Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: tempel123

GCT Trips Taken: 1
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Traveler Since: 2008

January 26, 2012

After referring four new travellers to GCT, I am being told that I am not to receive the $200 per new traveller as advertised on GCT's  website.  Take a look at the webpage www.gct.com/Ways-to-Save/Refer-And-Earn.aspx and see what it says.  It is clear to me that referring 4-7 new travellers is worth $200 per traveller - not that travellers 1-3 are $100 each and then the 4th is $200.  Any comments from members or management? 

Author: pauline

GCT Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

January 26, 2012

I just looked at the page by clicking on the link you give, and it's quite specific.  $100 for each for the first three referrals, and $200 each for referrals four through seven.

Author: nanaandpapa

GCT Trips Taken: 12
OAT Trips Taken: 4
Countries Visited:

Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

Traveler Since: 2002

January 26, 2012

As someone who has had many referrals, I always understood correctly the amount that I was due. I do agree that the way this is worded does allow some room for misinterpretation, but, it is not a case of misrpresentation. Perhaps GCT/OAT should change the wording to eliminate the possibility of misinterpretation.

Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

January 26, 2012

Sorry, I don't see any room for misunderstanding.  There are three columns.  The first lists the number of travelers referred  -  1-3, 4-7, 8.  The next column lists the award amounts  for each traveler referred  -  $100, $200, $4,000 plus.  The last column lists the totals.  So if someone referred two travelers, the award would be $200.  If someone referred four travelers, the award would be $800.  Etc. 

What's not to understand?

Countries Visited:

January 26, 2012

I did think $800 looked wrong.  But I've never pretended to be any good at math.  It's a miracle I managed to get through all those years of school and pick up two degrees. 

Author: luisa

GCT Trips Taken: 6
OAT Trips Taken: 2
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji. Ireland

Traveler Since: 2006

January 27, 2012

I don't understand how the chart could be misinterpreted. Referrals 1-3 earn $100, 4-7 earn $200. So, if four are referred the total is $500. That's $200 for the fourth and $100 each for the first three.

If seven are referred, it would be $300 for the first three and $800 for the next four = $1,100.

Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji. Ireland

January 27, 2012

Okay, I took another look at the link and see where the confusion lies. In the text "It's rewarding" the wording should be changed from something like Refer 4-7 travelers and earn $200 each. It should read Beginning with the fourth traveler earn $200, etc.

Author: suepoor1234

GCT Trips Taken: 0
OAT Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

All the states except Hawaii; east and west Canada, all of Western Europe(except Iceland and Greenland); the Baltics and Scandanavia; Belarus, Poland, Ukraine; Russia; Turkey, Jordan and Israel; China, Mongolia, and Tibet; Egypt, Morocco, Tanzania; Mexico, Costa Rica, Guatamala, El Salvador; Ecuador, Galapagos Islands, Peru, Argentina; Australia and New Zealand; Antarctica.

Traveler Since: 2007

January 27, 2012

Communication can sometimes be similar to an illustration where if you look at it one way, you see a vase; if you look again, you see two faces looking at one another.  I can understand where tempel123 misinterpreted the information.  As a technical writer, I have spent years studying how communications can be interpreted/misinterpreted and making sure that my clients' communications come across the way they are meant.  The word "Number" in the first column is where the basic problem starts.  The meaning could be made more clear in a number of different ways; for instance, reorienting the charts and using the words "Each of the First Three Passengers" in the first column; "Each of the Next Three Passengers" in the next column; etc., as well as some other methods.  However, the easiest way is for travelers to read the entire chart and then check with OAT/GCT concerning the amounts.  This misunderstanding aside, how was the adventure?  Hope this didn't sour you on the trip itself.

Author: janice!

GCT Trips Taken: 7

January 27, 2012

I agree wiith those who have said the description is easily misinterpreted and I suspect this might be intentional to make the program appear more lucrative than it actually is. If you look carefully at all three columns of the chart, you can see that you would get $500 for four referrals. However, when you read the statement "Refer 4-7 travelers and you earn $200 per person", how could you not think that you would get $800 for four referrals?

Countries Visited:

January 27, 2012

Janice, I really can't blame GCT's website for my lack of math skills.  It's the kind of mistake I frequently make, although not in front of so many people.

Pauline

Author: oatadmin

January 27, 2012

Hello All -

Based on your discussion here, we can see that we need to be a little clearer about how the Vacation Ambassador bonuses are distributed.  We are currently revising the web page so that it is easier to understand.

Kind Regards,

Michelle

GCT Forum Moderator

Author: nanaandpapa

GCT Trips Taken: 12
OAT Trips Taken: 4
Countries Visited:

Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

January 27, 2012

Thanks for the response.

Countries Visited:

January 28, 2012

Good for GCT. A prompt reply and a willingness to rewrite for clarity.

Pauline, it wasn't your post that Janice was referring to, it's the text below the chart (which is clear) that reads 4-7 referrals earn $200 that could lead someone who had not read the chart to think four referrals would earn $800.

Author: tempel123

GCT Trips Taken: 1
Traveler Since: 2008

January 30, 2012

I enjoyed the spirited discussion on how to interpret what was written and what was meant.  However - Writing "Refer 4 - 7 travelers and you earn $200.00 per person" cannot be interpreted any other way.  I believe GCT owes me $800.00 for the four new travelers - and then GCT should re-write thier intention. 

Author: captainlarry

GCT Trips Taken: 10

January 30, 2012

Yes, the notice can (and should) be more clearly worded. However, you cannot take one line out of context and demand that your interpretation of that line be used when it is clearly at odds with the rest of the notice. The chart at the beginning of the article is, to me, very clear that only the fourth and subsequent referrals will be compensated at $200 each.

Author: janice!

GCT Trips Taken: 7

January 30, 2012

If temple123 wants to pursue it with GCT, I say go for it. She or he might end of talking to a GCT agent who is feeling generous. My motto in cases like this is "nothing ventured, nothing gained."

Author: grandcircle

January 30, 2012

Hello All -

Based on your discussion, we have updated our Vacation Ambassador grid to be clearer about the tiers of compensation for referrals:

http://www.gct.com/Ways-to-Save/Refer-And-Earn.aspx

Again, thank you for your feedback.

Kind Regards,

Michelle

GCT Forum Moderator

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.