Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: nmb

GCT Trips Taken: 4
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Traveler Since: 2007

November 02, 2011

RE:  Costa Rica Treasures:  Coast to Coast\

It is implied by GCT's ads that the trips are designed for senior citizens.  However, each trip does indicate you must be in good/excellent physical condition.  Not all senior citizens are in good/excellent  physical condition.  We had to return home after only ONE day of sight-seeing due to my husband's inability to walk fast, keep up with the group, climb stairs, cross streets and maneuver curbs.  It simply was too strenuous and fast paced.  This is totally unsatisfactory.  Not having purchased trip insurance we lost all our invested money and had to pay extra for a return flight home.  Our tour director, Eddie Recio, was excellent in resolving our dilemma.  When booking a new trip with a customer, your staff MUST emphasize and question the prospective triptaker regarding mobility.  We will no longer be able to take trips with GCT for this reason.  By the way, we took the Danube River cruise in May and experienced the same problems.  Unfortunately, we had already booked and paid for our Costa Rica trip. 

Author: grammyflo

GCT Trips Taken: 13
Traveler Since: 2002

November 03, 2011

nmb: Your status indicates you have taken 4 trips with GCT. Where did you go on the other trips where you had no trouble with mobility?

November 03, 2011

We have taken the Egyptian and Nile River riverboat cruise and absolutely no trouble at all.

Also, took the Christmas Markets along the Rhine and again absolutely no trouble at all.

Author: luisa

GCT Trips Taken: 6
OAT Trips Taken: 2
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji. Ireland

Traveler Since: 2006

November 04, 2011

But you posted under "Costa Rica ... " that you had the same problems on the Danube cruise as in Costa Rica, so it sounds as though your husband's mobility had declined from your earlier trips. It would have been a good idea when you realized that to take trip insurance for Costa Rica. 

Sorry it happened to you, but it does illustrate the need to pay heed to the physical requirements on each trip.

November 07, 2011

But, you have missed the point.  We had already bought and paid for our Costa Rica trip when we took the Danube River riverboat cruise.  So, forfeiting the CR trip expense at that time did not seem reasonable or practical.

Also, was trying to alert other travelers about the mobility issue and the fact that GCT does not question a person's ability to manuever quickly.

We have traveled quite extinsively, not only with GCT, but particularly ocean cruises and have never experienced the troubles we had both of these trips. 

Author: pauline

GCT Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

November 08, 2011

I was going to let this whole issue drop, but I feel that I must point out a few things.  In your own words, you admit that GCT does warn that travelers must be in good/excellent physical condition.  They warn that there are stairs and uneven pavements that could cause problems.  In fact, I have felt that they can be over-cautious in making sure that people understand upfront what they are likely to encounter.  They encourage you to purchase trip insurance, and it doesn't have to be Trip Mate.  It can be Travel Guard or any one of the other companies, all of which offer pretty much the same policies.

GCT treats travelers as adults and expects us to know what we can manage.  There's no reason for a travel counselor to question details about an individual's health and fitness.  If we purchase a trip, they assume that we have read the descriptions and have determined that we can handle it.  Since I am a senior with some physical limitations, I do not travel with OAT as interesting as some of the trips sound.  And I have to miss out on a few of the GCT excursions because they can be too strenuous for me to keep up.

Ocean cruises don't offer the same physical challenges.

I always purchase the trip insurance when I pay the deposit.  That way, I am covered if anything happens.  The one time it did happen, my friend was diagnosed with cancer and had to cancel at the last minute.  Since she had no family to care for her after surgery, I canceled my trip as well.  We had also paid deposits on a trip scheduled for a few months later.  Everything we had paid, with the exception of the insurance charges and a small handling fee, was returned with no trouble.

Author: luisa

GCT Trips Taken: 6
OAT Trips Taken: 2
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji. Ireland

Traveler Since: 2006

November 08, 2011

I understood that you'd paid for the GCT trip and would not able to get theirTrip Mate insurance, but you could have bought insurance with another company. The "Insure My Trip" web site offers several options. I bought trip insurance one week before a recent GCT trip that I'd paid for three months earlier.

You're right to point out the possible repercussions of fitness/mobility problems, so perhaps other  travelers will pay attention to the written information about pace and physical requirements.

I'm sorry that you had this experience and hope that you'll be able to travel without problems in the future.

Author: beverlyguest

GCT Trips Taken: 2
Traveler Since: 2010

December 16, 2011

I had a total knee replacement 6 months prior to our trip to Australia, New Zealand and Fiji.

The tour guide made me feel very comfortable as I  went at my own pace. The group was supportive and kept asking how I was doing. My trip was an excellent celebration of our 50th wedding anniversary

Author: suepoor1234

GCT Trips Taken: 0
OAT Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

All the states except Hawaii; east and west Canada, all of Western Europe(except Iceland and Greenland); the Baltics and Scandanavia; Belarus, Poland, Ukraine; Russia; Turkey, Jordan and Israel; China, Mongolia, and Tibet; Egypt, Morocco, Tanzania; Mexico, Costa Rica, Guatamala, El Salvador; Ecuador, Galapagos Islands, Peru, Argentina; Australia and New Zealand; Antarctica.

December 19, 2011

Sometimes one guide pushes a group more than another guide would.  My daughter-in-law took the China trip and she said it was a rather slow pace; however, this year I have heard that some of the groups reported a "strenuous/fast" pace with some of the guides.

I know how the initial writer feels:  I had to cancel a trip I had paid for due to pneumonia.  I had paid for another trip a year in advance, but was diagnosed and had surgery for cancer.  I felt well enough to go on the trip, but I did miss some of the outings so I could rest, but that was my choice.  I did not hold up the group and no one other than the guide even knew why I was sitting out some of the events.  While I perhaps did not get the full benefit of the trip, if I had waited, I might not ever get to go, so it was worth it to me.  The initial writer is just venting a little and warning others to be careful. 

Author: pauline

GCT Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

December 19, 2011

I also have mobility problems.  But not due to joint replacements, just general weaknesses due to age.  And the fact that I've never been particularly athletic.  But it's not the fault of GCT when I have to bow out of a particular excursion.  And if I have to cancel a trip because of illness on my part or that of my travel companion, I don't lose all the money because I have paid the insurance! 

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.