Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: rosemarynj

GCT Trips Taken: 4
OAT Trips Taken: 1
Traveler Since: 2010

February 10, 2012

I booked the Australia, NZ and Fiji back in October at the price of $16615.88 with the insurance for a May 29th departure.  The trip is now published on the GC website for $15,800.  I sent an e-mail to ask for a refund of the $815.88 as that is the difference from the present price and what I paid. They have had my money since the beginning of November as I did the direct payment through my checking account.    I received an e-mail back from Jenna Bickford at GCT that they do not honor price deductions.  She said only OAT honors price deductions and that the  $15,800 is for new bookings only.  I think this extrememly unfair.  I am being penalized for booking early.   I might be able to understand if this if it was a Last Minute discount but not 4 months in advance of the trip.  I am extremely disappointed in GC.  I saw posted by Captainlarry under the solo travelers paying more that he did receive a refund when his trip decreased in price and they even deposted it directly into his checking account.    I am hoping  that after seeing this post GCT will reconsider my refund.

Author: bad758

GCT Trips Taken: 12
OAT Trips Taken: 8
Traveler Since: 2001

February 10, 2012

I agree as the same thing happened to me.  I booked a trip to Costa Rica for March 28 and now see that the price is reduced $500 per couple "for new reservations only."  This is extremely unfair to those of us who sometimes book early and travel frequently with GCT and OAT.  On one of the trips a few years ago, I do remember getting a refund because the price of the trip was reduced.  Why would OAT give a refund and GCT not?  They are the same company. Yes, booking early is not a wise decision because it appears that eventually the price will come down.

Author: nanaandpapa

GCT Trips Taken: 12
OAT Trips Taken: 4
Countries Visited:

Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

Traveler Since: 2002

February 10, 2012

This is a change to the Good Buy Plan that we were not aware of until now. It used to state that, you would be given credit for any price reductions that were advertised more than 60 days before departure date, thereby excluding Last Minute Specials. We have frequently used the Good Buy Plan. We will have to reconsider this in the future. It may still make sense, based on the discount received and the protection from price increases

Author: captainlarry

GCT Trips Taken: 10
OAT Trips Taken: 0

February 10, 2012

I owe an appology to all. I can blame it on a faulty memory. What actually happened was that I had booked and paid, with electronic funds transfer, for a trip that was later advertised at a reduced price. I was allowed to cancel my reservation and rebook at the lower price by paying the "cancellation fee". As I now recall, the difference in price was on the order of $400 per person and the cancellation fee was about $100 per person. So instead of receiving the full $800 refund, I got back $600. The transaction was far enough in advance of the trip that the cancellation fee was that relatively small amount.  So the $600 refund part was correct, but it was not a "full" refund of the difference. I'm sorry that I inadvertently misled you, and I hope that this post will correct my previous error.

That admission off my chest, I still maintain that the "low price guarantee" should apply to subsequent reductions in GCT's own pricing as well as prices offered by other companies.

As I recall, and you can see how dangerous that is, the threshhold for relatively cheap cancellation is 70 days before departure. If you are outside that window, then cancellation and rebooking is an option to be considered.

Author: jayge

GCT Trips Taken: 11
Traveler Since: 2004

February 11, 2012

I spoke to a representative yesterday 2/10/2012 and asked what their cancellation fee is.  She said $300 per person.  The reason I asked was reading on this Travel Forum that someone had cancelled their trip and paid $100 cancellation fee so he could rebook under a lowered price.  She said no way would the cancellation fee be less than the $300 per person.

Does anyone have a personal experience regarding seeing their "fully booked and paid for" trip at a lower price than he or she paid with an early booking and were successful in getting a lower price?

I always book early because the cabin location I want.. "Serenade".. deck fills up quickly as there are so few.  Also, the vacation dates are not always what I want.

Author: nytony

Traveler Since: 2003

February 11, 2012

I agree about not booking early EXCEPT if you are not flexible with your dates or if you want a particular cabin on a river boat. . I was recently on the Rhine and Mosel cruise and we booked early because three couples were traveling together and we needed specific dates. The price did drop slightly before the cruise.

Author: pauline

Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

February 11, 2012

I've always booked early.  When I traveled with a friend on a river cruise, we booked early to make sure we got the cabin we wanted on the dates we wanted.  Now that I travel solo, I book early because the number of solo travelers on each trip is limited.  I've never experienced a trip being discounted after I'd booked.  Maybe if it happened to me, I'd feel differently about it.

Author: janice!

GCT Trips Taken: 7

February 11, 2012

In 2004, the fee for cancellation 71 days or more before departure was $125.  (Can you tell I need to clean out my files?)  There probably was a time when it was $100.

