Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: chipsey

GCT Trips Taken: 1
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Traveler Since: 2012

April 05, 2012

Our March 2012 cruise on the Seine on the M/S Bizet was highlighted by outstanding Tour Directors and a helpful, positive, and professional ship's crew.  For us Honfleur and the Normandy beaches (as well as the superb Caen Peace Memorial Museum) will remain in our memories for a long time.  What a moving experience, particularly in company with 4 WWII veterans.  Visiting the home of a local family was also a highlight of this trip.

Read carefully what the Grand Circle folks say about this fast-paced adventure which includes quite a bit of walking, some steps, and some uneven local walking surfaces.  For first-time Grand Circle travellers, as were we, be prepared for one evening when the lounge will be unavailable for a portion of the evening as veteran Grand Circle travellers (comprising the "Inner Circle") are hosted at a private party. We were among the very few non-Inner Circle travellers on this cruise so one can feel a bit awkward that one evening.  Also, bring a map of the Seine River with you as it will cost 5+ Euros on board.

In summary, this is a delightful way to travel as one is cared for from beginning to end and unless you sign up for a pre or post-trip extension,  you only have to pack and unpack only once a thanks to travelling on a river vessel.

Author: pauline

GCT Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

April 05, 2012

Thank you for your post.  I have booked this cruise for July of 2012.  May I suggest that you also post this under travelers' reviews in the listing for the trip.  That's where interested people will be looking.

Author: kba

GCT Trips Taken: 5
Traveler Since: 2009

April 06, 2012

Thank you for your post.  The trip sounds wonderful.  I am scheduled for the early September Paris to Normandy trip.  In Paris is the port close to city center?  Did you happen to see any Batobus ports nearby?  Was there time to explore the various ports of call as you meandered down the Seine?  Thank you.  Kim

Author: nanaandpapa

GCT Trips Taken: 12
OAT Trips Taken: 4
Countries Visited:

Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

Traveler Since: 2002

April 06, 2012

Kim,

I'm sitting here on the Bizet typing this reply. We finish the trip and extension on Thursday. It is a wonderful trip. The ship docks about 1.5 miles down river fronm the Eiffel Tower in a combined cruise ship docking and industrial area, next to Parc Adre Citroen. The only attraction in the area is a tethered balloon that launches from the park, but there is a nice residential area nearby with stores and restaurants. The closest Batobus stop is at the Eiffel Tower. You have time to explore in the other ports, depending on what optionals you take. I have been writing a blog on the trip, which I will continue to work on after I get home next Thursday. It is jackthetravelingman-seine.blogspot.com. I'll be glad to answer an questions.

Jack

April 07, 2012

Wow....thank you Jack.  I am going straight to the blog.  What I was hoping to do was go to St. Chapelle and Notre Dame.  I have been to Paris before and those are two of my favorites.  I love the Louvre and the Musee D"Orsay but I would skip them and Versailles to do St. Chapelle and to see the L'Orangiere (I am sure I am making a mess of the spelling).  What do you think?  Is there time in the ports?

Happy travels...maybe we will be on the same trip sometime.

Thank you again.

Kim

Author: fleetfoot

GCT Trips Taken: 8
OAT Trips Taken: 2
Traveler Since: 2006

April 07, 2012

Jack,

I couldn't access your blog: jackthetravelingman-seine,blogspot.com.  There is a comma between seine and blogspot which I changed to a period and was then able to get into your blog.  I really enjoyed reading your blog.  I'll have to check later to see your photos.  Thanks

Countries Visited:

Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

April 07, 2012

Fleetfoot

Thanks, These fat fingers will do it everytime. I've corrected the original post to:

jackthetravelingman-seine.blogspot.com

Kim,

The Notre Dame Batobus stop is just across the bridgr and down the stairs from the catherdral. I'm not sure which stop is the best for the Orangerie. The Louvre, D'Orsay and Champs Elysee are about equidistant. I would vote for the D'Orsay to take the foot bridge over the Seine, oe courrse, depending on where you get on, and the weather. We wanted to get to the Orangerie, but ran out of time and energy. There is definitely time in the other ports, except for Conflans, and there is really nothing there. All of the others are different and wonderful. My blog link was in error and has been fixed. By next Friday, I should start adding pictures.

Jack

April 09, 2012

Jack:

Excellent blog and I can hardly wait to see the pictures.  Really, I need to go to a computer training class.  Am I able to write to you in the blog?  Thank you for all the time you are taking to help all of us.

Kim

Countries Visited:

April 09, 2012

Kim,

At the very bottom  of the post, in this case the entire blog is 1 post, there is a line showing

0 comments  

If you click on the word comments, it will open up an entry box to add it. As I am new to this, I don't really know how well this works. I believe that I can respond to comments and choose to leave them stand or delete them.

I have good wi-fi here in St malo, so I'm getting to work on the blog, I finally got a couple of the videos inserted. Having no English language TV gives me time on my hands.

Jack

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.