Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: shooting4625

Trips Taken: 6
Traveler Since: 2008

December 27, 2011

Hi all

Shirley and I are booked to go to China in october next year, we have been watching programs showing a company that recreates the warriors in all scales from 31" to 60" high we would like to order one of these while we are there, we are intrigued that the company uses the same clay. Does anyone who have been on the GCT trip to China come across this company or have you had any opportunity to buy something like this in Xian.

Colin

Author: gobuckeyes

Trips Taken: 13
Traveler Since: 2005

December 28, 2011

It's been over 5 years since I did the trip, and I don't specifically remember the exact opportunities to buy them and/or if you could negociate a better price.  

Just sayin'....due to the size/weight of the statue you would probably have to ship them home anyway, so it might just be easier just to buy them online: http://www.terracotta-warriors.com/index.php

Author: pauline

Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

December 28, 2011

I was there in 1998 and with a different tour company.  There is, or was, a gift shop attached to the museum where you could purchase reproductions of the warriors in various positions and sizes, Tang horses (also reproductions), and videos of movies about the rise and fall of the emperor.  Along with the usual touristy kitsch.  They shipped our purchases and guaranteed their safe arrival.  I can attest to that, because my Tang horse arrived damaged and they replaced it.

If you would prefer to order online, you could wait and see how big a piece you wanted by seeing what's available in the shop.  A cousin of mine has a kneeling archer that is full-size, that is full-size of the statue which is, I believe, 5/8 human size.

Author: grammyflo

Traveler Since: 2002

December 28, 2011

I agree with Pauline; wait until after the trip to order online. The museum shop is guaranteed by GCT and the gold dragon jade brooch of bought is as lovely today as it was 4 years ago. A friend of mine from CA ordered one the same size and said it was delivered perfectly. 

Check prices online and then compare to the museum shop. Archer is stunning and I wish I had the room for it!  When I wouldnt buy it they offered a great deal.  Isnt that always the way!!  You will love the terra cotta experience!!!!

Author: luisa

Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji

Traveler Since: 2006

December 30, 2011

Grammyflo: "The museum shop is guaranteed by GCT."

I've wondered about this before: Are the shops OAT/GCT takes us to "recommended" or "guaranteed?" My impression, perhaps from previous threads, was that if you have a problem with a purchase you deal with the shop.

Author: grammyflo

Traveler Since: 2002

December 30, 2011

Luisa: I can only state what our PM told us.  But no need to worry.  I had it appraised when I got home and the Museum Shop did fine by us.  As with my cartouche from Egypt. Bought it on the ship at Luxor. It's a beauty!! Had it appraised when I got home and was delighted with the results.  That is why we tour with GCT. 

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.