Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: marymel

Traveler Since: 2008

February 23, 2012

We would like to know if anyone has done an extension from Edinburgh to the Scottish Highlands on their own, as the GCT extension is not available on the July, 2012 trip we have booked.  Hotels, tours, and transportation tips would be appreciated!

Author: pauline

Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

February 23, 2012

I was originally booked on the July1st departure for that trip.  But GCT called me a couple of months ago (maybe more than two) to explain that they'd had to cancel the Scottish Highlands extension on that trip because they didn't get enough people.  Which may, or may not, be true.  In any case, they offered me a change to departing a week later which I took.  I really want to see that extension and, since I travel solo it's the only way for me to do it.

If I were in your situation, I would certainly do it on my own.  Check out Trip Advisor for hotels, restaurants and tours.  Look at the reviews from people who've taken the extension and see what they have to say about the "must see" and "waste of time."

Author: suepoor1234

Countries Visited:

All the states except Hawaii; east and west Canada, all of Western Europe(except Iceland and Greenland); the Baltics and Scandanavia; Belarus, Poland, Ukraine; Russia; Turkey, Jordan and Israel; China, Mongolia, and Tibet; Egypt, Morocco, Tanzania; Mexico, Costa Rica, Guatamala, El Salvador; Ecuador, Galapagos Islands, Peru, Argentina; Australia and New Zealand; Antarctica.

Traveler Since: 2007

February 23, 2012

Marymel, travel in Scotland is very easy -- just make sure you get a car with a huge US flag painted on the top to warn other drivers!!  HA!!   I have traveled there quite a bit.  Usually, I rent a cottage and then have day trips out to wherever I want to go.  Very congenial people, especially in the small villages.  After our stays in the villages, we had no problem getting a hotel/motel/B&B for the night as we did farther south.  Have a wonderful time.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.