Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: polshan

GCT Trips Taken: 0
OAT Trips Taken: 0

January 08, 2012

Hello,

I'll be traveling to Helsinki , Finland in late April (approx April 21-28) for one week for business (I'll be flying from Boston, MA). I was hoping to take a short (2-4 day) side trip to St. Petersburg, Russia during this time.

I'm a single, female traveler, and was looking for an English speaking-guided tour to view sites, assist with a visa (if nec?), hotel, etc. I can book my rt air for business (going to Helsinki) - and was looking for costs for a tour with and w/out extra travel costs.

Please advise if you can assist with this trip!

Thanks! Patricia

Author: cdoyle5641

GCT Trips Taken: 0
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Countries Visited:

I usually travel alone or with family, but it is now time to give GCT a try. My only son and his beloved wife live in central England, so I usually go there once a year. Have seen Ireland, England, some of France, Germany and Switzerland. Have done lots of cruises and been to Hong Kong (my fav) 6 times. Am doing Scotland and Wales on a driving trip with the kids this fall, but it's time to get to Italy next year. Hope to see you soon.

January 08, 2012

Patricia,

If I were planning a short trip to St. Perersburg, I would check first on the Trip Advisor website forum for that city.  www.tripadvisor.com    You can check previous posts for answers to similar questions - if you find none that help, post your own questions.  I have found that it is the best place to get honest answers about specific cities...hotels, private guides, visas, weather, reataurants...pretty much any information you need.  Have a lovely trip.

Cheryl

Author: gobuckeyes

GCT Trips Taken: 4
OAT Trips Taken: 9
Traveler Since: 2005

January 08, 2012

FWIW, I've been on tours with these two companies (link below) in St Petersburg; both tours were very good. My visits there were by cruise ship, etc.  These companies are highly recommended by many other people on the Cruise Critic bulletin board..

http://www.alla-tour.com/tours/

http://www.redoctober.us/index.htm

Anyway they may give you an idea of what you could expect to see and what the cost would be, etc. Needless to say, the more people in the group the smaller the per person cost.

Author: gaynell

GCT Trips Taken: 4
OAT Trips Taken: 8
Traveler Since: 2005

January 09, 2012

St. Petersburg is such a wonderful city; it is definitely worth the effort , if you can make the arrangements you need .  I think it rivals Paris in beauty.  If you are going to do it, you will have to plan ahead, since getting a Russian visa is not particularly cheap and is fairly complicated. Go ahead and send for the visa right now, as soon as you have partial arrangements made,  and on the forms give  the broadest possible range of dates that you might travel, in case your plans have to be changed.  Plan as many days for the city as you can possibly arrange; five or six would not be too many, two or three would certainly be too few. 

You should check the itinerary for GCT's Russia Revealed trip to give you an idea of some of the things you might want to see in St. Petersburg.  Plan a day for an out of town one day excursion to Peterhof, a day  (not consecutive) for another out of town excursion to Catherine's palace, and a full day  (or, even better, two half days) at the Hermitage, if you can. Plan on a short trip on the canals, a visit to Yusupov Palace, a visit to the old fort , visit  the top cathedrals, and perhaps a basic city tour. Remember that, as far north as it is, St. Petersburg will still be fairly cool in April, and you will probably have some rain. Early bulbs will be blooming in the palace gardens if you are lucky.  It will be a wonderful visit for you, in a very special city.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.