Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: jayge

Trips Taken: 10
Traveler Since: 2004

April 28, 2012

Can anyone comment on their personal experiences in the post/pre trip to Switzerland and the stay at the Ameron Hotel Flora, Lake Lucerne?

I have been reading on Trip Advisor and most comments are satisfactory. 

Any negatives?  Read about noisy nightclubs and having room above it.

Any  smoke-smelling "non smoking rooms?

What floor did you say on?

What is the best side of the hotel.  Some speak of noise on street, etc.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Author: captainlarry

Traveler Since: 2002

April 28, 2012

We stayed in the Ameron Hotel Flora during our Lucerne extension of the Rhine and Mosel river cruise in 2010. We were quite satisfied with the hotel. The breakfast was good, not great, but certainly adequate. The coffee was the exception -- it was great! The room was clean, comfortable, and roomy. We were in room 304, on the street above the main entrance. It was not overly noisy in the day and not at all at night.

There was no free Internet connection in the room, or anywhere in the hotel, except for the one terminal in the lobby. It was useful but constantly in use. Ice was available only from the bar just off the lobby and then only one glass at a time.

The hotel restaurant was good but expensive. We ate several meals in the room with sandwiches obtained from the food court of the shopping mall at the train station, about four blocks from the hotel. There are other restaurants, including McDonald's and the New York Pizza, within a couple of blocks of the hotel.

The train station that was the origin and termination of one of the optional tours as well as the boat landing that was the point of orgin of another were both in easy walking distance from the hotel. The other optional was by bus from right in front of the hotel. That was also where the bus from Basel unloaded and the bus to the Zurich airport loaded.

The Hotel Flora was not the best hotel in which I have ever stayed, but it was far from the worst. I would characterize it as typical of the hotels used by GCT on most of the tours.

To the best of my recollection there were no significant complaints by any of the 20+ tourists in our group.

Author: kristenc

Trips Taken: 2
Traveler Since: 2012

April 28, 2012

Jayge - when are you going on this trip and extension? I'm going on the July 11 trip. kristen

April 29, 2012

Kristenac, we are leaving June 27 and taking the Switzerland post trip.  Sorry we won't be on the same trip.  This is our second time on this trip because we have done most all of the rivertrips and are starting to take some of them a second round.

This is a great trip (as are all of them).  We take all of the optionals on trips and especially enjoyed the ones in Switzerland.

The hotel is a different one from our last time but will also be very convenient.

It won't be long now for your trip and I just know how excited you are, as we are too!

April 29, 2012

Captain Larry,

You have an amazing recall of your trip.  We took this trip a few years ago but the hotel was different.  It did cause me problems because our particular room had been renovated that Spring and they were unable to move me until the second day.  It was a nice, convenient hotel though.

Thank you so much for all your information about the hotel; I just hope I don't get a recently renovated room again.  I will be sure to remind the Program Director before we leave for the post trip.  (the advantage in taking it as a post-trip is so the PD can call ahead).

Your email was very informative about the hotel.  I always read Trip Advisor to try to find out how new the hotels are, etc. and that is helpful too.  I have a severe health problem with buildings only two or three years old. 

It is interesting though that some people will rate a hotel poorly while others staying the same basic period have a good experience.  This can happen because we have had rooms, on occasion, which were a problem while others in our group were satisfactory.  Often it is a case where certain "floors" were renovated while the others were still not done.

Enjoy reading your comments on this board. Thank you.

Author: suekansas

Trips Taken: 30
Traveler Since: 2003

May 01, 2012

Hi Jayge.  We stayed at the this hotel on the extension after the Rhine & Mosel River Cruise.  I will tell you that you couldn't ask for a better location.  It's within a block of the ancient footbridge that Lucerne is famous for.  The hotel itself is just fine.  When we were there the breakfast room in the basement got busy in the mornings with tour groups, but we just worked around that. 

If you are looking for a neat place to eat that isn't terribly expensive you might try the Rathaus Brauerei which is a micro brewery.  Location:  Just cross the ancient footbridge and turn left.  It's located right along the water.  It was so good and so fun that we ate there twice.  Also, I would highly recommend the optionals that are offered.  I checked it out before we left home and decided we couldn't do them any more reasonably yourselves and it is also stress free. 

As usual I will refer you to my travel blog.  On the left of my blog are the trip locations.  The Rhine & Mosel river cruise is there and I made a separate entry for Switzerland because it deserved it's own single blog with all the fantastic things we saw.  You will be able to see how fun the optionals were also. 

Check out my Switzerland & Rhine River Cruise Blog:  http://thefarmersmeanderings.wordpress.com

May 03, 2012

Very nice pictures and write-up. Everything looks so familiar. We were there precisely one year before you...and Rita was also our Program director.

Author: suekansas

Trips Taken: 30
Traveler Since: 2003

May 04, 2012

Thanks Captain Larry.  We are all very fortunate people to get to do these wonderful things aren't we.  Praise the Lord.

May 05, 2012

Dear suekansas,

Thank you for the lovely description of the Switzerland hotel where you stayed.

Do you remember which floor your room was on and did you face the front street and did the windows open?

Author: kdnissen

Trips Taken: 2
Traveler Since: 2010

May 19, 2012

We're actually taking this trip next Spring, leaving March 15, 2013.  Does anyone have insight as to what clothing we will need in March?  And any other tips you can offer on this trip?

May 19, 2012

Our trip actually started at the end of April 2010 and continued through the first half of May. The weather was, in short, cold and rainy. Except, of course, at Kleine Scheidegg in Switzerland, where the temperature was right at the freezing mark and we experienced significant snowfall. That was on May 18. I would think that in March you could expect daytime temperatures to be 50 F or below and the early mornings to be near freezing. Of course there could be times when it is abnormally warm. So think layers when packing. Make very sure that at least one layer is water proof. I don't recommend umbrellas, but hooded ponchos are prized. And don't forget gloves and scarves.

Don't let me scare you. You will have a great time. Take advantage of all of the included tours and most of the optionals. The only optional tour we were a bit disappointed with was the one to Baden-Baden, but that was our personal bias. The optional tours in Lucerne were fantastic! The farm visit at Giswil was probably the best. And Lucerne is a great city in which to "walk and gawk".

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.