Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: grammyflo

Trips Taken: 13
Traveler Since: 2002

July 12, 2012

Just reading a review from a generous traveller to Russia.  Seems there is a Traditional Russian night aboard ship and you are asked to come up with a 'disguise' or 'costume' traditionally Russian. 

Has anyone done this? Any ideas?  I am not very creative or inventive.

Author: pauline

Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

July 12, 2012

Are you sure?  That doesn't seem like a GCT thing.  More like summer camp.  The closest I can come is that the people who had taken the Russian alphabet lessons and learned a few songs took part in an entertainment towards the end of the trip.  The thing that sticks in my mind about that night is a skit that some of the PDs and a few crew did that was a take-off on Cinderella.  It was so funny we were all laughing our heads off, and the tears were streaming down my cheeks.

Author: nanaandpapa

Trips Taken: 15
Countries Visited:

Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

July 12, 2012

We had similar activities on Egypt and the Nile and The Seine:  Paris to Normandy. We did not do it on Russia Revealed. Maybe it depends on the Program Director(s).

Jack

Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

July 12, 2012

I just remembered that on the Grand European Rivers cruise in 2006, we did have an evening performance that different travelers who had talent (or thought they did) entertained us all.  Some of it was very good.  Some of it was embarrassing.  And we ended up with a conga line all around the big lounge of the Aria.

Author: avalarue

Trips Taken: 8
Traveler Since: 2008

July 12, 2012

We had Russian Night on our trip last September. I remember that we were asked to wear something we had purchased that day in one of the villages. All who did were given a tiny bottle of vodka. Some people wore a hat or scarf they had purchased, things like that.

July 17, 2012

We have just received a lovely email from our Program Director, Maria.

Getting pretty excited about the trip. Beginning to pack and frankly, this is driving me crazy.

Author: debi

Trips Taken: 5
Countries Visited:

I have been to Africa Tanzania Safari, I video taped it and watch it over and over and its just like being there. I went to Costa Rica and my video camera captures all the sights and sounds you can;t get with a picture. I loved it. I have been to Greece and England. Hawaii, Nevis, St Thomas, St Maarteen, Heart of India

Traveler Since: 2008

July 17, 2012

grammyflo

I just returned from the Russia trip and had Maria as my program director. You will love her and have a good time for sure. When are you leaving?  debi

Author: sharonjean

Traveler Since: 2006

July 17, 2012

We will be on the Russia Revealed trip leaving on August 23 and are in the process of finding a one-day Jewish tour in both Moscow and in St. Petersburg.  (I know there is a half day in Moscow but we wanted more in-depth).  Don't know prices yet but if you are interested in joining me, please email directly to SharonKnoppow@comcast.net.

Author: rondy

Trips Taken: 7

August 11, 2012

I have enjoyed reading all these posts and have been taking notes for our up-coming Sept. trip.  We will be doing the Kiev, Ukraine pre-trip.  Has anyone taken this pre-post trip?  We are trying to decide whether to do the optional Open Air Museum of Folk and Architectural Lifestyle.  Is this museum worth the time?  Our other option is to stay in Kiev and tour around on our own.  I want to be able to go to the markets mentioned here on the posts.  Does anyone have a suggestion?

August 11, 2012

debi = just got home yesterday from Russia. You were right - Maria was terrific.

It was a wonderful and educational trip.

Author: pegheeter1

Trips Taken: 12
Traveler Since: 2001

August 11, 2012

Especially for rondi -

We took Kiev as a post trip and thought it outstanding - certainly equal to either the Moscow or St Petersburg experience. Just a bit different -

We chose not to do the open air museum trip, largely because other tours which have had similar optionals, have been disappointing for us.  Almost everyone else went - I think that perhaps only seven or eight of the thirty five post-trippers did not go on the optional.  Those who did go seemed to have enjoyed it.  But ---- we thoroughly enjoyed a free day to walk and stop in all sorts of places and see all sorts of things.  Kiev is very walkable and you can, if you like to walk, cover all the major sites by foot quite easily.  We didn't go to the market, but others did.  We saw several churches, monuments, especially the huge WWII statue/museum.

Hope this helps - enjoy a great trip.  We hope to do the Kiev to Odessa trip one day - a chance to see more of this area of the world. 

Author: kathleencs

Trips Taken: 8
Traveler Since: 2010

August 18, 2012

We are trying to find out if the river ship has free WiFi? In reading the reviews some say yes and some say no. Would appreciate any info.

Countries Visited:

August 18, 2012

At the time I took the trip, which was two years ago this month, there was no Wi-Fi on the ship.  There were two computers in the library which could connect to the Internet, but not all the time.  You got a password from the concierge desk and the charges went on your cabin charge.  As I remember, they were quite reasonable for the little bit I used.  As I said, connection was sporadic.  And people were very nice about not hogging the computers.

I took the pre-trip to Kiev and enjoyed it very much.  And I did go to the open-air museum, which was very interesting.  It rained a little, more of a misting, and that was very welcome.  It had not rained for two months in that whole region and temperatures were dangerously high.

August 31, 2012

To:  pegheeter1

Thank you for your reply.  I guess I will have to decide when we get over there about doing that particular optional.  We also have done others in other countries.  It sounds like you had a very interesting time walking around the city and exploring on your own.  Thank you for your reply.

Author: mertziek

Traveler Since: 2010

September 01, 2012

No WiFi on the ships and the computers had very sporadic Internet connections.

September 01, 2012

About WiFi - were there any internet cafes near the ship/docks?? 

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.