Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: nebulamoon

GCT Trips Taken: 0
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Countries Visited:

Alaska, Hawaii, 48 of the USA States, Bahamas, St. Thomas, St. John, Grand Cayman, Canada (including the Yukon), Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, Dominica Republic, Haiti, St. Kitts, St. Martin, and St. St. Lucia. Expanding to Europe during the Christmas holiday 2012 via GCT :-)

January 02, 2012

Hello...I have never taken a GCT cruise before.  We are booked for our 1st trip "Christmas on the Rhine 2012.".  I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on the idea of bring a gift for each cabin & Crew Member.  We have been thinking about giving a small gift & Card to the GTC Staff upon boarding so they can place them in our fellow cruisers cabins.  We love Christmas and thought it would be a nice thought.  Thoughts?

Thanks So Much For Taking The Time To Respond,

Heather

Author: pauline

GCT Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

January 02, 2012

I agree.  I do not observe Christmas and, although I'm pleased when I receive cards from friends because they are expressing holiday greetings and the cards are seasonal, I might feel offended if I received them from strangers.  After all, it is a religious holiday.

Author: luisa

GCT Trips Taken: 6
OAT Trips Taken: 2
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji. Ireland

Traveler Since: 2006

January 03, 2012

Love Ed's pun.

I admire your intentions, but agree with Ed and Pauline, I think it might be burden on a crew that already had enough work. It would be the crew, not GCT staff, who would have to distribute the cards. I also think some travelers may be uncomfortable and/or feel the need to reciprocate. I don't know how many people would be on the ship either, if it's 100 or more, you'd be divided into groups and may never meet everyone.

However, giving a holiday card to your trip leader when arriving is not a bad idea.

Happy New Year.

Author: nebulamoon

GCT Trips Taken: 0
Countries Visited:

Alaska, Hawaii, 48 of the USA States, Bahamas, St. Thomas, St. John, Grand Cayman, Canada (including the Yukon), Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, Dominica Republic, Haiti, St. Kitts, St. Martin, and St. St. Lucia. Expanding to Europe during the Christmas holiday 2012 via GCT :-)

January 07, 2012

This was my 1st GCT post and I guess I never thought it all through.  I meant well in my question.  However, it makes me sad & feel really bad to be linked to some of the replies.  They felt a little harsh & negative, note I was only asking.  Maybe it's just me but I felt more comfortable removing my question as I was just excited about my 1st Holiday Trip.  I thought share...I never ever wanted to make someone or lets say an entire ship feel uncomfortable & awkward toward me, which is why I posted my idea here almost 355 days before the cruise.  

I think I'll just read posts for a while and if I have questions I'll call customer support.   

Thanks.

Author: nancyf

GCT Trips Taken: 5
Countries Visited:

43 of the 50 United States, including Hawaii and Alaska, England , France , Italy , Spain, Germany, Netherlands, Africa (Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe. South Africa), Israel, Canada, the Carribbean, Peru, going to Egypt & Jordan in February 2011 ( canceled due to the unrest there, but I will take this trip later!), China, Russia, Kenya, Turkey, Greece, Malta, Sicily.

Traveler Since: 2007

January 07, 2012

@nebulamoon-- I didn't write on this posting before now, and I am sorry that you felt sad about the other replies. I sometimes see (and not necessarily referring to this posting) some rather smug postings by long-time travelers. It's one thing to have a different opinion. It's a whole other thing to make the original poster feel bad. I experienced this recently myself on a posting. Hopefully some of these people will "see themselves" in that and write their opinion or information, without as much seemingly "attacking" the person who wrote it.

I think that your question was a legitimate one and a very caring/sharing one. Once you go on one of these cruises, you will see that it might not have worked out as you had envisioned it. I went on one river cruise in France that only had about 44 people on board, but the Russia Revealed one recently taken had over 200 people on board. Granted, we were split into different groups of about 35 or so each. But my advice would be to go on one, see how it all "works", and then decide for the next time what you might want to do. And please don't think that all GCT travelers are negative. There are many delightful travelers that I have met on my trips.

Happy Traveling to you!

Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji. Ireland

January 07, 2012

Nebulamoon,

I'm sorry that you felt sad about the responses to your question. I don't think anyone intended to make you feel bad. You asked a question and I think we all answered honestly.

