Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: nmb

Trips Taken: 4
Traveler Since: 2007

November 02, 2011

It is implied by GCT's ads that the trips are designed for senior citizens.  However, each trip does indicate your must be in good/excellent physical condition.  Not all senior citizens are in good/excellent  physical condition.  We had to return home after only ONE day of sight-seeing due to my husband's inability to walk fast, keep up with the group, clumb stairs, cross streets and maneuver curbs.  It simply was too strenuous and fast paced.  This is totally unsatisfactory.  Not having purchased trip insurance we lost all our invested money and had to pay extra for a return flight home.  The tour director, Eddie Recio, was excellent in resolving our dilemma.  When booking a new trip with a customer, your staff MUST emphasize and question the prospective triptaker regarding mobility.  We will no longer be able to take trips with GCT for this reason.  By the way, we took the Danube River cruise in May and experienced the same problems.  Unfortunately, we had already booked and paid for our Costa Rica trip.

nmb

Dall

Author: pauline

Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

November 02, 2011

I am a senior citizen, and I know my limitations.  If there's something I find I can't handle, I don't attempt it.  GCT is very straightforward about how strenuous these trips are.  I know I'm not up to the demands of the OAT trips, and so I don't take them.

Anyone who pays out a lot of money for a trip without buying the insurance, either through GCT or from one of the companies like Travel Guard, has only themselves to blame if they lose what they've spent.  I've paid the insurance for years and never needed it, except for once, and then it made up for all the times I hadn't needed it.

Author: fjomartin

Trips Taken: 11
Traveler Since: 2003

November 03, 2011

We had a great time in Costa Rica.  Our Program Director, Guillermo Arietta was one of the best.  Extremely knowledgable and patient.  Made the trip memorable.

We had originally scheduled through OAT but after speaking with one of GCT's very knowledgable personnel,  were advised to do the GCT trip in September 2011 as it was less strenuous.

This is a "must see" trip, beautiful scenery and people.  The turtle nesting and hatching on Tortuguero was amazing.

Author: luisa

Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji

Traveler Since: 2006

November 03, 2011

"It is implied by GCT's ads that the trips are designed for senior citizens.  However, each trip does indicate your must be in good/excellent physical condition.  Not all senior citizens are in good/excellent  physical condition"

I'm amazed that you would book a trip without taking the insurance when you knew that your husband was not in good/excellent physical condition. I read the physical requirements before booking a trip and find them to be quite clear -- a lot of walking, standing, climbing stairs etc. sometimes over rough terrain -- and decide whether I'm fit enough before booking.

Since you had problems on the Danube cruise I wonder why you didn't take insurance for the Costa Rica trip. Even if you'd decided against the GCT insurance you could have bought insurance on Insure My Trip up to shortly before your departure.

I'm sorry that you lost money but you need to be realistic about traveling now.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.