Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: red798rose

Traveler Since: 2012

April 20, 2012

I will be river cruising from Moscow to St. Petersburg in June 2012.  The Travel Handbook states walking up to 4 hours at a time.  Due to a slip of a Dr.'s scalpel, one of my legs is weaker than the other.  Have others encountered difficulty with long periods of standing or walking on a cruise such as this one and how did you adjust to the long walk?  Thanks for assistance.

Author: pauline

Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

April 20, 2012

I took that trip in August of 2010.  I don't remember any problems walking and certainly not for four hours at a time.  My problems were stairs; the risers are steep.  But people were very helpful and gave me a hand when I needed it.  I did have PT when I got home, and it helped for my next trip and other travel I have done.  I do travel with a cane and have for years.  It folds up in my suitcase and quite often stays there for the entire trip.

This is a wonderful trip.  I'm really glad I did it, even though I had to miss the Moscow subways, but that's my vertigo.  And some of the optionals, I had to pull out of. 

But I don't know where that 4 hours walking came from.  That's not the usual GCT tour.

Author: debi

Countries Visited:

I have been to Africa Tanzania Safari, I video taped it and watch it over and over and its just like being there. I went to Costa Rica and my video camera captures all the sights and sounds you can;t get with a picture. I loved it. I have been to Greece and England. Hawaii, Nevis, St Thomas, St Maarteen, Heart of India

Traveler Since: 2008

April 20, 2012

red79 rose

I am going on this trip in June also. I just read the walking part in there. It states I beleive that the optional tours to the Kremlins the Hermitage and catherine's Palace can  take 1 hour and up to 4 hours of walking. I have not heard that anyone has walked that long, but if they are optional tours you can opt out if need be. when do you leave? I am leaving on June 23rd doing the pre trip to the Baltics on to St Petersburg to Mosow. Maybe we are on the same trip?

debbie

Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

April 20, 2012

No, no, no!  Maybe the whole stay at those two places were four hours long each total, but it wasn't walking for four hours.  I was there, and I couldn't have walked for that long.  At the Hermitage, there is a lot of standing around while you're trying to get the best view of some of the paintings.  It is very crowded.

Countries Visited:

I have been to Africa Tanzania Safari, I video taped it and watch it over and over and its just like being there. I went to Costa Rica and my video camera captures all the sights and sounds you can;t get with a picture. I loved it. I have been to Greece and England. Hawaii, Nevis, St Thomas, St Maarteen, Heart of India

April 21, 2012

Thanks Pauline for clarifying this. It seems that  way they have it worded in the handbook it can be taken as a 4 hour walk. I think they should try to reword how they put it. I am looking forward to this trip.

Author: nanaandpapa

Countries Visited:

Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

Traveler Since: 2002

April 21, 2012

We took the trip about 6 years ago, and nana was using a walker, at the time, and we did not find the walking to be excessive. The only place a concession was made was on Kizhi Island, where a separate "slower" group was formed, so the slower walkers did not slow down the rest, but the approximate same didtance was covered.

Countries Visited:

April 21, 2012

The only warning I have to give about those two museums is  -  use the restrooms before you get back on the bus.  Traffic is very heavy and Russian drivers are worse than Boston drivers.

Author: red798rose

Traveler Since: 2012

April 23, 2012

Dear Fellow Travelers,

Thank each and every one of you for your comments, discussion, and suggestions.  Most helpful  :-)

We leave June 14 and take the post Helsinki/Estonia trip. PreTrip was unavailable.

We have taken well over 20 cruises, several continents, many land trips, but this is our first river cruise.

We debated between amakatrina and GCT. 

Author: captainlarry

Traveler Since: 2002

April 23, 2012

We cruised the Baltic last summer, not with GCT, and St. Petersburg was spectacular. But we enjoyed more and felt most comfortable in Helsinki. And Tallinn was not far behind. The Estonian people were the friendliest and most welcoming of all we met on the trip.

Author: nancyf

Countries Visited:

43 of the 50 United States, including Hawaii and Alaska, England , France , Italy , Spain, Germany, Netherlands, Africa (Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe. South Africa), Israel, Canada, the Carribbean, Peru, going to Egypt & Jordan in February 2011 ( canceled due to the unrest there, but I will take this trip later!), China, Russia, Kenya, Turkey, Greece, Malta, Sicily.

Traveler Since: 2007

April 23, 2012

I went on the Russia Revealed trip in Oct. 2011, and it's a wonderful trip! There is a lot of walking but probably not 4 hours straight. One of my travel companions had broken one of the small bones above the ankle about 3-4 weeks before the trip, and she had to wear one of those big boot type things, and she was able to do all of it. There were several people on the trip with canes, and one of the men had one of those sort-of walker things that actually has a little seat on it, so when we stopped for a bit as the tour guide explained something, he just sat and rested! And the suggestion about going to the restroom in the last spot before getting back on the bus to the riverboat was a very good one! The traffic was horrible, and it took us about 2 hours one day to go the equivalent of 14 miles!

We did the pre-trip to Helsinki and to Tallinn. Helsinki was nice, but it rained the two days we were there, and I liked Tallinn's old world charm a lot better....but my absolute favorite of all was St. Petersburg! Peterhof is an optional but don't miss it! The fountains, the gardens, and all is splendid.

A suggestion:  we were forever tipping bus drivers and local guides (of course), and they will take US$$, so take lots of crisp $1 bills to use for that, or otherwise you will be wanting (needing?) to get lots more rubles all of the time---that's a pain.

Countries Visited:

April 23, 2012

Pauline Thanks for the heads up on the bathroom break.

Nancyf

Thanks for the info on tipping that is a great help. I was curious about all the tipping we might have to do.  I am looking forward to this trip in June but am concerned now about my luggage. I bought it on line. Its a high sierra clam shape 32 inches. I am hoping it not too big since its all I have to use now. The one I took to India bit the dust the minute I got back. Is there any problem with the flights and rooms as far as space for the luggage?

Debbie

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.