Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: tomnat

Trips Taken: 18
Traveler Since: 2004

May 09, 2012

OAT's Antarctica Trip Nov-Dec 2012 has just been moved to GCT for Jan-Feb 2013, as a new?? trip. It appears to be the same trip, which is OK, except for 4 potentially very rough & dangerous days crossing the Drake Passage to get to & from Antarctica from South America.

My wife is motion sensitive; so she cannot do this. I could probably survive the Drake Shake, but would rather not pay ($600+/day) for 4 mostly wasted & potentially very uncomfortable days at sea.

There are now several fly-in tours from other vendors flying from Punta Arenas, which avoid the 4 wasted, potentially dangerous days crossing the Drake passage. After a 2-3 hour flight from Punta Arenas, you board the same type of expedition ship for zodiac wildlife landings for 4 or more days in the calm waters along the Antarctic Peninsula.

Hopefully, GCT or OAT will offer a similar fly in/out options Nov 2013-Feb2014, before we get too old.  We think more of OAT/GCT's motion sensitive, older & frailer customer base would prefer fly in/out versus rolling the dice with 4 wasted, expensive, potentially dangerous days on the Drake Shake.

Please add comments about this approach to influence GCT/OAT!

Author: luisa

Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji

Traveler Since: 2006

May 09, 2012

Sounds like a good suggestion to me.

Author: pauline

Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

May 09, 2012

It is the same trip.  All GCT/OAT cruises have been put under a new umbrella called Grand Circle Cruise Line.  It's a question of branding or name recognition.  But all the cruise itineraries and numbers of travelers remain the same as they were before. 

I do agree that a fly-in would make it better for a lot of people, providing costs were not too high.  For those of us who can remember traveling before the days of motion sickness remedies, the symptoms remain among the worse memories.  The government had to rush through the introduction of medications during World War II so that troops would be in condition to fight. 

Author: jdbo

Trips Taken: 14
Traveler Since: 2000

May 10, 2012

My husband and I would love a fly-in option!  Sign us up.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.