Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: sealionlady

GCT Trips Taken: 6
OAT Trips Taken: 7
Traveler Since: 2001

October 30, 2012

Actually, "required" extensions seem to be fairly common with GCT; I have no idea why.  However, if you are Inner Circle, then, for you, they are not required.  Go figure.

Author: jandb

GCT Trips Taken: 7
OAT Trips Taken: 5
Traveler Since: 1999

October 31, 2012

Thanks Sealionlady.  I didn't know Inner Circle members (and probably Sir Edmund Hillary Team members) were exempt from required extensions.  

Author: pauline

GCT Trips Taken: 11
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

October 31, 2012

I think we need clarification on this matter.  I had never heard of "required" extensions before, but I checked the listing for this river cruise and it certainly looks that way.  Extensions, by definition, have always been optional.  Hence, the additional charge.  If it's not optional, why not bundle the added charge into the total?  Why quote one amount for the trip?  "But, oh wait, there's this added charge for the extension."

Author: garyrr

GCT Trips Taken: 1
OAT Trips Taken: 16
Countries Visited:

Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe, S Africa, Guatemala, Honduras, Costa Rica, Belize, Panama, Peru, New Zealand, Greece, Turkey, Albania, Croatia, Montenegro, Czech, Slovakia, Hungary, Serbia, Romania, Bulgaria, India, China, Vietnam, Thailand, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Italy, Ireland, Great Britain, Netherlands, Belgium, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Zambia

Traveler Since: 2000

October 31, 2012

When they are "required" - they are for specific dates only.   I have the impression (my guess only) that they are required when there are only a certain number of spots left on the main trip, and they need that many to make the extension a "go" (ie to meet the minimum for the extension) - so they then make extensions required for the main trip.    Just my guess.  It has been several years, but I did experience being exempted from the required extension by being an Inner Circle member on one trip.

Author: janice!

October 31, 2012

I haven't kept any of the catalogs but, if you have one, look at the pages with prices. I remember seeing statements for at least some of the trips that pre or post extensions may be required for some dates. Perhaps, this is their way of guaranteeing  the availability of extensions for people who want to be assured that the extensions won't be cancelled. Since they aren't required for all dates, it wouldn't be appropriate to make the extension part of the main trip.

Author: pauline

GCT Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

October 31, 2012

Well, you learn something new every day.  I've been traveling with GCT since 1999, and I've taken 10 trips.  It would be 13 trips, if I hadn't had to cancel some.  And this subject has never come up before, so I wouldn't say it's all that common.

Author: jandb

OAT Trips Taken: 5

October 31, 2012

Janice, I think your explanation is the logical one.  

Author: nanaandpapa

GCT Trips Taken: 12
OAT Trips Taken: 4
Countries Visited:

Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

Traveler Since: 2002

October 31, 2012

Required extensions on some departures and, conversly, departures without an extension available is more common on OAT, where, with the smaller group size, it is more difficult to get enough people to make an extension economically feasible.

Author: gobuckeyes

GCT Trips Taken: 4
OAT Trips Taken: 9
Traveler Since: 2005

November 02, 2012

nanaandpapa (posted)...Required extensions on some departures and, conversly, departures without an extension available is more common on OAT, where, with the smaller group size, it is more difficult to get enough people to make an extension economically feasible.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes and the "economically feasible" number can vary from trip/country to trip/country. I'm considering the OAT Ancient Kingdoms: Thailand, Laos, Vietnam & Cambodia trip and was surprised to read this in one of the traveler's reviews:

"We didn't take the pre-trip to Burma, as 12 of the other travelers with us did, but we did take the post trip to ChaingRaiChaing Mai, and were the only ones who did."

Apparently the minimum number for the ChaingRai/Chaing Mai post trip extension was only 2. It is an extension that I would want to do and was worried about getting the minimum number of people to avoid having it cancelled.

Also, apparenty it is a really good extension, more on this traveler's review...

" In our humble opinions, this is not to be missed. The highlight of that trip is not seeing the Golden Triangle, in our opinions, but seeing the hill people in Chaing Rai. We saw the Long Necks, where the women, beginning at age three place brass rings on their necks to elongate them. something not generally seen."

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.