Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: dgevry

GCT Trips Taken: 5
OAT Trips Taken: 1
Traveler Since: 2010

March 26, 2012

I felt prompted to comment on this topic after reading negative reviews of a European river cruise and a land tour. The reviewers were very disappointed that certain activities occurred in the dark - cruising the Rhine and a countryside drive. Trips in late October/November and March/early April are discounted for a reasson - it's colder and the hours of daylight are shorter. So before we are enticed by the lower price, I think we have to seriously consider how these aspects will effect our enjoyment. I, for one, get cold very easily and would not enjoy a river cruise at this time of year, but many people are not bothered by the cold. The shorter daylight hours will also effect our travel, but may be less obvious at first. However, if we study the itinerary and read the daily schedule in the catalogue, we will know when certain events, such as scenic cruising, are occurring. In late November its getting dark by 5:00 or 5:30PM, so unfortunately certain sights may be missed. I believe the general cruise schedule is set, so that all cruises during the year follow the same schedule- scenic Rhine cruising seems to occur in early morning or late afternoon depending on the direction of the cruise. In essence," we get what we pay for."  The off-season trips are less expensive, and the mobs of tourists are gone. It can be a great time to travel, if you are prepared for the cooler temperatures and shorter days.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.