Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: cjuk1943

Trips Taken: 3
Traveler Since: 2007

December 27, 2011

On July 2, 2011 three couples of us reserved the Norwegian Coastal Voyage & Lapland trip to depart on July 2, 2012. We paid the entire account in August, including airfare. We were told at time of booking that the new True Choice Air would be effective for 2012 departures and that we could return from Copenhagen rather than the trip's planned Oslo. 

On Sept 26, 2011, we spoke with a GCT rep and were told the only additional charge for changing our air plans from Oslo on July 19 to Copenhagen on July 26 would be to pay a service charge of $100 per person. There would be NO additional charge for airfare. 

Imagine our dismay when the itinerary arrived in my email yesterday. We were booked with the tour to depart Oslo for home on July 19, not the requested Copenhagen on July 26. When I called GCT this morning, the best the air travel rep said he could do would be to depart Oslo on July 26 at an additional cost of $500 per person. This is the new "True Choice Air" plan?  We don't want to go back to Oslo! We want to fly back home from Copenhagen! 

To say we are very disappointed in GCT is an understatement! This is our 4th GCT/OAT trip and the first one we feel we've been cheated!

CJ

Author: luisa

Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji

Traveler Since: 2006

December 27, 2011

It doesn't make much sense if it's the same flight you'd be taking six days earlier from Oslo Returning from Copenhagen could be a different fare. Fares may have changed after your conversation in September, but if you'd paid in August your fare should be guaranteed.

I've taken "breakaway" for $75 and didn't need to pay more for the flight. Five hundred per person is pretty steep but perhaps fares are higher on July 26. It might help to call again and speak to a supervisor. I've gotten different answers from different reps before.

I hope this works out for you.

Author: pauline

Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

December 27, 2011

If you had paid the total by credit card in August, you might be required to pay an additional charge.  However, $500 per person does seem excessive.

I agree with Luisa.  Call again and speak with someone else.  Preferably, a supervisor.  But do a little research first.  Check with the airlines' websites and see what the price difference is between returning from Oslo and returning from Copenhagen.

Author: janice!

Trips Taken: 7
Countries Visited:

many

Traveler Since: 1999

December 27, 2011

Ouch!  I'm sorry this has happened to you.  Apparently, the GCT rep did not make a record of your conversation on Sept. 26 or the record was lost.  You have just made me more aware that verbal agreements such as yours should also be in writing. 

Author: cjuk1943

Trips Taken: 3
Traveler Since: 2007

January 02, 2012

Update: The $500 pp air add-on was caused by the contract GCT has with FinnAir, the only carrier they use for the Norwegian Coastal Voyage and Lapland trip. I still don't understand the $500 add-on. However, GCT has agreed to arrange transportation from the St. Petersburg airport to our trip hotel. And, the flights we will arrange for ourselves look to cost us about $100 pp more than the original GCT airfare we've paid as well as being more direct both going and coming from northern Europe. To be fair, I think GCT staff have made lemonade from the lemons. Thank you to GCT staff!

Author: luisa

Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji

Traveler Since: 2006

January 03, 2012

Glad to hear that it worked out. It sounds like the first person you talked to had it right.

My experience with GCT/OAT and a couple of airlines is that when something doesn't sound right, I check it out myself and then talk to a different rep/reservationist.

It looks like a wonderful trip, I hope you enjoy it.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.