Author: porkchop55

GCT Trips Taken: 6
OAT Trips Taken: 5
Countries Visited:

Vietnam, Cambodia, Great Britain, Israel, Italy, Spain, Turkey, France, Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland, Tunisia, China, Peru, Canada, Japan, Philippines, Thailand, Fiji, American Samoa, Australia, Taiwan, Singapore, South Korea

Traveler Since: 2004

February 13, 2012

In 2011 I booked an OAT trip and the price dropped by  $400 per person.  I called and after talking to his supervisor the booking agent agreed to refund to me $100 off per person without canceling the trip and rebooking.  What they did was take the $400 price difference and subtract the $300 cancelation fee and refunded the $100 difference.  He also told me that you can cancel within 30 days without a cancelation fee.

OAT now has the Lowest Price Guarantee so this wouldn’t happen today.  The trip I booked for April 2012 went up by $100 per person after I had paid so you can’t be sure you will save by waiting to book.  

Author: rosemarynj

GCT Trips Taken: 4
OAT Trips Taken: 1
Traveler Since: 2010

February 28, 2012

nanaandpapa,

No the Good Buy Plan of price changes honored if before 60 days of trip is no longer the case.  I booked in October and when I checked in February the price had gone down below what I paid even with using Good Buy and my credits and my trip was more than 3 months from departure.  I would never book on GC early again.  They have had all my money since November 4th and the price went down and still they will not honor the lower price.  OAT does have a policy for giving the traveler the lowest price offered but not GC.

Author: captainlarry

February 29, 2012

Many of you have heard of Lombardi Time (from Vince Lombardi, the football coach): "If you're not 15 minutes early, you're late!" My First Mate says that applies to me, whether I'm catching a plane, meeting a friend, going to a meeting or a service at church, or anything else I'm involved with. I guess it is either genetic or early childhood learning, because my father's expression was: "I'd rather be a half-hour early than one minute late."

I have another saying: "If you're going to be successfully spontaneous, you have to rehearse it well." I can tolerate changes which I could not foresee or over which I have no control. What I can't tolerate is being surprised by something that I reasonably should have seen coming. And for me to make a decision on a trip I want to take only to find out it is sold out because I waited to book it would be intolerable to me. Obviously everyone does not feel that way. I pay the price financially rather than psychologically for my foible. Let's make a deal -- I won't try to change you if you won't try to change me.

Author: singsling

Traveler Since: 1995

April 04, 2012

I agree with most of  you that it would be "nice" if GCT would refund to us who pay early for the best dates/cabins, but they don't.  I think it is twice the paperwork to cancel and rebook than to just give  us the money back.  But, just think a minute.  If I go to an appiiance store to buy a washer and dryer at a cost of over $1,500, and the sales person does not tell me there is going to be a sale on that model or another model set, I am out of luck if they go on sale  a few days later UNLESS, the store has a refund policy "if purchased within the last 30 days." 

But, I just reviewed  a trip for 2013 and the information is clear, if you purchase this tour and there is a price reduction before 60 days of departure you will be refunded the difference..  Pays to keep this information handy in case prices are lowered at a later date; gives you a chance to negotiate a refund. 

Author: nancyf

GCT Trips Taken: 5
OAT Trips Taken: 2
Countries Visited:

43 of the 50 United States, including Hawaii and Alaska, England , France , Italy , Spain, Germany, Netherlands, Africa (Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe. South Africa), Israel, Canada, the Carribbean, Peru, going to Egypt & Jordan in February 2011 ( canceled due to the unrest there, but I will take this trip later!), China, Russia, Kenya, Turkey, Greece, Malta, Sicily.

Traveler Since: 2007

April 05, 2012

@ Captain Larry:  I agree with you on the booking early for a trip/dates that I want. I like saving money with the rest of everyone, but if there is a trip that I really want to take, and at a particular time of year, I just feel better getting it booked and not "worry" about the money! (well, you know what I mean).

@ slingsing:  Where did you see the preview of the 2013 trips? I would like to start looking at those!! And dreaming and "scheming"!!  :)

Author: debi

GCT Trips Taken: 1
OAT Trips Taken: 4
Countries Visited:

I have been to Africa Tanzania Safari, I video taped it and watch it over and over and its just like being there. I went to Costa Rica and my video camera captures all the sights and sounds you can;t get with a picture. I loved it. I have been to Greece and England. Hawaii, Nevis, St Thomas, St Maarteen, Heart of India

Traveler Since: 2008

April 05, 2012

I noticed only a few trips were posted for 2013. I want to check out dates for the Australia New Zealand and Figi trip for next xmas but they have not posted that yet. They told me those dates will be posted in late May or June

Author: pauline

Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

April 05, 2012

The river cruises have been listed, at least some of them.  I have already booked the Paris to Normandy cruise for July of 2013.  I was torn between the Romance of the Rhine & Mosel and the Seine trip.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.