Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: rosewards

Trips Taken: 4
Countries Visited:

Italy, Sicily, Hawaii, UK, France, Greece, Turkey, Germany, Switz, Austria, Bahamas, China, Russia, Estonia, Finland, Mexico, Canada, Ireland

Traveler Since: 2011

March 26, 2012

Would like to know from previous travelers to South Africa what shots or meds were required.  CDC recommended measles shot update.  Did you encounter areas where malaria or other illnesses were prevalent?

Author: pauline

Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

March 26, 2012

A little off the track, but concerning measles.  Last week, the radio news mentioned that people planning to attend the Summer Olympics in London should make sure they were still immune to measles.  And they talked about last summer, when people who had visited Europe brought measles back with them and visitors from Europe brought it with them.  In a lot of European countries, they do not immunize the children against measles.  And for Americans who received the vaccine when they were young, it doesn't last forever.

So I am getting checked to see if I'm still immune.  I will be going on the England, Scotland and Wales trip in July, and I have never had measles.  When my son was little and had the measles vaccine, I asked that it be administered to me.  If I'm still immune, fine.  If not, there's time to get the vaccine.

Author: nancyf

Trips Taken: 7
Countries Visited:

43 of the 50 United States, including Hawaii and Alaska, England , France , Italy , Spain, Germany, Netherlands, Africa (Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe. South Africa), Israel, Canada, the Carribbean, Peru, going to Egypt & Jordan in February 2011 ( canceled due to the unrest there, but I will take this trip later!), China, Russia, Kenya, Turkey, Greece, Malta, Sicily.

Traveler Since: 2007

March 26, 2012

I had the actual measles when I was a little girl, and according to the "travel doctor" here, that yields a lifelong immunity, not so the vaccination if given a long time ago. Same with polio vaccine. Before I went to Africa and Peru about 3 years ago, he recommended that I get a polio booster, so I did, as well as yellow fever and typhoid. I know this is more than you asked, but.........and also be sure that your DPT booster is up to date. We took malarone as a malaria-preventive.

Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

March 26, 2012

You can have a blood test to see if your immunities are up to date.  Since I never had measles as a child, I had the vaccine when my son did.  But it's always wise to be sure.

Countries Visited:

March 29, 2012

I just went into the CDC website to check on warnings for the UK.  In addition to measles, they mention H5N1 flu.  The site allows you to check on the countries you intend to visit and then lists what diseases you should be immune to before you go.  It also gives you a sort of time-table for how long ahead you should plan to get this done.  And there's a little quiz to take that shows you what you may be at risk for, depending on things like work environment.

Many years ago, 1954 to be exact, when I took my first overseas trip we had to show a current smallpox vaccination and were also advised to get the DPT vaccine although I don't think they called it then then.

I have advised everyone in my family intending to go abroad in the next few months, and that's about all of them, to make sure they are immune to measles.  I just had my blood test, and the results show I am immune.

Author: svncontinents

Trips Taken: 12
Traveler Since: 2007

May 19, 2012

If you're going into the bush, tghe CDC recommends Hepatitus A & B, Tetnus, Polio, Typhoid and yellow fever.  You can get then in a series at any travel clinic.  If you haven't had Hep B, it takes a minimum of 6 months to complete the series.

There are a number of oral medications you can take for malaria, the most popular being malarone.  We've taken malarone four times with no side effects, however, we're been on trips where people have had the side effect of a rash.  Most people have no side effects, however, you should get your physician's recommendations.

Even if you're not necessarily going to use all the shots, get them.  You never know where you're going to travel next. 

Countries Visited:

May 19, 2012

And your tetanus vaccine should always be effective.  I fell on broken pavement a few months ago near my PCP's office.  When I went in to get cleaned up and checked, they discovered it had been too long since my last tetanus shot.  After scolding me, they administered a new one.

Yesterday's news from the CDC called for people born between 1945 and 1965 to make sure that they were not carrying Hepatitis.  It seems there a lot of people carrying it without symptoms.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.