Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: gcreed

Trips Taken: 5
Traveler Since: 2011

April 14, 2012

Question - What is the customary protocol when visiting the schools..  Upcoming trip will be our first.. Previous trip the local school was not in session..  Should we plan to take a gift of some sort like the Home Hosted Lunch, or will there be an opportunity to donate, or, or ?? 

Author: luisa

Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji

Traveler Since: 2006

April 14, 2012

There are usually suggestions for gifts (school supplies) in the handbook. The company asks that people do not make cash donations. I recall one suggestion was maps and I had just received a large paper map in the mail so I brought it along. On trips I've taken people have brought books, pencils, erasers and colorful stickers. The gifts are usually given to the teacher to distribute.

Author: nanaandpapa

Trips Taken: 15
Countries Visited:

Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

Traveler Since: 2002

April 14, 2012

A lot depends on airline weight limitations. It should be something bthat can be used for shared use in the classroom. One thing that I have seen someone give is an inflateable globe of the world. It is light and small to transport. Of course, there is a big difference as to where in the world you are, as to what the needs are. In a third world country, a resource, such as a globe may be very approriate as a way to see the wider world, where in a developed country, maybe it would not be as needed. We have had experiences of visiting when school isn't in session, and they have assembled the students to meet us anyway. The children love to have the visitors. We just got back from a cruise on the Seine, and had a short notice, both to us and the school, visit to a school in a small French town. The students were thrilled to have the visitors and put on a little show for us.The program directors are pushing to make this a part of the regular itinerary.

Author: nancyf

Trips Taken: 7
Countries Visited:

43 of the 50 United States, including Hawaii and Alaska, England , France , Italy , Spain, Germany, Netherlands, Africa (Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe. South Africa), Israel, Canada, the Carribbean, Peru, going to Egypt & Jordan in February 2011 ( canceled due to the unrest there, but I will take this trip later!), China, Russia, Kenya, Turkey, Greece, Malta, Sicily.

Traveler Since: 2007

April 14, 2012

I love the school visits!! The kids are so cute and excited to see us. One poster said that the things to take for the visit do kinda vary according to the "poverty" level of the school or the area. Some places are in dire need of pencils, pens, and paper. Crayons and colored markers are also fun for the kids to have. And they all love stickers!! I took a few of the inflatable globes to China. Easy, lightweight, and don't take up a lot of space. The book stores have lightweight, paperback easy readers that you can buy to take also. Before going on a trip, I try to find out either from someone at GC (or if I get an email from the Program Director) if the children are learning English in their school(s). Then I buy the easy readers in English. Some people take candy, which is fun, and a treat. I wonder about the kids' dental care, but there is always sugar-free candy, so..........!!! I never mind the space that these supplies take up in my suitcase, but I know that there will then be space later for things that I buy to take home!! There are opportunities to donate money to the Program Director (to get to the GC Foundation to distribute....the PD should have a form....using your credit card) or you can do that when you get back home to the Foundation, specifying that particular school.

Author: debi

Trips Taken: 5
Countries Visited:

I have been to Africa Tanzania Safari, I video taped it and watch it over and over and its just like being there. I went to Costa Rica and my video camera captures all the sights and sounds you can;t get with a picture. I loved it. I have been to Greece and England. Hawaii, Nevis, St Thomas, St Maarteen, Heart of India

Traveler Since: 2008

April 15, 2012

I also love visits to the schools. I work in an elementary school and take alot of pics of my school to show them.  I get some ideas from the teachers but its so great to see the kids and they are so excited to show you their school. I then bring home pics of their school to show my school. Kids are great no matter where they are :) Keep the school visits in by all means  Debbie

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.