Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: jmoskow

GCT Trips Taken: 2
OAT Trips Taken: 3
Traveler Since: 2010

February 08, 2012

I booked and Paid for a Rhine and Mosel cruise and paid the posted $1145 single supplement.  Two weeks ago I received a Grand Circle Brochure stating that all 2012 cruises (page 33) would have NO single supplement.  Despite numerous call and emails all I got was an answer that I would be given $495 in credit.  No answer why not the full $1145 or how anyone came up with a figure of $495.

Grance Circle is penalizing those who book and pay early.  Anyone, especially singles would be ill advised to book and pay early.  Not a great way to deal with customers.

Author: captainlarry

GCT Trips Taken: 10
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Traveler Since: 2002

February 09, 2012

I hope by now your situation has been resolved to your satisfaction. But based on your initial post, one of us is misreading the literature. I do not see the single supplement being eliminated but rather reduced to $695. The single supplement on extensions is free. If you paid $1,145 and are being offered a credit of $495, then that means you will be paying only $650 for your single supplement, $45 less than the currently stated price.

Again, I do not know all of the details of your situation and I may be misinterpreting something, but that is my interpretation.

Author: luisa

GCT Trips Taken: 6
OAT Trips Taken: 2
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji. Ireland

Traveler Since: 2006

February 09, 2012

According to this web site, there is no single supplement on this trip. I hate it when they do this. I got stuck for a single supplement on a land trip a week or two before they changed the policy. No adjustment for me so paid more than other singles on the trip who had waited to reserve. I like the OAT/GCT trips but not the price shuffles.

They should give you credit for $1145, but the 2012 "new" price adjustment policy applies to land trips. Good luck.

Single Supplements—save $1145

Learn about how Grand Circle offers the best value for solo travelers, guaranteed, including FREE Single Supplements on this river cruise.

Author: pauline

GCT Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

February 09, 2012

I just checked the website again, and it definitely says "save $1145."  So that's what the reimbursement should be, in my opinion.  I hope GCT re-thinks this.

February 09, 2012

OK. This time I saw the announcement you are quoting. I did not see that before. What I was referring to was in the "Competitive Advantage" chart where if specifically says:

Cruise Single Supplement: $695. FREE Single Supplement on optional extensions

So there is an inconsistency between pages of the web site. But based on what Pauline pointed out, added to the "low price guarantee" I would think that the full refund should be offered. To me, the low price guarantee should apply to GCT's own price changes as well as that offered by competitive companies.

To offer a precedent: A few years ago I saw a tour that I had already paid for being offered by GCT for $600 less than what I paid. I requested and was given a $600 refund. I received, not a credit, but an actual funds transfer to my checking account to offset the electronic funds transfer I had used for the payment.

I'm sure that "legal" arguments could be made that our cases were not the same, but it would seem to me that the "ethical" arguments would support the refund.

Author: rosemarynj

GCT Trips Taken: 4
OAT Trips Taken: 1
Traveler Since: 2010

February 10, 2012

Captainlarry, how did you manage to get the refund for a trip that was discounted?  I booked the Australia, NZ and Fiji back in October at the price of $16615.88 with the insurance for a May 29th departure.  The trip is now published on the GC website for $15,800.  I sent an e-mail to ask for a refund of the $815.88 as that is the difference from the present price and what I paid. They have had my money since the beginningof November as I did the direct payment through my checking account.  I am wondering how Captainlarry received the refund deposited back in his checking account when the same situation happen to him.   I received an e-mail back from Jenna Bickford at GCT that they do not honor price deductions.  Only OAT honors price deductions and that the  $15,800 is for new bookings only.  I think this extrememly unfair.  I am being penalized for booking early just like the original poster is for the Solo Passenger.  I might be able to understand if this was a Last Minute discount but not 4 months in advance of the trip.  I am extremely disappointed in GC.  I am hoping they will reconsider.

Author: luisa

GCT Trips Taken: 6
OAT Trips Taken: 2
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji. Ireland

Traveler Since: 2006

February 10, 2012

I don't understand it either. There was another thread last year about refunds after trip discounts and some people got them and some didn't. I agree it is discouraging.

Author: janice!

GCT Trips Taken: 7
Traveler Since: 1999

February 10, 2012

My understanding of Captainlarry's last post is that he had booked the trip with another company, not GCT. When he saw that GCT had the same trip for a lower price, the other company gave him a refund. Perhaps, he will post again to clarify the situation. In any case, giving refunds to people who have paid in full before a discount seems to be a mixed bag among companies in the travel industry and else where.

Also, there is another recent post about a refund not being issued when the base price of a trip was reduced. So, this situation does not just affect single travelers.

February 10, 2012

OK. I posted this on another thread, but I had better post it here as well. What I reported about my refund was slightly in error, and I appologize for that. I had booked and paid for, with an electronic funds transfer, a GCT trip that was later advertised at a lower price. When I requested an adjustment for the $400 per person reduction, I was offered the option of cancelling and rebooking. The cancellation fee was $100 per person. We were still outside the 70 day before departure window. So I exercised that option and received a refund of $600.

So the $600 refund was accurate but was not accomplished the way I said in my previous post. I'm sorry if I misled you on that detail. If you have not yet passed the "final payment" date, you might consider paying the cancellation fee and rebooking to get the lower price.

Author: nanicrovo

GCT Trips Taken: 3
Countries Visited:

China (Hong Kong, Macoa, Quelim) (Bejing, Shoochow, Shanghai), GCT river boat cruise from Vienna to Amsterdam, Alask, Mexico

Traveler Since: 2003

September 01, 2012

I don't know how to post a message and can't find any instructions, but I want to thank all the members of the Aug.4 Tuscany and the Amalfi Coast tour for being so kind, helpful and considerate of me. It was a very hard tour, difficult for me and  the tour guides graciously adapted to my limitations when possible and  my travel companions assisted me whenever possible. Had I known in advance how hard a tour it was I probably wouldn't have taken it, but none the less am pleased that I was able to tour Italy. Thanks again to everyone! SCrovo

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.