Once again, I thought your intentions are generous and admirable, but I tried to point out the practicalities of traveling with a group of people that you don't know, and the possible responses. I know that when I get an unexpected card from someone I feel the need to return the gesture. 

Nancy's suggestion to take the cruise first to see how it (crew, trip leaders) works is good. GCT staff do not have access to passenger's cabins and the crew may or may not have time for extra assignments.

And once again, I think that giving a card to the trip leader would be a nice gesture and not make him/her uncomfortable.

I hope your cruise is great success.

Author: hootie

GCT Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

China, Austria, Germany, Hungary, Slovakia, Poland, Serbia, Croatia, Romania, Transylvania, Bulgaria, Chech Republic, Slavakia, Bratislava, Egypt, Israel, Cyprus, Crete, Greece, Turkey, Istanbul, Italy, England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Estonia, Russia, Tahiti & French Polynesia/Society Islands, Hawaiian Islands, Bermuda, Alaska, Costa Rica, Mexico, United States, Panama Canal, Caribbean (extensively), Canada/Nova Scotia, Canary Islands, Gibralter, Spain, Portugal, Morocco, Vatican City, France, Holland, Belgium, Tasmania, Australia, New Zealand, Ukraine, Russia.

Traveler Since: 2001

January 07, 2012

nebulamoon...

Please don't give up writting posts if you have a question...chances are someone else has had the same question or similar.  The only way to find out is to ask.  That's why I find this forum so useful. 

When I go on a trip, I have questions...lots of them...some even sound silly to me, but I want to know & it's better to find out from people who have actually been to the locations than to ask a GC call taker.  They can answer some of your basic trip questions about payment & itinerary which you can read yourself in their brochures & website.  Your question was one better answered by fellow travelers.  I hadn't thought of some of the reasons posted.  And I'm sure no one intentionally meant to cause hurt feelings.  We are all here to share our experiences and learn from others.

We have been on trips where our program director has passed out candy/treats while we are on the bus with our "color" group.  On at least 2 trips, we've experienced fellow passengers who have bought a local candy and passed it around the bus.  This was always done a few days into the trip, after getting to know the group better.  This is NOT something ordinarily done.  I do not advise you to offer the absolutely delicious original recipe McDonalds french fries in Moscow to fellow travelers because YOU will end up with very little!  I know what of I speak...

You will find hard candy available 24/7 at the reception desk on each riverboat.  Grab a handful & enjoy.

We usually take a gift to give our program director (in addition to their tip).  Something from our state...t-shirt, hat, pin, postcard, scarf (if you know male/female in advance).  You don't want it to be too big as they travel around alot & have limited space.  Just a thought.

You will love your christmas trip...it is truly magical.

My husband & I did the Christmas Markets along the Rhine in Dec. 2010.  (We've also done the Danube Christmas Markets... twice.) 

Author: jayge

Traveler Since: 2004

January 08, 2012

To Nebulamoon,

Please do not stop posting.  I love to read all the posts daily and sometimes I reply to them.

It is a great way to find out about the various trips.  We have traveled with Grand Circle on 8 rivercruises and find the people (travelers) and Program Directors, crews and everyone else involved are just delightful people.

My husband and I have not  taken the winter river cruises and would love to hear about them from you.  Please post!

Jayge

Author: ronackermann

GCT Trips Taken: 3
Traveler Since: 2008

January 10, 2012

To Nebulamoon,

While I would not ask the crew to distribute the cards/gifts, there is no reason you couldn't take along cards/gifts and give them out yourself. When you first get on the ship you won't know anyone, and they won't know you, but by the time you reach the end of you're cruise you'll have made many new friends and I'm sure they would love to get a small remembrance of you.

The people who felt your other cruise companions might be offended didn't seem to notice that you were doing a CHRISTMAS MARKETS cruise (which I'm sure you'll love). If any of your fellow passengers are offended they probably shouldn't be on the cruise in the first place. We have done three Christmas Market cruises and they all have been wonderful

Don't hold back from posting because of a few less-than-polite responses. Most of the posters are very polite and happy to help - the ones that have to be snarky "are what they are".

Remember, there are no stupid questions - there are sometimes however rude and stupid answers.

