Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: kyran

GCT Trips Taken: 2
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Traveler Since: 2010

December 06, 2011

I received a letter from GCT yesterday stating that we would no longer be sailing on the MS Harmony, but the MS Melody for our Belgium and Holland in Springtime 2012....is this a common practice and why would our ship be changing.  I thought maybe due to the water levels on the rivers, but it states they are sister ships.  THe MS Harmony was ranked pretty high and I haven't seen anything on the MS Melody.  Just a concerned traveler..... 

Author: nanaandpapa

GCT Trips Taken: 12
OAT Trips Taken: 4
Countries Visited:

Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

Traveler Since: 2002

December 06, 2011

Kyran,

We would not be concerned. All of GCT's European River ships, except for the Russian and South of France ships, are basicly the same except for passenger capacity. The cabins are the same and the common areas are very similar except for size. These 2 ships are, in fact sister ships, with the same capacity and layout. It is possible that the Harmony required longer off season maintenance and was not ready for the start of the Holland cruise schedule, causing a reshuffle of the ships schedules. We have been on the Symphony and Aria, and if you didn't look very carefully, you would not be able to tell the two apart. We are also schedued for the Bizet in March, which is smaller than the others, but still almost identical.

Jack and Ann

Author: captainlarry

GCT Trips Taken: 10
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Traveler Since: 2002

December 07, 2011

Our first river cruise was in MS River Symphony and the second in MS River Harmony. The differences were insignificant. The most noticeable difference was that on Symphony all of the Sun Deck was aft of the pilot house. On Harmony the Sun Deck extended all the way forward to the prow. That made for slightly better viewing for the passengers but made it a little harder for the pilot, I'm sure.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.