make it easier to know some of the info before I call t he airlines.  I know I won't be getting airline info for about 12 months or more, so I can wait for your reply, but do come back with your experiences.  Thanks.

Author: pauline

Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

October 27, 2012

Singsling.  If by early 2014 you mean our winter, it will be their summer.  So clothes will not weigh as much.  Take that into consideration when you do your planning.

Pauline

Author: singsling

Traveler Since: 1995

October 28, 2012

Thanks Pauline.  But, what I am more concerned about is the carry on.  You know, with taking an extra set of clothes, night clothes, windbreaker, meds, book or e-reader, my carry on usually gets bulky and I know from 1999 that they were looking at this very closely, and now I hear they don't even let you leave LAX if the dimensions are over 45.  Stuffing an outside pocket can make dimensions go over limit.  We were without luggage for 10-1/2 days on a Uniworld river cruise; since we had never  had any lost luggage in 20 plus of traveling around the world, we never thought to put extra set of clothes in a carry on.  Then my husband's pack with long lens, heavier digital cameras with exchangeable lens, netbook, extra clothes, etc., a duffel can be close to inches required. 

I'm not concerned about the large suitcase; I know we have to have at least one Fall/spring type outfit; the rest summer clothes, but I don't wear shorts or sleeveless tops.  I know how to pack for Australia/NZ, it's just the carry on I'm interested in.

So, if someone has recent experience

Author: pauline

Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

October 28, 2012

The piece I've been using as a carry-on is a dark blue nylon.  It has shoulder straps on both sides, so you can use it as a backpack, but there's nothing to come across your front to hold it in place.  So I just sling it over my shoulder.  It says Grand Circle Travel on it and dates back to the days when you got one for your first trip (I think).  It doesn't say Inner Circle.  In itself, it weighs nothing, and it's quite small but holds a lot.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.