Author: pauline

Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

January 10, 2012

Heather, I'm sorry if you were hurt by my honest response to your question.  I didn't mean to do so.  I don't think any of us meant to hurt your feelings.  You asked, and we answered.

I was on a river cruise once where one traveler busied himself with making things from paper.  I guess you could call it a type of origami.  He made flowers which he handed out to everyone and little boxes for those who wanted them.  The flowers were made so that we could attach them to our name tags.  His wife, who never took any of the shore excursions, spent time crocheting and tatting.  When one of the bartenders announced that his sister had just had a baby, she gave him a little baby cap she had just made.  But those instances were well into the trip when we all got to know each other.

And I'd hate to feel that I wouldn't be welcome on a Christmas Markets river trip.

Countries Visited:

January 11, 2012

Pauline,

I'm sure that you'd be welcome on any cruise. To suggest that a Christmas Markets cruise would be limited to Christians is absurd. There's much more to the cruises than Christmas celebrations.

Author: hootie

GCT Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

China, Austria, Germany, Hungary, Slovakia, Poland, Serbia, Croatia, Romania, Transylvania, Bulgaria, Chech Republic, Slavakia, Bratislava, Egypt, Israel, Cyprus, Crete, Greece, Turkey, Istanbul, Italy, England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Estonia, Russia, Tahiti & French Polynesia/Society Islands, Hawaiian Islands, Bermuda, Alaska, Costa Rica, Mexico, United States, Panama Canal, Caribbean (extensively), Canada/Nova Scotia, Canary Islands, Gibralter, Spain, Portugal, Morocco, Vatican City, France, Holland, Belgium, Tasmania, Australia, New Zealand, Ukraine, Russia.

Traveler Since: 2001

January 12, 2012

wattsed...

Please count to 200 if necessary and reconsider. 

I see you have only traveled with GC twice but your traveling experience is great and can be useful to others.  At least I think so.  Alot of travelers "view" the postings, but don't write.  I usually read this forum daily & answer posts if I think I have anything to share/contribute.  There are only a few posters who's names come up regularly in responses.  I think this forum is about sharing (info, our experiences, opinions) and it would be it's loss to lose any contributor, whether we agreed with them or not.

Of course, this is only MY 2 cents worth!

Countries Visited:

January 12, 2012

I agree with Hootie.

Wattsed, please don't stop posting on the site because of a couple of posters. I understand quitting this thread (the topic's been covered here), but Ive seen several of your posts on other threads (Turkey, Antarctica) and know they've been helpful to many travelers.

Author: kba

Traveler Since: 2009

January 13, 2012

Wattsed, I agree with Hootie and Luisa.  I read the forum daily and your posts have been very informative.  You are well travelled and have so much to add.  I am sorry you had to be subjected to such unpleasant responses.  Please keep reading and posting.  I am doing the Paris to Normandy cruise in September and then going on to Mt. St. Michael.  Have you travelled there? 

Author: nanaandpapa

GCT Trips Taken: 12
OAT Trips Taken: 4
Countries Visited:

Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

Traveler Since: 2002

January 13, 2012

kimarmondo

We are taking the Paris to Normandy trip, with the pre-trip to Paris and post-trip to Britanny and Saint Michel, in March. The time is coming closer, and we are getting very excetied. We will be posting a detailed review of the trip when we return.

Jack and Ann

Author: kba

Traveler Since: 2009

January 15, 2012

Wow...your trip is just around the corner.  I can hardly wait to hear about it.   I am hoping the boat is docked near something interesting.  I am not familiar with the port.  Exploring the little, back-corner, places is one of my favorites. 

Author: ronackermann

GCT Trips Taken: 3
Traveler Since: 2008

January 17, 2012

@Pauline,

I wasn't implying that you wouldn't be welcome on a Christmas Markets cruise - I was saying that if you were offended by receiving a Christmas card/gift while on the cruise that it might not be the right cruise for you. There is quite a lot of Christmas celebration on these cruises and it sounded like it might make you uncomfortable.

I would not be offended to receive a card/gift for Ramadan, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, or any other group's significant celebratory day, and in fact have received several. If the well wishes are genuine (whether of a religious or secular nature) I'm not offended.

But as wattsed himself noted "An individual will always have to remember that to be offended you have to give your personal permission first!"

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.