Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: luisa

Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji

Traveler Since: 2006

October 20, 2011

On my last two trips, the handbook gives the range of $4.00 to $6.00 for the PD, but when we arrived, a sheet in the packet reads Program Director $6.00 (no range).

I don't mind giving $6.00 to a good PD but wonder at the discrepancy between the handbook and the onsite information.

Author: pauline

Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

October 20, 2011

Luisa,

I've noticed, and mentioned, that the tipping guidelines haven't changed since I started traveling with GCT.  And that was in 1999!  So if I'm really pleased with the Program Director, I tend to give more than $6.  That's usually the case.  In fact, I can remember only one or two that I could consider only satisfactory.  My sister had a different experience a number of years ago on a transCanada trip that is no longer on the itinerary.  That Program Director never waited until the entire group was off the bus before he started talking, refused to answer most questions, and made remarks about certain of the group that most people would consider anti-semitic.  She did report this in her evaluation.

As far as the local guides and bus drivers are concerned, I tip on the high side of the guideline and usually round up.  We discovered that the guides on the shore excursions from the river ships that if the guides feel one of them has been stiffed, they will combine their tips.  There was an instance when the radios had first been introduced (2006?) that one of the local guides refused to use it, and the people in her group feeling that they had missed a lot because of her intransigence all decided not to tip her.  The other guides made it obvious that they were making it up to her.  Commendable on their parts but, of course, they have to work with her.

If you're following the OAT forum, you'll see a lot of discussion about tips recently.

Pauline

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.